REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

How rigious are pre-owned cars checked at a car dealers?

I'm looking into buying a pre-owned mitsuibishi from a mitsuibishi dealer.

How much can I trust them to inspect the car?

If they haven't, I can trust them to do a good job on a 100+ point inspection at their own service department?

or should I bring it to another mitsuibishi dealer to get it inspected?

*I meant rigorous in the title.
Advertisement

Last edited by iceburner; 01-11-2011 at 10:33 PM.
iceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Rigious?

Btw BCAA will probably do a less biased job and is pretty affordable
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
spammin my services for a case of stella...

1. Bring your own mechanic - pay BCAA certified mech to do 100+ inspection.( my aunt got screwed at Richmond DUECK )
2. If you are buying vehicle worth at least 10K BUY WARRANTY.

What i am trying to say is at the end at least you wont be dissapointed with your purchase. In the best case scenario you will loose approx.$125.00 on mech.inspection and 400-500$ on warranty. Is it worth it if you are buying 10k+ vehicle that you are possibly planning to keep for a while? I say so =)

Rigious= rigorous?

quality > quantity
midnight_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
^ lol what warranty is 400$? Cheapest I've seen is like $1500, up to 5/6 grand for higher end brands. To op, it all depends on the mechanic, some slack, others do great jobs.
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Ooo which model are you getting?
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburner View Post
I'm looking into being a pre-owned mitsuibishi from a mitsuibishi dealer.

If they haven't, I can trust them to do a good job on a 100+ point inspection at their own service department?

from every dealership I know, they're all just a quick blowby from any apprentice/mechanic for value when they take as trade-in. they're more in it for the money than for the actual quality...

That being said, I seem to remember some dealerships take better care of brands that are theirs (being the fact that they can diag those cars they see everyday)
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Get it inspected by your own trusted mechanic, probably way cheaper than BCAA. Stand there and see how they work, maybe ask smart questions but don't get in their way. I personally wouldn't go with BCAA.

Warranty is only there to get your money.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
ky

Stealership < 3rd party PPI.
ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Hopeless Romantic

Hm... almost gonna hijack this thread for a question...

But when looking at a used car at a dealership... in terms of inspections, what is the likelihood a dealer will let you take the car to a certified mechanic of your choice? assuming there is some distance between the shops...?

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shun Izaki View Post
from every dealership I know, they're all just a quick blowby from any apprentice/mechanic for value when they take as trade-in. they're more in it for the money than for the actual quality...

That being said, I seem to remember some dealerships take better care of brands that are theirs (being the fact that they can diag those cars they see everyday)
And how many dealerships do you know? Of the 4 dealerships I have been at, probably 80% of the mechanics did very thorough inspections. Also, a mechanic isn't part of the appraisal process for trade ins at most dealerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanner_ View Post

But when looking at a used car at a dealership... in terms of inspections, what is the likelihood a dealer will let you take the car to a certified mechanic of your choice? assuming there is some distance between the shops...?
If that's what it takes to earn your business, most dealerships are willing to let you do this, unless they are hiding something.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
And how many dealerships do you know? Of the 4 dealerships I have been at, probably 80% of the mechanics did very thorough inspections. Also, a mechanic isn't part of the appraisal process for trade ins at most dealerships.

If that's what it takes to earn your business, most dealerships are willing to let you do this, unless they are hiding something.
exactly the honest ones have nothing to worry about so they will.
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
When I traded in my car they just took it for a quick test drive and took it.

They didn't notice that my passenger window regulator needs to be changed and my ABS actuator is intermittent or that I have a line of dent going along the side. (hard to see, but once you see it can't be unseen.)

I'm glad they took it from me, because even though it ran great it would have been hard for me to sell by myself.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
When I traded in my car they just took it for a quick test drive and took it.

They didn't notice that my passenger window regulator needs to be changed and my ABS actuator is intermittent or that I have a line of dent going along the side. (hard to see, but once you see it can't be unseen.)

I'm glad they took it from me, because even though it ran great it would have been hard for me to sell by myself.
Appraisals are always very brief, quick drive, quick look over and a couple phone calls. If we spent a couple hours on each trade, we wouldn't take 75% of the ones we do lol.

