REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #76
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
It's funny, because if you look at the reviews, a lot of them have the Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. apps installed, but they're not available through AppWorld (at least not yet) ... Kind of weird ...

Anyways, I got a chance to use it today for about half an hour. Screen is REALLY nice (a lot nicer than my friend's Motorola Xoom, which we had side-by-side), definitely multi-tasks well, but WebOS owns the crap out of it as far as functionality goes. Even WebOS 1.4.5 (original Pre) has more functionality than QNX, let alone the current versions of WebOS ... I have a gut feeling WebOS 3.0 is going to be years ahead of QNX when the HP Touchpad is released unless Blackberry fast-tracks their feature-sets and functionality via updates ...

The tutorial at the beginning is super-annoying ...
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #77
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6insomnia9 View Post
It really surprises me how ipad is at its 2nd generation and still does not support flash.

Flash is pretty useful to me as I'm going to be mostly browsing on it and on RevScene we come across a lot of embedded links. I can't wait to get my playbook and do the blackberry bridge

And ill get the new device , blackberry bold touch and I'm set until the next berry comes out

Posted via RS Mobile
http://www.gsmarena.com/adobe_flash_...-news-2530.php

Flash will available soon for iOS. One of the reasons why Apple refused to incorporate flash into their devices is because it makes the web experience significantly slower. I've played with the xoom and with flash content enabled, browsing the web does feel alot more sluggish and not as fluid as the ipad.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #78
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Even WebOS 1.4.5 (original Pre) has more functionality than QNX, let alone the current versions of WebOS ... I have a gut feeling WebOS 3.0 is going to be years ahead of QNX when the HP Touchpad is released unless Blackberry fast-tracks their feature-sets and functionality via updates
WebOS will never surpass QNX. Besides, you're comparing apples to oranges. QNX is a real-time mission critical OS. WebOS is based off Linux, which is significanlty inferior to QNX.

What you're talking about are the interfaces on top of the underlying kernel, which is the part that people interact with. It would be easy for RIM to make the interface as slick and functional as WebOS. HP could never make the kernel of WebOS as good as QNX.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #79
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6insomnia9 View Post
It really surprises me how ipad is at its 2nd generation and still does not support flash.

Flash is pretty useful to me as I'm going to be mostly browsing on it and on RevScene we come across a lot of embedded links. I can't wait to get my playbook and do the blackberry bridge

And ill get the new device , blackberry bold touch and I'm set until the next berry comes out

Posted via RS Mobile
Lol you make it sound like the don't know how to support flash. They purposely choose not to support flash. Probably never will.
Posted via RS Mobile
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #80
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19 View Post
http://www.gsmarena.com/adobe_flash_...-news-2530.php

Flash will available soon for iOS. One of the reasons why Apple refused to incorporate flash into their devices is because it makes the web experience significantly slower. I've played with the xoom and with flash content enabled, browsing the web does feel alot more sluggish and not as fluid as the ipad.
I could reallly not care if Motorola or any other company makes their own tablet , nothing will ever convince me to buy anything other than the Blackberry Playbook or even the Ipad. For whatever reason apple does not support flash , that is totally up to them, that is one less thing that will convince me to buy apple products. And how slow can it get? I doubt people will start RQing because it loads up 2 seconds slower with flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Lol you make it sound like the don't know how to support flash. They purposely choose not to support flash. Probably never will.
Eh, a lot of people use flash , it will be on phones sooner or later.

Posted via RS Mobile
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #81
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Cracking me up the radio ad said that they open at 7:30 so get up bright and early! HAH When the fuck has anyone ever lined up for a crack berry product.
I'll be sticking with my m11xr3 and nexus s combo thx.

Last edited by Death2Theft; 04-19-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #82
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Lol? What does your alienware have to do with the playbook?
Posted via RS Mobile
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
WebOS will never surpass QNX. Besides, you're comparing apples to oranges. QNX is a real-time mission critical OS. WebOS is based off Linux, which is significanlty inferior to QNX.

What you're talking about are the interfaces on top of the underlying kernel, which is the part that people interact with. It would be easy for RIM to make the interface as slick and functional as WebOS. HP could never make the kernel of WebOS as good as QNX.
It's been out for 12 hours, how much actual experience do you have with the Playbook, exactly ?

Yes, nothing compares to the Playbook because it runs QNX. Everyone else should stop making tablets because the Playbook runs QNX which is the greatest thing ever. Let's just completely disregard all of its many flaws because it runs QNX. We'll just completely ignore that our first demo unit stopped displaying half the screen on the first day until a reboot and that we had one returned within 3 hours of launch with it stuck on bootup ... because it runs QNX, OS of champions. Want to edit the photos you've taken ? Nope, can't do that, but it's QNX, so it's okay. Want to edit your videos ? Want to take a picture in portrait and be able to view it fullscreen ? Ha, what are you retarded or something ? You obviously can't do that, but it runs QNX, so it's okay. Want to use your POP or IMAP e-mail ? Good luck without a Blackberry phone, but it has QNX, so that's okay. Want to play Netflix on your HDTV ? At least it has QNX, though, right ? Want to have 40 separate browser pages open just for shits and giggles ? Well, you could do that on a Palm Pre w/ 256MB of RAM, but the almighty QNX can't do it with 1GB. Want to do anything most people would want to do ? Too bad, but at least it has a technically superior OS, even though you can do absolutely fuck all with it at the moment.

All hail QNX, new OS champion for the last 12 hours ...

I don't need a lesson about QNX and I certainly don't need 5 lessons saying the same thing I already knew before you even said anything in this thread.

QNX needs updates and apps or it's going to get left in the dust ...

Last edited by Jmac; 04-19-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #84
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
It's been out for 12 hours, how much actual experience do you have with the Playbook, exactly ?

Yes, nothing compares to the Playbook because it runs QNX. Everyone else should stop making tablets because the Playbook runs QNX which is the greatest thing ever. Let's just completely disregard all of its many flaws because it runs QNX. We'll just completely ignore that our first demo unit stopped displaying half the screen on the first day until a reboot and that we had one returned within 3 hours of launch with it stuck on bootup ... because it runs QNX, OS of champions. Want to edit the photos you've taken ? Nope, can't do that, but it's QNX, so it's okay. Want to edit your videos ? Want to take a picture in portrait and be able to view it fullscreen ? Ha, what are you retarded or something ? You obviously can't do that, but it runs QNX, so it's okay. Want to use your POP or IMAP e-mail ? Good luck without a Blackberry phone, but it has QNX, so that's okay. Want to play Netflix on your HDTV ? At least it has QNX, though, right ? Want to have 40 separate browser pages open just for shits and giggles ? Well, you could do that on a Palm Pre w/ 256MB of RAM, but the almighty QNX can't do it with 1GB. Want to do anything most people would want to do ? Too bad, but at least it has a technically superior OS, even though you can do absolutely fuck all with it at the moment.

All hail QNX, new OS champion for the last 12 hours ...

I don't need a lesson about QNX and I certainly don't need 5 lessons saying the same thing I already knew before you even said anything in this thread.

jellysaurus detected.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #85
I STILL don't get it

QNX may be a superior operating system but what does it mean to the average user? I believe most if not all operating systems in end consumer electronics and computers are not real time. Are we running mission critical tasks that have hard schedules that must be met? Most likely not. iOS may not multi-task nicely, and that's one of its flaws.

On low power mobile processors, QNX may run more efficiently. But these processors are getting more and more powerful to the point where they can run Windows. Everyone here has experience using Windows, OS X, and Linux right? These aren't real time operating systems (though there are real time variants) but yet they still seem to do their job no?

It is like comparing apples and oranges but to the average user its still a fruit, and that's all they will see.
JaSoN_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #86

Anyone try it out? It's a good start.

- Platform is good.
- UI on the smaller 7" real estate is very good.
- Multitasking suspends your app
- Still needs SDK with developer frameworks and a rich app ecosystem, obviously
- Flash is nice to have but interaction with touch input is uber fail - Flash is clearly designed to be used with a mouse and the reason why they had to include a youtube app.

Overall, I think it has potential esp with the business crowd.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #87
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:

Actually, it appears you do need a lesson. You said WebOS was better than QNX and I corrected you. You can't seem to understand the difference between a kernel and layers (interfaces, apps) on top of the kernel. QNX is damn near perfect. The problems with the Playbook are not because of QNX, but because of the UI that's running on it.

I already said the Playbook has many flaws and was rushed to market before being ready. I guess reading comprehension > you.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #88
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Tried it out, the one MAJOR flaw for me is the fact that the power button is TINY and EXTREMELY hard to depress.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #89

Given a stable os, how often do you need to turn it off? I haven't turned my macbook or iPhone off in ages. Maybe RIM's expecting users to just leave it on.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Actually, it appears you do need a lesson. You said WebOS was better than QNX and I corrected you. You can't seem to understand the difference between a kernel and layers (interfaces, apps) on top of the kernel. QNX is damn near perfect. The problems with the Playbook are not because of QNX, but because of the UI that's running on it.

I already said the Playbook has many flaws and was rushed to market before being ready. I guess reading comprehension > you.
Where did I say WebOS's kernel (which apparently is the only thing that matters) was better ? I said WebOS has more functionality and will be years ahead unless RIM fast-tracks updates that improve the functionality and features of QNX on the Playbook. Reading comprehension > you.

WebOS > QNX at the moment AS A WHOLE ... and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Again, what fucking good is a "damn near perfect" kernel if the system as a whole is completely fucking useless ?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
Tried it out, the one MAJOR flaw for me is the fact that the power button is TINY and EXTREMELY hard to depress.
I found that to be a major flaw as well. the button as tiny as fuck, and the media controls next to it are pretty useless lol. I read that the device can be unlocked by sliding your finger horizontally across the whole screen though, so it might not be too annoying. Overall, the OS was quite fast and everything seemed to work well, especially the multitasking

Last edited by jeff19; 04-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.
jeff19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #92

Downloading 3rd update in 5 days (1st on Monday before launch, 2nd on Tuesday evening).

Another 215 MB update ... Hopefully adds more functionality ...

On the plus side, my GF took some surprisingly great photos w/ the Playbook. Good cameras on it.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #93
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

The 7" screen just kills it for me. The extra couple inches other tablets offer enrich the browsing experience so much more. I guess the small form factor is a selling point for some people. Not for me though.
z2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #94
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
played with the playbook today. what a piece of crap
who da fuck would buy that shit???

the lack of buttons is major. took a good 1-2 mins of swiping just to exit a program and get back to the home screen.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #95
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
^ahh you swipe up from the bottom.....
one swipe
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #96
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2_alpha View Post
^ahh you swipe up from the bottom.....
one swipe
took us a few thousand swipes in every direction to get it working.

I'd opt for the Galaxy tab/ipad over the playbook anyday

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #97
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
played with the playbook today. what a piece of crap
who da fuck would buy that shit???

the lack of buttons is major. took a good 1-2 mins of swiping just to exit a program and get back to the home screen.
RTFM, that's all I have to say. Once I did it became a lot easier to navigate.

You have to remember to start off-screen with the swipes.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #98
I'll be good I promise.

Thanked 1,551 Times in 329 Posts
Quote:

Good to know that playbook is idiot proof.
Kim Jong Un is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #99
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

i was actually like that at first as well until i asked someone at futureshop to get to the fucking home screen. i dunno, if the bridge feature will work with bbm etc flawlessly, then i might get it. i wasnt to overly impressed with it.

now im just the average person here, not some power business type so this tablet may not be for me. i think the ipad is more of a fit for me, screen looked better, a ton more apps etc etc.
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #100
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

CrackBerry anything without BBM is not going to sell period