REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

point threshold for suspensions

I got a 1 month suspension over a year ago. I haven't had any tickets with points up until tonight. disobeying a stop sign 3 points. should i be expecting a 3 month suspension notice in the mail sometime soon? or am i in the clear?

I have my N still. I can take my class 5 in a few months. if i dispute it do you guys think i will i be able to obtain my class 5 before the court date?
Advertisement
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Ya, if you let the ticket go through you will lose your licence.

Dispute it and get your class 5.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:04 AM   #3

i also noticed the cop signed for me where i was suppose to sign. took him less than 5 minutes to do everything, handed me my ticket said here ya go and left.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
How long did you EXPECT it to take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

As I understand it, if you have your N and you get any form of violation you go on probation automatically. Further violations will result in suspension further than that will lead to loss of your liscence, it can also lead to them extending your period before you can test for your class 5 (as happened to my sister recently).

You'll want to appeal ASAP especially if he filled it out incorrectly, but if ICBC has already processed a suspension notice I doubt you'll be able to test for your class 5.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Being on probation is irrelevant; suspensions and revocations are based on points, as long as you don't exceed the maximum points nothing will happen.

If you dispute a ticket, you can test for a class 5 and avoid the suspension, its a classic loop hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
As I understand it, if you have your N and you get any form of violation you go on probation automatically. Further violations will result in suspension further than that will lead to loss of your liscence, it can also lead to them extending your period before you can test for your class 5 (as happened to my sister recently).

You'll want to appeal ASAP especially if he filled it out incorrectly, but if ICBC has already processed a suspension notice I doubt you'll be able to test for your class 5.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

While that's a handy loop hole that's utterly moronic on ICBC's part.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Being on probation is irrelevant; suspensions and revocations are based on points, as long as you don't exceed the maximum points nothing will happen.
This is not exactly true. Some consequences may be automatic beyond a point threshold, but anything that brings your bad driving to the attention of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles may prompt them to suspend you. A dozen "fail to display L or N" within a month won't get you any points, but it may well garner you a "We're watching you very closely and if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!" er... oops, movie flashback
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[ "We're watching you very closely and if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!" er... oops, movie flashback [/QUOTE]

Yeh I kinda remember that movie...have not been that messed up since the early 1970's though.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
so hes needs to dispute it and get his test right away before his appearence for the dispute??

cant ICBC check for his driving history and see that he has a dispute in progress for running a stop sign and not allow him to take the test?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #11

I don't think ICBC checks your record before a road test... technically, it's not relevant. All that's required is that you have a valid license, since it is, after all, a road test. If you lose your dispute, your license is suspended immediately, and you're not allowed to drive on the public roads, which makes it difficult to do a road test.

Until the court date, it's innocent until proven guilty.
Quote:
Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
it takes 4 points to lose your license. you usually get put on probation after your first ticket, unless it's something like driving without due care/consideration which are 6 points...

so dispute your ticket, take your class 5 test, get your class 5 then go to court and if the cop shows up, please guilty and ask for a reduction.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
it takes 4 points to lose your license. you usually get put on probation after your first ticket, unless it's something like driving without due care/consideration which are 6 points...

so dispute your ticket, take your class 5 test, get your class 5 then go to court and if the cop shows up, please guilty and ask for a reduction.
Pretty sure it's 3 points.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
so hes needs to dispute it and get his test right away before his appearence for the dispute??

cant ICBC check for his driving history and see that he has a dispute in progress for running a stop sign and not allow him to take the test?
they do not.

i went to my road test with a courtdate 4 hrs later, and 3 more still in the system and i got my class 5 now
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
IIRC even after you get your class 5 you'll still get suspended. the best you can make out of this situation is to nab the class 5 so you dont have to wait another year / 2 years to get it.
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

thats still worth getting, even if u get suspended oh well, they can't take away your class 5 tho and bump you back to N
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:56 AM   #17

i got another one tonight lol. cop followed me for 20 minutes @ 3am until i finally semi-fucked up. i stopped at a red light (but quickly) creeped up slow to turn right. and he pulled me over saying i didnt full stop at the red light which im positive i did full stop. especially already knowing hes been following me for so long i was conscious .

he gave me a ticket for no N he said. but on the ticket it says driving contrary to restrictions. so he gave me the wrong ticket. can i mention this and pay the no N ticket over the one he gave me. no points vs points

im terrified to drive at night. i never drive over the speed limit yet over 50% of the time i will have a cop tail me. my car is a heat box and im always driving past 2am from northvan to richmond. (friends / gf)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Pretty sure it's 3 points.
no i know for a fact it's 4 points. 3 points would mean that if you get one speeding ticket or too many passengers ticket, you lose your license. What they say is you're ALLOWED one ticket, which means you will not lose your license after one... unless it's something like driving without due care, which carries 6 points.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
IIRC even after you get your class 5 you'll still get suspended. the best you can make out of this situation is to nab the class 5 so you dont have to wait another year / 2 years to get it.
no you won't get suspended if all you have is 4 points. You will just have to pay for the points at the end of the year, you get a letter a month before your birthday.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6chr0nic4 View Post
i got another one tonight lol. cop followed me for 20 minutes @ 3am until i finally semi-fucked up. i stopped at a red light (but quickly) creeped up slow to turn right. and he pulled me over saying i didnt full stop at the red light which im positive i did full stop. especially already knowing hes been following me for so long i was conscious .

he gave me a ticket for no N he said. but on the ticket it says driving contrary to restrictions. so he gave me the wrong ticket. can i mention this and pay the no N ticket over the one he gave me. no points vs points

im terrified to drive at night. i never drive over the speed limit yet over 50% of the time i will have a cop tail me. my car is a heat box and im always driving past 2am from northvan to richmond. (friends / gf)
driving contrary to restrictions is what you get if the cop is a dick and wants you to lose your license. He could be nice and give you a no N ticket, which would not carry any points. Driving contrary to restriction carries 3 points. You should dispute that ticket for sure. Then go to court, if the cop shows up, ask the judge to change the ticket to a no N ticket, and reduce the fine. Minimum fine for the no N is like $50 and does not carry points.