REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #26
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I actually own both of those watches (although my santos 100 is not XL; its a standard sized gold/steel model) and of the two I'd say I wear the Tank a bit more. It's a very sleek looking watch and very versatile as it looks great with a suit or a pair of jeans; if you only have one nice watch it is very important that it can be worn a lot.

People on the forums have recommended Panerais and personally, I would avoid buying one. I like them a lot, but they're extrememly trendy right now, and likely won't remain as desirable in years to come. They're very much a fashion watch (as many would argue cartiers are), but all of their designs are almost exactly the same and eventually they will go out of fashion. Cartier Tanks have been a great watch for many years and you'll love it.

Personally, I would see if I could get something secondhand on timezone.com or check out collectorstime.com Collectorstime is a malaysian shop which has great deals and the guy is extremely reputable (google zeetan for references).

It is really nice getting something unique, but at the 5,000$ range you won't find much better than a Cartier Tank (esp something which will retain value). You'd be stuck with a Panerai Logo at that price (which is an awesome watch but it is their base model).

Check out Nomos watches; they're very reasonably priced and really an excellent value. Unlike cartier, panerai, breitling (and most of the bigger watch brands) they don't buy their movements from Swatch (they own ETA and Valjoux , and are the largest movement maker in the world by far). If a watch house makes their own movements it is typically a sign that they are serious watchmakers and worth purchasing.
Advertisement
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I'm going to be really bias and say no to rolex. Yes, it is a time piece, yes it's a nice brand and yes it's worth it. However, there are some bias judgment on it's been 'worn' to death. You know how people used to wear TR, R&R jeans, north face puff jackets..etc. It's really nice, but after a while everyone seems to be rocking them and it lost it's 'uniqueness'.

There's one thing I've noticed on the lower end model: Rolex used to be very classic and holds it's resell value, but within these 10 years, there are a lot of custom designs available eg// case, dial, bezel, luminous marker, numbers, lug... etc. There are so many custom user defined customization making it really hard to resell.

I was going to say the same for Panerai but it's usually more common in Asia where everyone is wearing them; especially girls.

just my 2 cents.
Rolex and TR are not even in the same class.

I have yet to see guys wearing puffy jackets and R&R jeans with Rolex's .
darkfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Update ! so I finally got my watch ! Its the Cartier Tank. I pick it from the duty free across the boarder for $4500 with discount, after tax is a litte over $5000. Overall I am very happy with the watch ! Thanks guys for all ur input !
Pumbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #29
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Quote:
I'm going to be really bias and say no to rolex. Yes, it is a time piece, yes it's a nice brand and yes it's worth it. However, there are some bias judgment on it's been 'worn' to death. You know how people used to wear TR, R&R jeans, north face puff jackets..etc. It's really nice, but after a while everyone seems to be rocking them and it lost it's 'uniqueness'.
+100 on this. No doubt it's a great peice of machinery with loads of heritage, but it's too played out with people buying it merely for the brand name, while being totally ignorant in knowing and appreciating what makes a Rolex so good in the first place.

Along the similar vein, why Top Gear says Audi's (formerly BMW) are driven by "cocks." They don't buy them because they are good cars, they buy them as a status symbol just to flaunt and show off.

IMHO the Grand Seiko is the complete opposite of the Rolex. It's superbly built and priced as such, but is super understated; only people who know and appreciate watch craftsmanship will recognize it. It is the 'anti' rolex.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of leather because if you need to get it replaced, you do need to pay a good 300 dollars. I like metal because it will and does last a long time, it might skratch up a bit but it will be years yet leather bands does have wear and tear a bit more easily.
Also as an additional note, trying to get a crocodile strap across the border is a b*tch. My Zenith was held in customs for 3-4 weeks because of the strap. Most of my watches are on a metal bracelet, but a leather strap is a must for a dress watch for me.
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

If you want real flashy and fancy ones, try bvlgari. But I recommend a G-Shock, durable, cheap for a watch, and in style.
mkings is offline   Reply With Quote