REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Over 30 new red light cameras go online

VICTORIA (NEWS1130) - Thirty-five new red light cameras will be up and running at intersections across BC on Tuesday. By year's end, an additional one hundred cameras will be in operation.

Nicolas Jimenez, ICBC's Road Safety Director, says they've done a lot of research to target specific intersections. "Intersections where you'd most likely to see the kinds of crashes from red light running that cause injury and death. So these are the head-on collisions and the side impact crashes," he explains.

And all of the cameras have been upgraded. "We're going to have digital cameras at every site and we're going to wirelessly transmit the data."

That means if you run a red light, you'll get that $167 ticket a whole lot faster. ICBC expects about 33,000 tickets to be handed out, up from 23,000 last year.
Advertisement

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
People who run red lights shouldn't be driving period
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
so many situations where i had a truck infront of me therfore i had a blind spot of the light and i saw the camera take a pic but never got tickets haha happend to me like 20 times
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
MOD

ICBC launched a major expansion of its red-light camera program today, with more locations, better equipment and a much greater chance of getting caught.

The $20-million expansion will see the total number of intersection cameras in the province rise from 120 to 140.

But the actual number of red-light cameras will more than quadruple.

That's because while there were 120 intersections in the old program, there were only 30 film cameras, which were rotated on a regular basis from site to site.

The new program will install fully functioning digital cameras at all 140 sites, significantly increasing the chances of offenders being caught and speeding up the time it takes to send out the $167 tickets.

ICBC has published an online map identifying all 140 locations where the new cameras will be installed.

The insurer says 35 of the 140 sites will go live on today and the remainder will become operational by year's end.

Vancouver will receive the most red-light cameras under the new program, at 46, followed by Surrey (29), Burnaby (11) and Richmond (8).

Overall, Metro Vancouver cities will receive 122 of the 140 red-light cameras.

With new digital cameras at all 140 sites, authorities in theory could catch many times more red-light runners than they did before.

However, ICBC has said that it will not activate all of the cameras all of the time.

"We don't want people to perceive this as a cash cow so you've got to find the balance," Nicolas Jimenez, ICBC's head of road safety, said in an interview last summer. "Because if the public doesn't support these things, then the will to maintain them isn't there. ... We want to really maintain public support for the program while optimizing the benefits."

For that reason, ICBC has said it plans to activate the cameras when they're likely to have the most benefit, such as during the morning and afternoon rush hours.

While the new system will increase the number of cameras more than fourfold, the province has said it is expecting a far less dramatic increase in ticket fine revenue, from $3 million a year to $4.4 million.

To decide where to put the new cameras, ICBC undertook a complex analysis of which intersections in the province would benefit most from a red-light camera.

Road safety engineers looked not only at the total number of collisions at each intersection but also the type.

Certain types of crashes, such as head-on and T-bone collisions, can be significantly reduced by installing a red-light camera.

In contrast, fender benders sometimes get worse if you install a camera, because cautious drivers are more likely to slam on the brakes as soon as the light turns yellow.

ICBC's analysis also looked at the severity of crashes, giving greater weight to those intersections where crashes were most likely to cause severe injury or death.

The 120 intersections in the old program were not grandfathered in. Those that didn't meet the new criteria were dropped in favour of intersections where ICBC thought the cameras would make more of a difference.

Last summer, The Vancouver Sun created a series of interactive maps — at vancouversun.com/crash — showing the most crash-prone intersections in B.C.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/ICBC+exp...#ixzz1AneKPpry

Quote:

Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i'm all for red light cameras.... waaay too many late light gunners in this city.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
I am grateful grapefruit

if you're actually running a red light - you're waaaaay to late. There's one thing to run a stale yellow - but another to be either: a) so reckless that you don't care it's a red light and running it anyways; or b) have such bad judgement that you run it accidentally thinking that you still think you're safe to do so.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
MOD

lol these cars are way too late

Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
so many situations where i had a truck infront of me therfore i had a blind spot of the light and i saw the camera take a pic but never got tickets haha happend to me like 20 times
Perhaps you need to learn how to drive again.

Stay farther back from the truck and take notice of the respective traffic lights that are posted left and right of the street you are on, the ones that are about midway up the post. Knowing how to anticipate traffic patterns/changes helps too.

I've never had a problem, ever.

