REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 12-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
So I had to put my dog to sleep yesterday

Just want to let this out. Some of you can relate and others might find some info useful.

It was one of the hardest decisions I had to make. I thought I was prepared for it because I knew it was her time but nothing can prepare you for losing someone you've loved as this much. (Yes, someone - she was one of my best and the most loyal of friends)

ChamCham was a 13.5 year old Rotty. I raised her from when she was 2, from the SPCA. She was given up by her PO's because they had to move into a place that didn't allow pets. From what I gather, they treated her really well but their circumstances didn't allow them to keep her. She was full of life, partially trained, great spirit and pretty good manners. She always wanted to play, was great with my 3 year old and my younger nieces and nephews later on. Protective of her home but absolutely friendly when introduced to strangers and other dogs - a true gentle giant.

Of all the dogs I've owned, she's the one I bonded with the most. I used to work out in the bush, up North, for weeks at a time and I let her run free. She always followed us, would come hang out for lunch and dinner and sleep beside my bed at night. She'd warn us of bears or if other animals were coming close at night. There was no outside communication, no cell service or anything. During these times, she was my only friend.

Fast forward to the last couple of months. She developed cancer in one of her front joints and started having trouble walking. Her back legs started getting weak and it got to the point where she could barely walk outside to relieve herself on the front lawn. She would cry all the time cause she was in pain and lay in the same spot, only turning from one side to the other - it was heartbreaking. It got to the point where I had to decide what was best for her and consider euthanasia. In hindsight, the only thing holding me back was my selfish need to keep my friend.

After a lot of research and a dozen calls to local vets, I decided on the clinic that was right for us. We (my GF, son and I) went into an exam room, spent some time with her. Then the tech came in and inserted a catheter in one of her legs in preparation for the drug that would ultimately put her to sleep. The vet came in explained what would happen and gave her the drug when we were ready. I held her head and petted her while the vet injected her. Within 5 seconds I knew she was gone. The vet checked her heartbeat to comfirm it. I stayed, crying, holding her for another half an hour or so, 'til I was somewhat ready to compose myself and leave her. I'm glad the clinic had the foresight to have me prepay because I was in no condition to want to deal with anything when I left.

I can only imagine that's she's running around in a sunny field somewhere, healthy and happy, without a care in the world, just waiting for me to join her - waiting for her friend.

**Cost of euthanasia is approx $150 - $200 for average size dogs, depending on the clinic. This includes the vet service plus cremation. If you want the ashes back add another $150-$200. Some places I called, charged upwards of $600 but in the Tri Cities, where I live, it's a little less. I went with a place that I felt comfortable with, regardless of cost.

**Don't leave your dog alone when it's their time. They would die for you without hesitation because they love you. They would never leave your side. Show them the same respect. The least you can do after years of loyalty is be there at their final breath.

Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 12-19-2010 at 04:51 PM.
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
!SG, - kT, 124Y, 1creator, Akinari, apl_lb, asahai69, asdfpic, AutozamAZ-3, AWDTurboLuvr, Bahhbeehhaaaa, BeeBeeAhn, BillyBishop, BMW135i, Boinky, boss604, cdizzle_996, Ch28, CharlieH, chouchou, clowe, Crooks, distanc3, Eatman, Everymans, Fcukedd, FishTaco, Fox1096, Gary Oak, Gilgamesh, Good_KarMa, guddagudd, guesskid, Gumby, haha13, hchang, Hondaracer, ilvtofu, IMASA, impulseX, insomniac, InvisibleSoul, Jassanova, jeff19, Jegz, jpoon, Jsunu, K-Dub, kknater, Limitless, LP700-4, LsquareD, MindBomber, Mining, Mizter, monkeywrench, Mr.C, MWR34, n0ob, Noir, OTG-ZR2, Porschedog, PsycHo_DraGoN69, rageguy, rawr, rb, RCubed, RecklessNS, RevYouUp, rien, Roach, RouRK, rsx, saiko, Shead, SoNaRWaVe, spideyv2, Splmash, spoon.ek9, ssonss1, Stealthy, SumAznGuy, Szeto, TheNewGirl, tool001, W2K, yamahar6, _Hotsauce_
Old 12-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

what a beautiful dog, sorry for your lost. Pretty sure she's in a better place now, RIP
ImportXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

You were truly her friend till the end. A beautiful dog. I'm sorry for you loss.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

it's tough when you lose a family member
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
looks like an awesome dog.

i bet he went to doggy heaven ...

cheers to chamcham

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.
That was the right thing you did and to be by her side. You are a good person, and she was lucky to have you just like you were lucky to have her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Sorry to hear about your loss.
My family and I also had to put our dog to sleep last November.

It was also tough for me at start because of the many years I spent with my
dog.

Always remember the wonderful times you spent with her!
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
I already dread the day that I'm going to be faced with the same situation. Our little darling chihuahua is only two years old, so hopefully it'll be a long while yet... but I know inevitably it will come at some point. I guess that's the price that has to be paid in exchange for so many years of love and companionship...
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

I am slowly facing the fact now since my dog is now 13 years old and starting to lip around from arthrititis. I don't know if I will ever get another dog again since it is like just having a family member who only has a lifespan of 15 years max.
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Your dog was very lucky to have you. It sounds like she had a wonderful life and was a wonderful companion. I wish every dog could be so well cared for.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #11

Thanks for reading and I appreciate the sentiment.

This is going to take a while to cope with. So many daily reminders - her bowls, mat, toys. What do you do with them?

Our 2yo Yorkie, Buster and her had this hierarchy thing going on during feeding time. They ate in separate rooms but Buster wouldn't start eating until she could hear ChamCham digging through her food - even when we'd give her the OK, she would wait. Last night I go to feed her and she just sat there, in front of her bowl, waiting for ChamCham to start. It was pretty sad to see. Don't worry, I won't be over compensating with her - she's probably going to adjust a lot faster than me.

Jsunu, I'm in the same boat right now. I was contemplating what the purpose of having a dog is, when they're going to die long before us. I've always had a big dog. It's just that I was so close to her and I never had to make the decision to put the others down or was too young to fully grasp what it all meant.

I think we just need to accept that we get to be the best part of their life, however short, from beginning to end and in return, they get to be one of the best parts of ours. That they are happiest when we are happy, when we play with them, when we give them praise and even just our time. In return we get, well...... everything they have. A well trained dog will give you loyalty, companionship, gratitude, protection and a bunch of laughs. If you want to run, they'll run. If you want to sit and do nothing or are sad, they'll sit and wait til you're ready or convince you to get off your butt.

11 years of good times is worth the weeks it will take to move on. I also take solace in knowing she was happy at the end because I was there.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Now my co-workers are thinking I am nuts cause I am teary eyed from reading your second post, especially about Buster not eating and waiting for ChamCham to eat first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
VLS Pet Forum Mod

I feel for you. I just had to put my 'ole man' down 4 mnths ago. It was a hard decision but when he stopped eating for three days it was time. Our vet was great and allowed us to stay in the room with him for as long as needed. I now have his ashes in an urn. It is the toughest decision, but the best deicision. A piece of them is always with you as they leave paw prints in our hearts.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Now my co-workers are thinking I am nuts cause I am teary eyed from reading your second post, especially about Buster not eating and waiting for ChamCham to eat first.
Are they not aware of the rules that allow a man to shed a tear?

Spoiler!

RSUV #7
Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
**Don't leave your dog alone when it's their time. They would die for you without hesitation because they love you. They would never leave your side. Show them the same respect. The least you can do after years of loyalty is be there at their final breath.
As per #10:

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

My baby is only 2.5 years old, but my biggest fear already is having to face the day when I have to let him go. And that's no exaggeration; I get tears rolling down my face at least a few times every week just thinking about it. It's really not healthy for me. I should just enjoy the time I have with him rather than worrying so much about losing him, especially since he's only 2.5 years old.
1-Slicer-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #17
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Not nuts at all.

I got teary eyed just from the first post, then I saw the second post and had the hardest time reading the rest of the thread

It sucks how we all have to live with death throughout our lives. But it's probably best to just focus on the good times now instead of worrying about whats to come later. Pretty ironic considering it's the exact opposite when it comes to our careers/lives

The journey is the reward, the death is just a price associated with the journey.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #18
I bringith the lowerballerith

Putting a pet down is the worst and most painfull decision anyone can make,I know people who refuse to own a pet,becuase they are worried they might have to make this decision down the road,even though they are total animal lovers.

I had four pitbulls,I had to put one down 2 years ago,now I only have three,the three current dogs a have,they are not somewhat the same anymore due to them losing one of their pack mates,even the animals feel it.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
who says a man cant cry? i dont cry much but seeing my 17 year old dog's eyes slowing closing as he was getting his euthansia shot was the hardest thing i had to go through in my life, i cried like a little girl

i love dogs to death but this could be the sole reason why i wont want one again
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #20
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
RIP, and sorry for your loss.

i had to go thru it 3 years ago when hemingway passed away. he was a 14 year old belgium terveran (sheperd)

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
RIP. this was one of the most touching threads ive seen on rs thru the two years ive been on this forum. hope you can get over it? reading this thread totally reminded me of this video.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
VLS Pet Forum Mod

That video was so well done. not a dry eye. feels good to just cry for those who have passed on leaving their pawprints in the heart. This will be the first Christmas without my 'ole man', it's going to be tough. I was hoping my daughter would get to grow up to know him but I think that was wishful thinking. I atleast got a photo of them together the night before I took him in.

To all those furry, feathered, scaled friends that have passed this year; may you rest in peace.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #23

I saw that video posted about 6 months ago and got choked up then. Watching it now, I felt like I was looking in the mirror. His philosophy on the situation, the emotion, even how it went down at the clinic - way too close to home, way too soon.

Pretty speechless other than that so I'll just add this:

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds;
my other ears that hear above the winds.
He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea.
He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being;
by the way he rests against my leg;
by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile;
by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.
(I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.
When I am a fool, he ignores it.
When I succeed, he brags.
Without him, I am only another man.
With him, I am all-powerful.
He is loyalty itself.
He has taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.
He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.
He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him.
And I expect I will - as I always have.
He is just my dog.

(Gene Hill)

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 12-22-2010 at 08:52 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #24
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Thank you for posting and sharing. I went through the same thing with my 13yo Rotty Rocky back in May. As you can guess, the coincidence and similarity is a little too close to home.

Sorry for your loss, you'll see her one day again.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #25
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

My most sincere condolences. While not quite the same, my budgie died early this morning. Of all my siblings, I think I'm the most affected by it - I loved the little guy. My cat is sitting on my lap as I'm typing this. I get attached easily so I know I'll lose it when I lose him.

I can't visit this thread anymore. It's too much at this time. Thanks for letting me get that out.
polvoronn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: