REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #101
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
As great as it is that Target is coming, I feel for the employees of Zellers. I'm not sure if any media outlet reported it, but all current Zellers employees are being laid-off. Target is hiring new employees at min. wage/just over min wage. Employees at Zellers with 18 years of seniority are being reduced to nothing. Apparently HBC was to receive a lower price if Target had absorbed the current employees.
oh wow I didn't know that, that really sucks actually :/
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #102
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

there's also going to be a walmart at the NE corner of Garden City and Alderbridge.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #103
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
As great as it is that Target is coming, I feel for the employees of Zellers. I'm not sure if any media outlet reported it, but all current Zellers employees are being laid-off. Target is hiring new employees at min. wage/just over min wage. Employees at Zellers with 18 years of seniority are being reduced to nothing. Apparently HBC was to receive a lower price if Target had absorbed the current employees.
All the recent news coverage has (misleadingly) described a situation where Zellers is basically becoming Target, and Target is laying off all the employees. That is not true at all. This is purely a real estate deal, and I hope people aren't trying to pass the buck to Target. The jobless employees are 100% a results of Zellers' actions.

If I were to lease a little spot in a strip-mall, to open a new coffee shop, and it used to be a shitty Indian restaurant, would you expect me to keep the (overpaid) cook/cashier as my staff? I doubt it.

Just because it's on a larger scale, doesn't make it any more/less relevant.

Zellers has been a sinking ship for decades. They are virtually identical to what they were in the 80's. Fuck, it's literally like walking into a museum of my childhood. I don't even think the toy section has been updated.

I welcome a faster, younger, more agile and vibrant business to shine some light in those dirty aisles, and bring us interesting new products.

Lots of new jobs for young people. Some self entitled old-timers get swept aside (or step it up a notch and carry-on).
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #104
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I heard from Zellers' employee that they have to reapply the position for Target.
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #105
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Keep in mind, its all HBC's fault. They could have closed under performing stores, cleaned and renovated higher performing stores, re-did some branding to make zellers cool-hey! we're still a Canadian icon but they didn't.

The staff to the day they announced the sale would glare at you for being there and ask you if this is on your HBC credit card when you are waving cash under their nose.

They'll put the money into the Bay and a few years from now, they'll realize that this isn't working either and it will go the way of Eaton's.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #106
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d87c View Post
I heard from Zellers' employee that they have to reapply the position for Target.
Why wouldn't they?
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #107
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
there's also going to be a walmart at the NE corner of Garden City and Alderbridge.
Not sure if it has been finalized.

According to
Richmond Review - Walmart store inching closer
City of Richmond received a rezoning application
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #108
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
I thought that corner was bought by Walmart for the longest time
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #109
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

my first job was at zellers in scottsdale mall. that zellers was renovated in 02 while the surrey place one isn't. probably why they chose it over surrey place.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #110
2-Wheelin' Mod

It is completely and totally absurd to believe for even a second that Target should have any obligation to retain or give preference to ANY employee of Zellers...

If I am a gigantic mult-billion dollar, super efficient US retailer entering a new country and acquiring the leaseholds of a failing, archaic, disaster of a discount retailer, the last thing I would EVER want to do is assume/absorb their employees..... might as well keep the branding, inventory and logistics and distribution too.. but oh wait, then It'd still be Zellers... and I'd end up with a failing, archaic disaster of a discount retailer...

I would want my own recruiters and HR hiring people that are compatible with our own culture and corporate vision...

Understand as well that the leaseholds are basically just a reference to the plot on which the new structures will be built... I greatly expect that Target's plan is to effectively raze most units and build from the ground up or use little more than the shell... this isn't just a rebranding job.

Wal-Mart's approach was a lot different in the 1990s... they effectively just rebranded/remodelled the existing Woolco stores into something that resembled US-based Wal-Marts... the Canadian locations were unique in that they went against their corporate philosophy of predominantly single-floor, free standing structures... many of the assumed properties in Canada were mall locations and over the following 15 years Wal-Mart slowly relocated them into more conventional free standing locations....
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #111
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I would rather have one at Lansdowne than Oakridge...
FOB Mainlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #112
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOB Mainlander View Post
I would rather have one at Lansdowne than Oakridge...
it is like asking mcdonalds to open at a ghost town rather than downtown where everyone is...
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #113
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
It is completely and totally absurd to believe for even a second that Target should have any obligation to retain or give preference to ANY employee of Zellers...

If I am a gigantic mult-billion dollar, super efficient US retailer entering a new country and acquiring the leaseholds of a failing, archaic, disaster of a discount retailer, the last thing I would EVER want to do is assume/absorb their employees..... might as well keep the branding, inventory and logistics and distribution too.. but oh wait, then It'd still be Zellers... and I'd end up with a failing, archaic disaster of a discount retailer...