I hope you get a ticket soon, nub.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

As dumb as this sounds, and don't get me wrong (I'm all for red light cameras), is there a minimum time for the yellow light to be on here in BC? It looks a little quick at just 3s in that video.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
As dumb as this sounds, and don't get me wrong (I'm all for red light cameras), is there a minimum time for the yellow light to be on here in BC? It looks a little quick at just 3s in that video.
agree.

seems pretty fast...

when driving it seems more than 3 seconds, not exactly sure though.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Quick? Fuck.. when I started driving, it was much faster.. like 2 sec. Then when the red was up, the opposing red went green IMMEDIATELY.

It's only because of all you shitty drivers in Vancouver running all the lights that they made the yellow longer and the opposing green delayed.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I'm wondering if the following scenario goes hand in hand with red light camera enforcement:

Driver A is travelling behind Driver B towards an intersection that where the lights are due to change from green to yellow to red soon. Driver A believes Driver B will continue through the intersection and Driver A believes he might just be able to make it as well. Driver B chickens out at the last second, slams his brakes and tries to come to a stop rather than risk the red light ticket. Driver B slides to a stop but just makes the stop line. Driver A then does not have enough time to react and crashes into Driver B.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaupunkt69 View Post
I'm wondering if the following scenario goes hand in hand with red light camera enforcement:

Driver A is travelling behind Driver B towards an intersection that where the lights are due to change from green to yellow to red soon. Driver A believes Driver B will continue through the intersection and Driver A believes he might just be able to make it as well. Driver B chickens out at the last second, slams his brakes and tries to come to a stop rather than risk the red light ticket. Driver B slides to a stop but just makes the stop line. Driver A then does not have enough time to react and crashes into Driver B.
you dont have to ask this kind of question if you have a safe driving distance between car ahead of you
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #15
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaupunkt69 View Post

It's called driving defensively. If you are the Driver A - as you're approaching the intersection - you should be able to see if it's a stale light - by looking at the crosswalk lights. If it's still got the walk symbol, obviously you're ok. If it's flashing hand or solid hand, as you're approaching the intersection, you should know that you might need to stop. You should be aware of how close the driver is behind you. If they are too close, you should start slowing a little, maybe tap the brakes so they know you might be stopping. If the lights turn yellow, and you need to stop - you should hit the brakes, just hard enough for the brake lights to show up -then look at your rearview mirror. If the car behind you is WAY too close, and it doesn't look like they'll brake quick enough, then it's not safe to stop. Otherwise, slow down and stop at the intersection.

If you're driving defensively and at a safe speed, you shouldn't have to slam on the brakes to stop at a light.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,818 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
i'm all for red light cameras.... waaay too many late light gunners in this city.
it's just as bad elsewhere
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

i wish there are enough red light cameras in every single major intersections, especially in Richmond, people turn left not only on red but even the other direction turn green ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
Banned By Establishment

there are some lights i swear to god go from yellow to red in less than 1s...
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

anyone have any experience disputing a red light ticket?? I got one at a light in delta, it was a super short yellow (and i know this because I drive the road twice a day) so when I saw the light turn I hit the brakes but locked up my front tires and slid into the intersection. I mean I got a picture of my truck in the intersection while the light was red, I just think if a cop was there he or she could have used their judgment and seen that I did make every effort to stop. And no I wasnt speeding, well not more than 10 over but nothing excesive
Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
^ tell them exactly what happened. Iirc red light cameras take more than one picture of your car, so if you really did skid it'll be obvious
Posted via RS Mobile
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
Need my Daily Fix of RS

ya I got 2 pictures, roads were wet so theres not visible skid marks or anything. Im going in expecting to pay it, but I am hopeful that the judge will be understanding of what happened. I had at the time brand new toyo wlt-1 snow tires so its not like I was running around on bald tires either. Too bad by the time the photos were taken I wasnt on my brakes anymore. See how it goes I suppose
Old 01-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #22
MOD

Quote:
suppose to be 3-4 seconds.

Quote:

Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I want a licence plate hider for my cars, more for toll bridges and what not. But I want James Bond style.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
^ This is more baws :

All jokes aside, I'm all for red light cameras. I hate it when I'm trying to make a left turn and some fucker runs the red, leaving me in the intersection when the lights turn green for perpendicular directions.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

just saw a car blew past a red light on Broadway/Nanaimo; no flash went off.

guess theres still some cameras that are pretty much dummies.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote