REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Spacers Illegal? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/634964-spacers-illegal.html)

gearshifter 01-12-2011 04:35 PM

Spacers Illegal?

Just wanted to ask... Are spacers illegal?

I went to OKTires at Oak and Marine Dr and the guy wouldn't put my new wheels on due to it needing spacers which he says, "I cannot put them on, spacers are illegal".

BallPeenHammer2 01-13-2011 10:32 AM

It should not be unless after installing the spacers, the wheels will sit OUTSIDE of the fender. I work at a dealer, and we've never had problems unless the spacer makes the wheels stick out too much.

What kind of car do you have? and what kind wheels? measurements? offset?

bcedhk 01-13-2011 10:35 AM

The only way I see it being "illegal" is that it will void certain manufacture's warranty. So I guess the installer refuses to install it for u since he doesn't want to risk any liability issues.
Posted via RS Mobile

da-suu 01-13-2011 11:04 AM

lol i went to oktires on kingsways and they didnt say anything about my spacers

hchang 01-13-2011 11:10 AM

I thought that any modifications to your car that are considered "aftermarket"/ Not OEM, are considered "illegal", but however it's not the end of the world so it's not strongly enforced... except in Richmond.

Can anybody maybe chime in on this?

da-suu 01-13-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 7263396)
I thought that any modifications to your car that are considered "aftermarket"/ Not OEM, are considered "illegal", but however it's not the end of the world so it's not strongly enforced... except in Richmond.

so in richmond they r more stricted with AEM stuff? even like rims?

EDIT: fuck no wonder every time i go richmond i get screwed

hchang 01-13-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da-suu (Post 7263497)
so in richmond they r more stricted with AEM stuff? even like rims?

EDIT: fuck no wonder every time i go richmond i get screwed

I think cosmetic mods and audio mods are exempt unless your tires are poking.

Richmond RCMP does seem to like handing out VI's just like Pedobear handing out puppies and Candy though :troll:

Rich Sandor 01-13-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 7263396)

You thought wrong.

There are lots of aftermarket mods you can do that are perfectly safe and legal.

Educate yourself by reading the Motor Vehicle Act and doing your own research.

Do not believe what your friends tell you. Do not believe everything you read on the internet. Do not believe everything that a police officer tells you.

Richmond RCMP has traditionally been particularly aggressive when it comes to modified vehicles and vehicle inspections. This is by necessity, as traditionally there have been lots of kids in Richmond who drive illegally modified cars. However, Police do make mistakes too. They have given VI's to vehicles which where perfectly safe and legal.

Educate yourself by reading the Motor Vehicle Act and doing your own research.

Rich Sandor 01-13-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearshifter (Post 7262303)
Just wanted to ask... Are spacers illegal?

I went to OKTires at Oak and Marine Dr and the guy wouldn't put my new wheels on due to it needing spacers which he says, "I cannot put them on, spacers are illegal".

Spacers are not illegal. Some cars come with spacers from the factory.

What IS unsafe, and therefore illegal, is if the nuts do not engage enough tread on the wheel bolt. Depending on how thick the spacer is, you may need longer wheel studs as well.

Also, if the wheel spacer is not a 100% perfect fit, you can get wheel imbalance and alignment problems.

There is a liability issue as well. Maybe that OK Tire doesn't want to install spacers, incase you come back later and complain about vibrations, or, in the worst case, you crash the car and somehow blame it on the spacers.

baggdis300 01-16-2011 03:16 PM

if you read the packaging the spacers come in it clearly states FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY.

so the cops won't give you any trouble but if something breaks and causes an accident you may be 100% at fault.

Rich Sandor 01-16-2011 04:06 PM

The spacers I once used on my Porsche were TuV (german DOT) approved for road use. They also had an SAE number of some sort.

If they are labeled "off road use only" - it's because the manufacturer did not go through any sort of certification process with any transportation safety authority.

Bear in mind, even if they are approved by any safety authority, like TuV, or DoT, or SAE, if the provincial MVA (motor vehicle act) or federal law says "no spacers" then they are still illegal.

gearshifter 01-17-2011 05:02 PM

I couldn't catch anything in the MVA about spacers, unless someone has a link?

zulutango 01-18-2011 08:03 AM

I don't have access to one but you might take a look at the provincial inspection manual and look in the wheels, tyres and body/frame sections. They deal with specific requirements and should answer your question. The one obvious consideration is that the tyres result in not being enclosed by the body..someone has already raised that one. There are safety concerns about the changed suspension dynamics, added weight and stresses from the new tyres and wheels, ones the vehicle was never engineered by the manufacturer to handle ....that sort of thing.