REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #26
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

If your friend's such a good driver and wants to drive on his own he should get his fucking drivers license.

If your friend got in an accident regardless of WHO caused it he would be liable at least to some degree as he's also in violation (driving with out a license). And as others have said above it's very likely charges could be brought against him. I don't think at 17 or what ever you really understand what an impact having a criminal record or a potential driving ban can have on your life.

You can call me old all you like but that doesn't change the fact that the kid is flagrantly breaking the law. The law doesn't give a shit how uncool it is to have to have your mommy in the car with you while you drive or how hot your date is on Saturday night or how you'd rather break the law then take the bus.
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #27
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
in the end, the "worst case scenario" probably wont be even as bad as people are saying here if he does get into an accident

ICBC and the cops are so fucking lax on shit like this, I know of like 4-5 situations that are wayyyy worse than this that happened to people i personally know, and they ended up getting out of it owing under the cost of damages, no money for the other party, and basically driving again in under a year when under the circumstances you would think the situation would result in a lifetime ban.

people i know of got busted for DUI 2-3 times, driving without a licence at least 2-3 more times during that probation period under non-family members insurance, get into accidents without a liscence/personal insurance, and those people are now back on the road today.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
revoked = suspended.
Not really.

http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...src=ref&ch=dic
"to take back or withdraw; annul, cancel, or reverse; rescind or repeal"

http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...src=ref&ch=dic
"to cause to cease for a time from operation or effect, as a law, rule, privilege, service, or the like: to suspend ferry service.

"to debar, usually for a limited time, from the exercise of an office or function or the enjoyment of a privilege: The student was suspended from school."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #29
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ oops, wrong symbol LOL

it was supposed to be revoked>suspend.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
in the end, the "worst case scenario" probably wont be even as bad as people are saying here if he does get into an accident

ICBC and the cops are so fucking lax on shit like this, I know of like 4-5 situations that are wayyyy worse than this that happened to people i personally know, and they ended up getting out of it owing under the cost of damages, no money for the other party, and basically driving again in under a year when under the circumstances you would think the situation would result in a lifetime ban.

people i know of got busted for DUI 2-3 times, driving without a licence at least 2-3 more times during that probation period under non-family members insurance, get into accidents without a liscence/personal insurance, and those people are now back on the road today.
If you really want to operate on the assumption that because some other people anecdotally got away with all kinds of stupid shit, it's okay for you to do the same kind of stupid shit, then you're an even bigger idiot than the OP's cousin.

Hey, I know someone who shot himself in the face with a 12-gauge and didn't even get hurt... maybe you should do the same thing! Come on, it'll be fine, nothing bad will happen!
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
^ oops, wrong symbol LOL

it was supposed to be revoked>suspend.
Heheheh, nice backpedaling
Quote:
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

i try, i try. I'd make a good corporate criminal one day
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #33
Female Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
lmfao, people on here are too old.. jkjk

no but seriously, i know people who only have their learners who can actually drive better than people with their N. When my buddies would take a car out with their L they would be extra cautious and less reckless. I dunno, just my take on it. It's wrong but come on, dont wish for the kid to get into an accident. Getting pulled over and having your license taken away seems good enough..
extra cautious and less reckless doesn't mean other people on the streets are safe drivers..

it may only seem fun for so long until something happens and someone gets hurt. it doesn't matter who is at fault in the accident as well, he didn't have his drivers license.

i wont curse the kid and hope he gets into an accident, and i'm not questioning his driving skills BUT who knows? Who's to say good drivers don't get into accidents? He should just stop driving alone with his L, saves a lot of people a lot of problems.

----------------------------------
Before sex, you help each other get naked. After sex, you only dress yourself.
Moral of story: In life, no one helps you once you're fucked.
FI-Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #34
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
anecdotally
not really. i never heard stories of the worst case scenarios that were written on here, but i have heard plenty of L (solo driving) + accident = no charges/not automatic fault

being at-fault = different story.

question: is there a specific statement on this particular restriction that ur insurance is void/automatic fault in violating it/crash? or is it just the fact that ur not following one of the restrictions on ur license?
if latter than,
would u be automatically at fault if u got rear ended (100% not ur fault)but u werent wearing corrective glasses?
99.9% unlikely
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
If you really want to operate on the assumption that because some other people anecdotally got away with all kinds of stupid shit, it's okay for you to do the same kind of stupid shit, then you're an even bigger idiot than the OP's cousin.

Hey, I know someone who shot himself in the face with a 12-gauge and didn't even get hurt... maybe you should do the same thing! Come on, it'll be fine, nothing bad will happen!
Did I say I was doing that stuff?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Did I say I was doing that stuff?
No, you didn't. You sure do seem to be advocating the concept, though.
Quote:
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #37

Quote:
No, you didn't. You sure do seem to be advocating the concept, though.
it's more than i'm choked that as a good driver, people who are shit/irresponsible morons usually get off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist for something that imo should result in 10 year + driving bans
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #38
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
not really. i never heard stories of the worst case scenarios that were written on here, but i have heard plenty of L (solo driving) + accident = no charges/not automatic fault

being at-fault = different story.

question: is there a specific statement on this particular restriction that ur insurance is void/automatic fault in violating it/crash? or is it just the fact that ur not following one of the restrictions on ur license?
if latter than,
would u be automatically at fault if u got rear ended (100% not ur fault)but u werent wearing corrective glasses?
99.9% unlikely
If you look at the back of your ICBC policy sheet in the red square box and read point number 3..."may invalidate the certificate"...that says that ICBC will not cover you if you are breaking the law, if they choose...and you know they will when an unlicenced ( learner with no supervisor) driver crashes.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #39
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolerama View Post
Just completely curious, my dumb cousin is driving all the time *as a learner (L)* and is not driving with anyone at all, if an accident occurs through the fault of the opposing party (other person), will ICBC pay for damages to his vehicle? Thanks.
It's probably too late, but there is a very real legal loophole in this scenario. If your cousin was eligible to take his N test at anytime before the crash, that is, he had finished his L term already, he has one and ONLY one chance to get everything covered by ICBC and washed away. The chance is that he must take the next available N test ASAP, and pass it on the first and only try. If he passes the test ICBC will be lenient and consider him an eligible driver at the time of the accident and provide full coverage, although his premiums will go up. Should he fail, ICBC will not cover a cent, not pay for the damages to his car, and not pay for the damages to the other party (vehicle and bodily injuries). Due to the tremendous pressure to pass the N test in such a circumstance, I highly recommend against this approach.
epicbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicbeardman View Post
It's probably too late, but there is a very real legal loophole in this scenario. If your cousin was eligible to take his N test at anytime before the crash, that is, he had finished his L term already, he has one and ONLY one chance to get everything covered by ICBC and washed away. The chance is that he must take the next available N test ASAP, and pass it on the first and only try. If he passes the test ICBC will be lenient and consider him an eligible driver at the time of the accident and provide full coverage, although his premiums will go up. Should he fail, ICBC will not cover a cent, not pay for the damages to his car, and not pay for the damages to the other party (vehicle and bodily injuries). Due to the tremendous pressure to pass the N test in such a circumstance, I highly recommend against this approach.
The danger in this kind of advice is that "being lenient" is a judgement call, and there's at least as good a chance they WON'T be, and the ploy will fail. Just because they did it once for someone you know, doesn't mean anyone there will care to do it again, ever.
Quote:
Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #41
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The core argument here is that someone who is such a bad/inexperienced driver that he can't even pass/has not yet passed his L road test.....is such a good driver that he knows he will be able to avoid all crashes because of his advanced driving skills? and he is ready to break the law to prove this???? Do we have this correct?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Jesus christ at some of u guys saying the kid deserves to get into an accident. I used to drive around with my L and I know a bunch people who have, I had one close call but luckily I didn't get hit..
All of us were once young and dumb and have done stupid things, If not then u are a square. Tell ur 'cousin' to stop though, incase anything does happen and he fucks up his parents insurance.
Posted via RS Mobile
Wow you're hardcore
Posted via RS Mobile
apple_cutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Jesus christ at some of u guys saying the kid deserves to get into an accident. I used to drive around with my L and I know a bunch people who have, I had one close call but luckily I didn't get hit..
All of us were once young and dumb and have done stupid things, If not then u are a square. Tell ur 'cousin' to stop though, incase anything does happen and he fucks up his parents insurance.
Posted via RS Mobile

just cause you have done it doesn't mean you should go around advertising it
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #44
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicbeardman View Post
This is totally true. I believe they require you to produce an N--pass the class 7 test--within a very short period of time (5 days I believe) to be eligible for coverage. Failing means paying up as there's a two-week wait to retake the test.

And while I believe there're loads of people, who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a vehicle, have full licenses or N licenses, it's dangerous to drive alone in a L. There are very few competent L drivers.

The guy should just simply stop driving alone with an L because it's pretty stupid to do that. And if he cause an accident, there're drivers on the other side who would get hurt. You don't feel sick wishing him "learn his lesson by getting into an accident"? He needs to be educated but not that way.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #45

http://images1.memegenerator.net/Ima...fw32r4efeafrea
Quote:
Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #46
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I'd be curious to hear what the actual percentage of people who go this route actually pass the test. Most people don't past their N on the first try; factor in that the person is an idiot, was just in a car accident and is under massive pressure to pass and I doubt thats a viable option for many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
This is totally true. I believe they require you to produce an N--pass the class 7 test--within a very short period of time (5 days I believe) to be eligible for coverage. Failing means paying up as there's a two-week wait to retake the test.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #47
xxx

Quote:
lol is that bill nye the science guy
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post