Where did you buy your Suzuki btw?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

Did those dealerships provide you with papers detailing what the checked?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Did those dealerships provide you with papers detailing what the checked?
Those are dealerships I have worked at. And yea, inspection papers are always provided. They list all the main aspects, whether it passes or not, what it needs/leaks etc. Tire life, brake life etc, recommendations etc.

Then we take care of everything that needs attention to ensure it's safe for the customer to use.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Appraisals are always very brief, quick drive, quick look over and a couple phone calls. If we spent a couple hours on each trade, we wouldn't take 75% of the ones we do lol.

Where did you buy your Suzuki btw?
Orca Bay Port Coquitlam
Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
err, worked at 3, and been to many in my life.

but meh, nothing that's said on RS is to ever be taken seriously anyways. those are just MY experiences...
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
I help report spam so I got this! &lt;--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanner_ View Post

Get them to let you pay a deposit and take it to a mechanic for a full inspection and test drive. Dealership's test drive route is usually short and the guy will just bs all the way distracting you. If they've got nothing to hide, they'll be happy to let you do it.

If they don't let you do that, walk. Not worth it. I don't get why people even bother trusting the STEALership? What does it matter what kind of paper they have.

All you need is a carproof and own mechanic+test drive. Other paper could mean swat.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Anyone want to recommend a mechanic in north van?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Yea, it's very important that they let u take it to ur mechanic. If they dun let u then it definitely raises a red flag. My experience with BCAA is very mixed. It really depends on which mechanic u get. I talked to a few & they really do a decent job. At the same time, a one that went to look @ my friend's car just glanced and didn't even bother to get his hand dirty.

My mech is in Richmond, but if u want to give him a try, pm me
Posted via RS Mobile
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #21

from my experience, the dealership i work at, we have the regular saftey inspection(Used vehicle inspection) plus BCAA inspection.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i work at a dealership too, and just from what i've seen. The sales and service department are enemies. The service department always wants to charge the sales department whatever they can. At the dealership i work at, i see inspections done properly, and mostly all the time they handle the problems.

I've seen lots of cars on the lot that needed new shock absorbers, brakes, brake rotors if theres a vibration. They seem pretty good about getting the car in tip-top shape before it goes out.

BCAA inspections. They are great, because they are good bargaining points. However, they are not always true. They are very picky and will write any flaw the car has on the report, but I was selling my old toyota 4runner last summer, and when BCAA did the inspection on it they noted that the "transmission seal" was leaking. I looked under the car, and there was no leaks what so ever. I had the car sprayed with a oil based rust proofing/undercoating. It was a black in colour i believe. No where near the blood color of ATF.

Quote:
Anyone want to recommend a mechanic in north van?
I know a good mechanic.

Gold Wrench Automotives in North Vancouver on east esplanade.

The mechanic is very knowledgable. Has done plenty of work to all my cars and family members cars. I had my BMW's engine overhauled there too. They work on all makes of vehicles. Small maintenance items, or big jobs. Good prices too.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #23
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
I'm looking into buying a pre-owned mitsuibishi from a mitsuibishi dealer.

*I meant rigorous in the title.
We put all our pre-owned vehicles through a 150-point safety inspection, and we rate each item like so:
1 = fine
2 = normal wear
3 = needs adjustment
4 = needs replacement
5 = not applicable

Anything that is a safety issue will be fixed before the customer takes the vehicle home. We will not sell a vehicle with a cracked windshield or safety issue, because it's a huge liability. (and it's illegal!!)

However, some people think that certain cosmetic or minor mechanical issues constitute a 'safety' issue. If you are looking at a used car with 150,000km, it may have a little vibration in the steering, or it may drip a bit of oil.. IT HAS 150,000km on it!!! It won't be perfect!!! But we will make sure the brakes are 30% or more and the tires are 30% or more, and all the lights and required systems work. A broken cup holder arm is NOT a safety issue.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #24
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
i work at a dealership too, and just from what i've seen. The sales and service department are enemies. The service department always wants to charge the sales department whatever they can.
Not the case here.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #25

if a vehicle needs a lot of work done which costs a lot of sales department money, they'll just wholesale the vehicle. also depending on the yr and km on the vehicle.