I would want my own recruiters and HR hiring people that are compatible with our own culture and corporate vision...

Understand as well that the leaseholds are basically just a reference to the plot on which the new structures will be built... I greatly expect that Target's plan is to effectively raze most units and build from the ground up or use little more than the shell... this isn't just a rebranding job.

Wal-Mart's approach was a lot different in the 1990s... they effectively just rebranded/remodelled the existing Woolco stores into something that resembled US-based Wal-Marts... the Canadian locations were unique in that they went against their corporate philosophy of predominantly single-floor, free standing structures... many of the assumed properties in Canada were mall locations and over the following 15 years Wal-Mart slowly relocated them into more conventional free standing locations....
Huge investment, but smart.

Overnight, you get to introduce your business to the entire country(I know, they won't all open at once but y'kno what I mean) and there are some 30 convenient locations to serve you.

Compare to the introduction of Lowe's into Canada and no one is really discussing it the way Target is getting the press, and outside of Ontario they have big, but one off stores.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #114

Lansdowne is a ghost town but look at Best Buy and Future Shop. People will just go there and don't care about the rest of the mall. Same thing if Target opens at Lansdowne. Don't forget there are lots of cheap people living in Richmond. Oakridge suppose to be a upscale mall and Target or Zellers just don't quite fit into the image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
it is like asking mcdonalds to open at a ghost town rather than downtown where everyone is...
FOB Mainlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #115

^ +1
E.D.C.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #116
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,906 Times in 753 Posts
update to this thread.. our first batch of BC-based Target stores are opening tomorrow!

NEWS1130-
It’s good news for all of you who tend to go south of the line to do a little shopping. Some of the local target locations are opening tomorrow.

Nine stores in BC will open their doors on Tuesday morning. The Lower Mainland locations are in Coquitlam, Delta and Langley.

Stores will be open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Saturday and 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Sunday. Many locations will also feature a licensed Starbucks, as well as a pharmacy.

The retailer is opening two dozen stores in Western Canada this week as it rolls toward its goal of 124 in Canada before the end of the year. It has already said it’s not going to match the US pricing up here in Canada.

Target launched its first stores in Canada in Ontario earlier this year. The company operates almost 1,800 stores in the United States in addition to its new Canadian locations.

BC locations

Campbell River – Discovery Harbour Shopping Centre
Coquitlam – Coquitlam Centre
Cranbrook – Tamarack Mall
Delta – Scottsdale Mall
Kamloops- Sahali Centre Mall
Langley – Willowbrook Shopping Centre
Nanaimo – Nanaimo North Town Centre
Vernon – Village Green Mall
Victoria – Tillicum Centre
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #117
I don't get it

How much more expensive are the prices at Canadian Target compared to US Target?
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #118
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Typical Canadian retail pricing?

No care.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #119
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post

No care.
Yeah I don't buy the tarriff argument, the higher minimum wage argument, or anything. I just think they jack up prices because they can.

Even so, American retail workers have it really rough.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #120
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,243 Times in 574 Posts
Any incentives to be the first ones? $500 GC? :
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #121
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Keep in mind, its all HBC's fault. They could have closed under performing stores, cleaned and renovated higher performing stores, re-did some branding to make zellers cool-hey! we're still a Canadian icon but they didn't.

The staff to the day they announced the sale would glare at you for being there and ask you if this is on your HBC credit card when you are waving cash under their nose.

They'll put the money into the Bay and a few years from now, they'll realize that this isn't working either and it will go the way of Eaton's.
The bay seems to be doing better these days. I like the idea that they actually have better brands and attractive sales now. Actually I like shopping at the bay when they have sales which is really good IMO. Pick up a few Levis jean for $39.95 when they have sales plus other stuff.

What I think The bay needs to do is to only sell clothing, jeserly and comestic. Move the funtruine (beddings, towels, bed sheets, pots, pans....) into Home outfitters. You save rent of space also you created 2 very specific store one for clothing and one for housing ware. Also they don't need so much stock of the same item. Only showcase the popular styles.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #122
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
no man....The Bay is known for their bedding and housewares. Why do you think so many people register for weddings.

Get rid of the electronics and furniture.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #123
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post

No care.
Same, I hadn't been keeping up with the story, so I didn't hear that they weren't keeping US (or close to US) pricing. Just another store.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #124
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
the Bays already been getting rid of their electronics and appliances over the years especially their electronics

I think some stores have cleared out all their electronics already

I miss EATONS but the Bay seems to be more like Eatons so I guess that's ok
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #125

gonna be weird seeing target in canada
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote