REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

BCIT Airport Operations

Has anybody ever gone through this program or know about it? The website makes it sound really good, but I was wondering if you can actually get a job upon graduation, if the positions actually pay good and if there's room in the jobs for advancement.

I am registered part-time for a 2 courses because the full-time doesn't start until September. A lot of people are graduating but are there enough positions for everybody. And what's up with the field trip to the US do you guys know anything about that?
Advertisement
donthatethegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,333 Times in 5,645 Posts
I took a tour of the aerospace campus early this year

I don't know if this involves the air-traffic controller stuff but the teacher said only like 3 ppl in 35 pass the final air traffic simulation because you need to pretty much have a brain wired to do that kind of stuff

The aerospace campus is super nice though
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Hey thanks for the reply. What's this final air traffic simulation thing your talking about? I know the air traffic controller is something totally different from airport operations.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #4

they put you in a room with like 8 60" LCD's and plug in a typical day at YVR or another big airport, you need to manage the flights for a certain amount of time and they will throw in one major event that you need to deal with

even then your not guaranteed a job but thats what you need to pass to be approved by the canadian government to become an air traffic controller

not sure if your program will be at the aerospace campus or not though
Old 01-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

do they train you to become an air traffic controller at bcit? because the courses i registered for for airport operations are at the aerospace campus but the job descriptions are like ticket agents, security, bagging coordinator. air traffic controller is a whole new level. where you hear that from?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
ddr
Snapping away

take this with a grain of salt .... but my gf applied so she briefly explained it to me

the airport traffic controllers are from NAVTAQ i think. one of hardest jobs out there accompanied by a high suicide rate. b/c your mistake could result in the death of many others. the stress involved sounds insane. even if you can handle it for the next 10 or 20 years, you have to sure this is a life-long career you want to get into.

while the program in airport operations involve duties and occupations such as management or baggage coordinator

i don't think you need a diploma to be a ticket agent. and airport security is done by CATSA, which requires almost no post-secondary education.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #7

The program you enrolled in isn't air traffic control so dont worry lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthatethegame View Post
Has anybody ever gone through this program or know about it? The website makes it sound really good, but I was wondering if you can actually get a job upon graduation, if the positions actually pay good and if there's room in the jobs for advancement.

I am registered part-time for a 2 courses because the full-time doesn't start until September. A lot of people are graduating but are there enough positions for everybody. And what's up with the field trip to the US do you guys know anything about that?
Finding a good airport job seems to be getting harder to come by these days. It makes it easier for you to find a job but it doesn't absolute grantee a job when you grad. Pay wise is anywhere from $18,000 - $130,000 a year depending on position and experience. Room for advancement takes time and is usually based on seniority (depending what you get into)
The field trips are to go and explore and see how other airports other than YVR operate and etc. and sometimes you might get an intern job that elsewhere than YVR.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
i have two coworkers who took airport operations at BCIT and are doing nothing with it right now, i don't think it did them any good
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Si
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
even then your not guaranteed a job but thats what you need to pass to be approved by the canadian government to become an air traffic controller
wrrrrrooongg bro, canadian govt has nothing to do with with air traffic control. NAV canada is private corporation
Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #11

Yes that's what I meant, I was thinkng transport Canada at the time but I couldn't remember what the instructor had said when we went on the tour
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

So do you guys think it's a good idea to take it? I just want a job when I finish the diploma really...
Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Imho, I didn't take the airport operations course at BCIT (@ the old campus) but I did go through with one of their aerospace programs there. When I was first looking into applying, everything looked/sounded really good but after graduation, it was a lot harder to find a job than you would think. If you're prepared to spend some time job hunting and paying your dues, then this may be for you. If you think you'll get paid 30k+ once your diploma's done, then I'll say this is probably not the right thing for you
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

hey kind of a late reply
I have 4 friends who, I am pretty sure, took this program but this was about 6 or 7 years ago. Yeah I know this was long ago but maybe it can help you.

After graduating, one is actually working for YVR. Mind you she was top in her class and she is really into airports/planes. I am not sure what she does exactly but one time I ran into her at the airport and she was driving those transport for old people but she gave me a free parking pass hehe. I guess she is some kind of airport official making sure things run smooth.

Another one is working (or was working) for Coast Mountain Airlines in the check in area, also at YVR. Third one went to Florida to continue with her studies related in the field at Embry-Riddle. The last person opened a business with some buddies of his, selling paint gun stuff.

I do remember driving down to Seattle with them and other friends for the field trip, but I didn't go in so I don't know what it was all about, probably a tour of how things are run. Anyways I know this info is kinda old but if you are still really interested I can ask any of them some questions.
02em2 is offline   Reply With Quote