REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 12-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

P0401 Code - Port Plugs

Im still wondering about the egr brass plugs.
im thinking it only exists on some cars. mostly hondas.
This still makes me wonder if i need or will have to remove them if they are there. I have no idea if they are on my car...
Does anybody know

In this video, he pulls out egr port plugs with a slide hammer.
Near the end of this video you will see the plugs

In this video it is an accord and there are no egr port plugs, its a metal gasket that can be unbolted.

The gasket im talking about he takes off at about 2 minutes 40 seconds.

Does the 97 3.0cl have the same configuration or is the only passage to clean from the intake manifold and the block egr port?

Thank you
Advertisement
fei_mui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Since you have the car, why don't you take a look and report back to us?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

these videos on port cleaning are for 4 cylinder's only. done lots of them
I'm not as sure on the acura side of things, but i think the 97 cl is the same as 98 accord.
if you're looking to clean the egr port on the v6 3.0, you have to remove the intake manifold, drill out the plugged passage underside of the manifold. Then install a install a steel sleeve into that passage to prevent future clogging. (or at least slow it down). replaced the egr valve too. There's an update kit for this particular dtc. on the honda side of things anyways.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Since you have the car, why don't you take a look and report back to us?
i wanted to gather information before ripping off the manifold, thought someone had done one before or at least seen this before. Where his port plugs are, mine aren't located in the same location so i was unsure.

I will be making a video of this when i do it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck View Post
these videos on port cleaning are for 4 cylinder's only. done lots of them
I'm not as sure on the acura side of things, but i think the 97 cl is the same as 98 accord.
if you're looking to clean the egr port on the v6 3.0, you have to remove the intake manifold, drill out the plugged passage underside of the manifold. Then install a install a steel sleeve into that passage to prevent future clogging. (or at least slow it down). replaced the egr valve too. There's an update kit for this particular dtc. on the honda side of things anyways.
Cool, this was a bit of reassurance.
I called a couple guys at acura and they told me dont waste your money with the kit because it dont make a difference.
One of my buddies worked for acura and sayd its a money grab, dont make a hell of a difference, still jams up, not at as much he says dont waste your money.

Thanks tho
Old 12-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
RS controls my life!

The kit was part of a bulletin going back quite a few years now. Like i said, this was a honda bulletin. Whether or not acura had the same bulletin, i'm not sure.
But if its clogged up to the point where it's setting a dtc, i can't see drilling and cleaning out the passage and replacing the egr valve, not making a difference. As far as i know, this bulletin with the kit does work. But as for the very, very long term, i can see it clogging up many years down the road again, it's just the way egr's are. It's the nature of the beast. However, with the update, i can also see it slowing down the clogging process.
I've been working for honda over 20 years now. Honda and acura seems to be a smaller network and somehow within this network, everyone seems to know each other. Which Acura dealer did your buddy work at?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

he worked at the Lynnwood Acura in Lynnwood, USA, 20-40 miles North of Seattle.