REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

So they would pay attention to the sticker not being there? Why not print one.

If you think they can run your plates... I doubt these private companies have access to the DMV database, because I mean geez, why dont I start a parking company and be able to run everyone's plate and address right?

Now we need someone to get caught and see the real consequences because legally I dont see why you cant get away with it other then the parking company towing your car before you can get to it and wanting money for unpaid tickets under the latest plate used.
Advertisement
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #27
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate View Post
These are cool toys but are people really serious about investing all the time and effort to install these things to save 3 bux on parking?
once u have these, it can be used for quite a few things

red light camera
tolls
parking

basically any places that have camera/infrared setup to take a picture of ur plates to use against u.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #28
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
A conviction for making fake insurance stickers involves jail time I believe, but thats not the point. Police go into parking lots and run plates all the time, its the police running a fake plate that you need to worry about, because once they see that the plates are not registered to the car they'll assume they're stolen or expired and tow it.

Plus, like I said before, plate flippers are highly illegal.

The plate that tucks away under the bumper is cool, I might actually get one, but you couldn't tuck it the plate under the parking lot in a public place because the plate needs to remain visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash View Post
So they would pay attention to the sticker not being there? Why not print one.

If you think they can run your plates... I doubt these private companies have access to the DMV database, because I mean geez, why dont I start a parking company and be able to run everyone's plate and address right?

Now we need someone to get caught and see the real consequences because legally I dont see why you cant get away with it other then the parking company towing your car before you can get to it and wanting money for unpaid tickets under the latest plate used.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

The sticker says British Columbia, this might be what technically would be the fraud part which one can omit and again somewhat overlap with a custom license plate "Canuck" cover to fool the parking attendant... and the cops towing your property from a private establishment may not be the same for if its on the road with no plates (but with custom vanity plates) and no insurance so I guess its best to really consult a lawyer who would dive into the details about this and if one can afford one, scamming parking would be the last of his/her worries

http://roadtostarrdom.com/wp-content...2010/02/bc.jpg

Last edited by Arash; 01-06-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #30
SardaukarMod

so much misinformation in this thread.

i can't speak for the unpaid parking tickets = collection agency = ruined credit.

what i CAN speak of (to a limited degree) is this:

a private parking lot accessible by the public and is for use by the public. thus it is still considered a "highway" as per the BC MVA.

Quote:
“highway” includes
(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,
(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,
but does not include an industrial road;
TLDR: a private paid parking lot is still a public highway.

Quote:
Number plates
12 (1) Each number plate must bear the licence number of the motor vehicle or trailer for which it is issued, and shall be of a material and design determined by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, and is and remains the property of the corporation.
Quote:
(3) The number plate or number plates issued for a motor vehicle or trailer must be displayed on it in the manner prescribed by the regulations at all times while the motor vehicle or trailer is on a highway.
TLDR: You HAVE to display the plate given to you by ICBC if your vehicle is on a public highway (see definition above).

Quote:
Offences
13 (1) A person commits an offence if the person drives, operates, parks or is in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway
(b) without displaying on it, in the manner prescribed, the number plates issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer, or
(c) that has displayed on it a number plate other than those issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer.
(2) Every peace officer, officer or constable of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or the police department of a municipality or inspector authorized under section 217 (1) (a) to inspect motor vehicles may seize a number plate that he or she finds detached from a motor vehicle or trailer, or he or she finds displayed on a motor vehicle or trailer other than the one for which it was issued, or that is required under this Act or by a direction of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia to be surrendered, and may hold it until the receipt of instructions from the corporation as to its disposal.
(3) Subsection (2) applies in respect of number plates and motor vehicles whether on a highway or elsewhere, and for the purposes of that subsection an officer or constable of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or the police department of a municipality may enter without warrant the land or premises of any person on or in which there is a motor vehicle or trailer.
TLDR: You're committing an offence if you don't display your given plate properly.

as for switching plates once you get a ticket, yes that might work for (specifically) not getting towed on the spot if you already owe money to the parking lot company.

