REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
I don't get it

Clarification about Points

I recieved my 4th regular speeding ticket in March 2010. I am a class 5.

If memory serves me correct, my very first ticket I recived in 2007 and then I recieved another 2008, and another in 2009 and the last in 2010. All about a year apart.

The very first ticket I had my N. The rest belongs on my Class 5.

So I should have 12 points on my license, I looked on the sticky and in there it says that I would need 14 points plus to get to probation. Now Im wondering when my license switched from a N to Class 5, do those 3 points get carried over?

Am I relatively safe from getting a suspension? I cannot afford that as my current job is no where near public transportation and I travel to go to school from my work directly on some days. Im just worried that I might find myself without a license for 3 month soon.

thanks in advance
Advertisement
DavidYeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGunna View Post
Now Im wondering when my license switched from a N to Class 5, do those 3 points get carried over?
Yes.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

can you pay off points?
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

A certain number of points get removed from your licence each year... if you have any, that is. I don't know how many (it's been YEARS since I was even pulled over, nevertheless had a ticket... so I can't tell you the details...). Go to the ICBC website, I'm sure the answer is there.

And if you get more than 5 (?) at a time... ICBC sends you a bill for your points premium. At least they used to... when I sped a lot as a dumb teenager, I managed to get two tickets in one year... 6 points... I had to pay $300 for those points to go away. I'm sure that's on the ICBC website too.

You can always go into a Driver Services Centre and get a print out of your driver's abstract, and if I recall correctly, it tells you how many points and violations you've had in the last 5 years.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
A certain number of points get removed from your licence each year... if you have any, that is. I don't know how many (it's been YEARS since I was even pulled over, nevertheless had a ticket... so I can't tell you the details...). Go to the ICBC website, I'm sure the answer is there.
I thought so too, but I couldn't find anything on the ICBC website about it. Used to be three points got taken off per year... maybe they changed that?

Website DOES say that if you give up your license for a year, they remove ALL the points, and you can get a reduction on the premium if you give it up for 30 days (doesn't say anything about a reduction in the actual points though).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
6 months before your bday, 3 points are taken off, as per BCDL when they lady told me.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #7

There you go. So for the OP: you should be fine, you should be down to 6 or 9 points by now (depending on when your birthday is).

You can go into any licensing office or Driver Services Center and get a printout of your driving abstract, that should tell you how many points you have.
Quote:
Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

Why so many speeding tickets?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The 5th year of your record gets expunged from the system. Every 5 years. In that period of time, you may NOT exceed 12 points (basically 1 minor speeding ticket a year). if you do, then they will send you either a notice of intent to prohibit or notice of prohibition.

The points are calculated up to 3 months (i think) before your birthday. Points are about $100 each now.

They do NOT take off 3 points 6 months before your birthday. They start CALCULATING how many points you got 6 months prior to your birthday.

You have to pay for points, either way.

That's about it.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Why so many speeding tickets?
VTEC kicked in, yo.
Quote:
Old 01-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

points go back 5 years. so he has all 12 on his current record.

the yearly thing is just for extra payment. only points durring 12 months count for the etra fees. every year this is reset. you only pay extra if you have more then 3 in a year. and you only pay for them once.

this is supposed to change to 3 years but I don't think it has yet.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
I don't get it

Thanks all for your replies, yeah I dont know, one was in that ubc zone when it slows down to 50, I was doing 64, and the other was before the tunnel on the 99 where it goes down to 80 and I didnt see and was doing 100. The other two I had no excuses for, both like 70 in the city.

I've been doing the speed limit or under since then, but now i feel like everytime I drive I am pressured by the cars behind me when im doing even 5 over the limit. (yes, im in the righest lane possible. But I dont care, i cant loose my license so Im going to continue doing the limit.
DavidYeh is offline   Reply With Quote