REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Tenant 'breach of tenancy agreement' letter (https://www.revscene.net/forums/633218-tenant-breach-tenancy-agreement-letter.html)

Acura604 12-20-2010 07:55 AM

Tenant 'breach of tenancy agreement' letter

anyone have a template for this ?

caught my tenants smoking weed twice now.. first time they tried to lie to me with some bogus crap "oh it wasn't weed, my friend cooked up some nigerian food"... so i want to get the eviction rolling with a warning letter
first.

Is it as simple as:

landlord info
address
ph number

Dear [tenant]

It has come to our attention that you have breached the terms of our
tenancy agreement by smoking within the suite. This is official notice
that there have been 2 such incidents recorded. Please take appropriate steps to halt this activity. You may face eviction if there is another occurence.

REMINDER: There is NO SMOKING permitted in the rental suite.

regards,

xxxxxxx

Inaii 12-20-2010 08:00 AM

The RTA's website should have a template or official letter to use, have you tried there?
Posted via RS Mobile

TheNewGirl 12-20-2010 08:07 AM

In the future, in your tenancy agreement that you have your tenants sign you can put in a clause stating that participating in illegal activities will result in immediate eviction. While personally I don't take issue with smoking a bit of weed now and then, as a land lord your liable for activities that happen on your premise so I wouldn't want my tenants doing so in and on my property. If you have such a clause and can demonstrate that they read and signed it, you can get to the eviction process faster in the event that you need to.

Additionally you should always use the rental/tenancy board's formats if they provide them (they're on their web site) which will help protect you if the tenant tries to tie you up in arbitration.

6793026 12-20-2010 08:11 AM

that letter should be fine.

if they keep on doing that, then can start the process of getting them evicted, but it's harder than you think.

Selanne_200 12-26-2010 07:50 AM

Getting tenants evicted is very difficult. I've had tenants that didn't pay rent and it is pretty black and white but it still took me over 2 months to get them evicted from the time i submitted the application to them being out of the house. BTW, the cost of getting them evicted could be quite a lot if they want to be difficult. So if you can resolve it with your tenants before it comes down to eviction, do it!

Gridlock 01-12-2011 04:04 PM

I have my people sign the standard lease, and then I add an addendum which clarifies about smoking weed and smoking inside. I then have them initial each clause, and sign the document. It also states the pet policy, general conduct(loud music, and such), and late payment. At least then everything is on record. In person, starting with when we show the units, we go over the same thing. Basically, ours is a 25 unit building, so we can be a little more flexible, but not much. We run a very tight ship. We know that most of the younger renters are going to smoke pot. We ask for cigarettes outside and pot off property, and accept cigarettes ouside, and if I can't smell it, or no one complains, what I don't know doesn't hurt you. It's worked extremely well.

The key is to scare people right up front! I have the addendum available when I show it. I am going to have you sign this. I enforce this. If someone knows that they want to light up in the evening, in peace, then chances are they will move on.

In your case, document everything and write them up. You need to be able to hit them with your best shot.