BUT

when you park in a private parking lot and get a ticket, then the parking lot company sends you a collection notice in the mail, where do you think they got your name and address from? FROM ICBC. who else can make that connection between the license plate they see on a car in their lot and your name and address? even the police depend on ICBC's database for such information.

how? parking lots claim that you consent by their regulations when you park on their property (no seriously, take a look at the fine print on the ticket stub or on the signage the next time you park). while this may be vague in terms of implied consent, it's what they go by. they then rely on ICBC to give them the necessary information. ICBC releases your information to them under the BC FOIPPA (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act).

Quote:
Disclosure inside or outside Canada
33.1 (1) A public body may disclose personal information referred to in section 33 inside or outside Canada as follows:
(b) if the individual the information is about has identified the information and consented, in the prescribed manner, to its disclosure inside or outside Canada, as applicable;
(i) if
(i) the disclosure is for the purposes of collecting amounts owing to the government of British Columbia or a public body by
(A) an individual, or
(ii) in relation to disclosure outside Canada, there are reasonable grounds for believing that
(A) the individual the information is about is in, resides in or has assets in the other jurisdiction, or
(i.1) for the purposes of
(i) a payment to be made to or by the government of British Columbia or a public body,
(ii) authorizing, administering, processing, verifying or canceling such a payment, or
(iii) resolving an issue regarding such a payment;
(j) in the case of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, if
(i) the information was obtained or compiled by that public body for purposes of insurance provided by the public body, and
(ii) disclosure of the information is necessary to investigate, manage or settle a specific insurance claim;
TLDR: if you owe money to the government or to a public body, that public body or the government can request information of other people/databases (like ICBC) of your personal information in order for them to collect the money you owe them.

Quote:
Definition of consistent purposes
34 (1) A use of personal information is consistent under section 32 or 33.2 with the purposes for which the information was obtained or compiled if the use
(a) has a reasonable and direct connection to that purpose, and
(b) is necessary for performing the statutory duties of, or for operating a legally authorized program of, the public body that uses or discloses the information or causes the information to be used or disclosed.
TLDR: if the reason for disclosure of your personal information isn't explicitly stated in this Act, as long as the purpose of the disclosure of such information is consistent with the purposes of this Act and its sections, then that information may be disclosed.

there's a bit of a grey area there as a parking lot company is not a public body as recognized by FOIPPA by any means but S.34 vaguely allows for that (arguably) as it's for a consistent purpose (of collecting a debt).

---

so there you go. park unpaid with care.

or

just pay the damn $3/hr.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)

Last edited by seakrait; 01-06-2011 at 01:28 AM.
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #31
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
once u have these, it can be used for quite a few things

red light camera
tolls
parking

basically any places that have camera/infrared setup to take a picture of ur plates to use against u.
Errr... that would mean you would have to display your fake plates all the time LOL. I hope the peeps that does this gets pulled over by a cop.
cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

Thanks for the info seakrait
I guess the law can give you one of the following penalties

1 not displaying your license plate or having them on

2 the above penalty plus fraud for the look alike plate (even thou it doesnt bare the provincial labels or logos)
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #33
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Now that we're past fake license plates, has anyone actually been threatened or towed by a parking company for unpaid tickets?

Mine are from years ago and I've never heard anything from the company, but this thread has me a bit concerned.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #34
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Stop wasting your time speculating with fake plates. You're just going to get in more trouble having them on your car.

Here is my personal experience. I do not pay for parking unless there is an attendant to take my money from me (jobs). If the parking lot has a box, where you just get a ticket or enter your stall number. My wallet stays in my pocket, my change stays in my ashtray.

I have parked in numerous lots downtown, BCIT DT and BBY Campus, Douglas College Coq surface lot and 2 hr street parking, the lot at my gym and any other lot in the city. I'll admit, i've probably changed the plates on my car 4 or 5 times and probably have accumulated 70 tickets over a 5 year span.

My car currently is in my garage, it has never been towed and I have never paid a ticket or fine. I still get collection notices in the mail and the occasional phone call. I ignore both and continue on with my life. I've probably saved hundreads of loonies and twonies from not paying parking, yet I only pay $18 to get a new identity for my car.

adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

and if you're worried about your credit rating... I was approved for a $360,000 mortgage a few months ago and I've been accumulating tickets since 2005.

