REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   All-Clad (https://www.revscene.net/forums/634314-all-clad.html)

Culverin 01-05-2011 04:04 AM

All-Clad

Caveat:
If you're a casual foodie, then you'll want to skip this thread.
But if you're pretty hardcore (or bored), then read on. :fullofwin:

I managed to snag myself an older commercial 6 burner Wolf gas range for $300. I'm uber proud of myself for that.
:fuckyea:

But now, my cheap Value Village (no joke) pots and pans aren't cutting it anymore. Especially with the plastic handles, they are actually burning and making my place smell like noxious chemicals.
I'm definitely in the market for new cookware.

I figured this thread was a little asinine. I doubt that any of you guys has tried all of these. I'm not really expecting too much, but I thought I'd post this anyways just for kicks.

Can anybody comment on:
All-Clad - Stainless D5
vs
All-Clad - Copper Core
vs
All-Clad - Stainless (3 Ply)

Copper Core has a little worried, dishwashers are not recommended for it. Since both the Stainless and Stainless D5 can handle dishwashers just fine, I'm wondering why the Copper Core is so much more brittle?
If it can handle a commercial stove top, salamander and oven use, why wouldn't it be able to handle a residential dishwasher?

The D5 line is supposedly "induction optimized", but I'm suspecting that might just be a marketing ploy to cash in on the "new thing" but I'm not sure.
On one hand, induction cooking would be heating the core used for generating heat, not for even distribution which would suck. On the other hand, if copper core was so awesome, why move "backwards" to something more durable?

And if both of these are marketing ploys, then why not just stick with the standard stainless line?

lols.
cheers :D

unit 01-05-2011 09:19 AM

if you have a gas range then try the MC2 line. it wont work with induction stovetops, but its a fair bit cheaper than the regular stuff and people claim its just as good. however in 10-20yrs if you buy a place with induction stovetops, you cant say your all clad pans will last a lifetime anymore.

Culverin 01-06-2011 05:58 PM

Hmmm, that's true.

What do you use at home?

lowside67 01-06-2011 06:36 PM

I have started collecting the basic All-Clad tri-ply stainless series and have been extremely impressed with them. They feel great in the hand and I have been very happy with their performance - even heating throughout, the frying pan I have has great response to adjusting the flame, etc. I have been picking them up on sale for the last year or so (have 3 pieces now - heavy bottom pot, frying pan, and small saucepot) and will continue to do so as I find good deals.

I do not put my pans or knives in the dishwasher, despite both being labelled dishwasher safe. The MC2 is pretty comparable to the tri-ply stainless in my understanding, it is the outside finish that makes it not dishwasher safe and while they look great, they have been more expensive where I have been looking!

-Mark

Matlock 01-06-2011 07:04 PM

Congrats on the wolf. I work in high end homes and always think they look so awesome whenever I see them. Those guys usually get huge external fans to go with them.
Get a sub zero fridge and your kitchen will look so cool.
Posted via RS Mobile

unit 01-07-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7254209)
Hmmm, that's true.

What do you use at home?

my workhorses are a 10" calphalon triply french skillet and 10" calphalon nonstick. im looking to add a 2qt and 3qt all clad saucepan and a cuisinart 12qt stainless steel stock pot or a calphalon 12qt anodized aluminum stockpot. cant decide which would be better. definitely not going to go all out with an all clad stockpot because they're like 400 dollars. i have a few cheap saucepans and stockpots that im using right now in the meantime. btw, i've worked with all clad cookware before and i just didnt like the handles. they're super narrow and i understand that its probably because you're supposed to use them on gas ranges with side towels all the time, but its just really awkward to hold normally. anyone else agree with this?

anyway sadly i can talk about cookware all day but gotta get back to work

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7254277)
I have started collecting the basic All-Clad tri-ply stainless series and have been extremely impressed with them. They feel great in the hand and I have been very happy with their performance - even heating throughout, the frying pan I have has great response to adjusting the flame, etc. I have been picking them up on sale for the last year or so (have 3 pieces now - heavy bottom pot, frying pan, and small saucepot) and will continue to do so as I find good deals.

I do not put my pans or knives in the dishwasher, despite both being labelled dishwasher safe. The MC2 is pretty comparable to the tri-ply stainless in my understanding, it is the outside finish that makes it not dishwasher safe and while they look great, they have been more expensive where I have been looking!

-Mark

oh god... huge facepalm to those who put knives in the dishwasher.

Culverin 01-12-2011 11:21 AM

Anybody played around with Mauviel?