Now, if you have morals or a concious. I suggest you continue paying the outrageous costs companies charge per hour for parking. The ordeal you have to go through of switching plates, saving money, ignoring mail/calls and generally just being on top of your game will take some attention. If you slip up, you "may" get towed.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Old thread but I just got a ticket from Impark. My ticket says my plate is 300 ABC but my plate is actually 330 ABC.. Im guessing the guy misread my plate when he issued the ticket.. should I just ignore it? ABC isnt my actual plate btw.. didnt want to put up the letters for obvious reasons

Last edited by jack3d; 05-16-2011 at 01:57 AM.
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
Old thread but I just got a ticket from Impark. My ticket says my plate is 300 ABC but my plate is actually 330 ABC.. Im guessing the guy misread my plate when he issued the ticket.. should I just ignore it? ABC isnt my actual plates btw.. didnt want to put up the letters for obvious reasons
I'm guessing whoever has plate 300 abc will be getting a letter in the mail.
Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
Old thread but I just got a ticket from Impark. My ticket says my plate is 300 ABC but my plate is actually 330 ABC.. Im guessing the guy misread my plate when he issued the ticket.. should I just ignore it? ABC isnt my actual plates btw.. didnt want to put up the letters for obvious reasons
yes ignore LOL u are lucky
even if it was correct i'd ignore it too
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #39
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Haha.. glad I dodged a bullet on that one.. I was entering my plate online to pay and noticed.. Thanks RS
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #40
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
impark also randomly have those "toys for tickets" drive around Xmas time. Donate toys, void your ticket.

I just grab a 98 cents matchbox car from zellers or something and call it a day.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #41
Rs has made me the man i am today!

They also take photos of your license plate, car model & badges, and your VIN number now.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #42
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Anyone heard of "ParkingInvoice"? I got one the other day, while I was getting change for the meter. They have my car model as "OTHER".
andrewness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #43
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I haven't paid them, and I've had my car towed.

That being said the amount of money I'd have to pay to park all the time, getting towed once every 6 months is almost worth it.
CooterPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #44
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdesign View Post
They also take photos of your license plate, car model & badges, and your VIN number now.
Source?

What if I were to cover up my VIN with a piece of tape or paper?
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #45
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Source?

Posted via RS Mobile
Not sure about impark, but diamond parking services takes a picture of the plate&car with the ticket displayed. I've seen many cars being ticketed at the lot beside the Richmond passport office.
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #46
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Source?

Posted via RS Mobile
I've seen the Impark guy at kwantlen doing this, taking pictures of the plates at least, don't know about the vin though
Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #47
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Not sure about impark, but diamond parking services takes a picture of the plate&car with the ticket displayed. I've seen many cars being ticketed at the lot beside the Richmond passport office.
Diamond Parking is a scam. They'll ticket you if you don't pay, or if u do. Then they'll call u everyday for like 3 months. Don't pay and don't pick up the phone. And your good. But if you park in 1 of their lots again, you'll get towed. =P
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #48
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Here is how cops identify and run plates in the parking lot and on the higway

WATCH IT!!!

Cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #49
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
Here is how cops identify and run plates in the parking lot and on the higway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGY1CD9y_4
the ALPR has been around for quite some time now. it's mostly used to combat auto theft though (to find dumped stolen autos or being driven by the thieves). probably not for you people not paying your parking fines. lol.

Quote:
Source?

Posted via RS Mobile
in my previous post on this page, i note that the parking lot company is able to get your personal info from ICBC based on "implicit consent" you give by entering and parking in their lot.

thus, covering up your VIN does you no good. they will still get your info from your plate.

so unless you have no plates, have fake plates, or run stolen plates, the parking lot company will know who you are (or at least the registered owner). even if you change your plates, icbc obviously has a history of the plates you've used so you're still screwed there. what that will save you though is having your car towed because you already owe the parking lot company fines on a few outstanding tickets.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #50
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Is there anyone here that doesn't pay, then switch their license plate on the 3rd Ticket. For school parking.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 09-25-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: