REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Director of RS Cares

[CONFIDENTIAL] New girl at boyfriend’s workplace – Should I be worried?

The following post is from an anonymous member. If she would like to reply to any replies please pm me.

Recently, this new girl got hired where my boyfriend works. They work in the same department and I’d say they probably work together 3 days a week or so. What bugs me is that he seems to know a lot about her after only a few days and I know he does not think she’s ugly either because usually when he meets a new girl, I often ask if she’s his type and if he thinks she’s good looking…Judging by his answers this time, it’s just not the same and I cannot get the reassurance I usually get.

Although I don’t know if she may be interested in him or if he may develop tiny feelings for her, I still rather her know that he is taken. I know you can’t just throw the fact out there, but I would think it’s easy to bring up the girlfriend in a sentence during a conversation or something if it relates? I don’t know why he won’t do it. I just think that if she were to be interested in him, she would probably act differently if she knows that he’s taken. I have no idea if she’s taken either.

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 5 years now…and out pops this new girl…I’m not sure how I’m supposed to think. How long do people usually go on for until mentioning their gf/bf to someone new? Is it normal to keep it a secret if neither party asks?

Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

definitely let him know that he should make it known that he is not single

however i would be worried, if he thinks he has a chance in hell and has the thought of cheating, most likely he will carry out that agenda

more likely, he doesnt have a chance even if he likes that new girl
Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

You've been together 5 years. Either you trust him or you don't. I think at this point in your relationship you should know.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
insecure much?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
You've been together 5 years. Either you trust him or you don't. I think at this point in your relationship you should know.
I agree with this, especially after 5 years..
However if he constantly flirting with the new girl and refuses to let her know that he's taken then OP has every right to be worried.

Personally I think your bf is an idiot if he would be willing to throw away a 5 year relationship for some new chick
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
In all honesty, in my observations over the past decade or so, you're almost better off she think he's single. A lot of girls I know seem to enjoy the hunt more when they find out the guy is taken.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
In all honesty, in my observations over the past decade or so, you're almost better off she think he's single. A lot of girls I know seem to enjoy the hunt more when they find out the guy is taken.
^I agree, at first i was gonna say make it be known that ur bf is taken by the girl. But ive seen soo many instances where the girl loves the challenge of getting the guy thats taken.

The only advice that i could possibly give is to somehow somewat befriend the new girl, imo is harder for the new girl to fuckover a friend.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
pics?.... of chick....
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
If you can't trust your bf you should end it, a relationship where jealousy and trust is an issue is miserable for all participants involved.

If your really concerned, suggest to your bf that the three of you go out for coffee after they work a shift together one day, just to help her feel welcome at a new job. Then use that as an opportunity to scope her out.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
You've been with him so long and still don't trust him on things like this, then you should re-consider still being in this relationship. Even if you get married wit this person, does situations like this change how you feel?

I just believe jealously within individuals are ones that lack confidence in themselves and they just need to go fix it before it creates any more damage. In this case, it appears you are jealous and don't trust him. Why be with someone you don't trust?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #12
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Pics of you and the chick....
Edited for you
Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
Personally I think your bf is an idiot if he would be willing to throw away a 5 year relationship for some new chick
Posted via RS Mobile
Depends on how strong the relationship is. What if they started dating in highschool and they're at different stages in maturity or growing in different directions? The OP sounds insecure about her BF's coworker just cause she's not ugly - what does that say?

It doesn't matter how long the relationship is, trust is trust. If you trust him, continue on with the relationship and let this situation strengthen that trust (or find out he's not the one for you and move on). If you don't trust him, cut him loose and find someone you do. But don't continue with the insecurity as that will be the catalyst for your relationship's demise.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
I'm in a similar situation - new girl joined my department a few months ago, and I think she's smart & attractive. We don't work closely together that often, but we do interact. Recently, I went out for dinner with her and watched a hockey game. Would I want to be in a relationship with her? Yes.

However, there are a few things I take into consideration:

-I've been happily married for 6 years
-I have a 2.75 year old
-I don't think dating a co-worker is a good idea

I still think about her once in a while, but at the end of the day, I go back home to my family.

But TheNewGirl hit the nail on the head - it's all about trust.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
It doesn't matter to me if the girl finds out I'm taken. If she enjoys the hunt more and starts engaging on me more aggressively, I'll just start treating her even more coldly.

I have zero respect for girls that try to take taken guys away, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
It doesn't matter how long the relationship is, trust is trust. If you trust him, continue on with the relationship and let this situation strengthen that trust (or find out he's not the one for you and move on). If you don't trust him, cut him loose and find someone you do. But don't continue with the insecurity as that will be the catalyst for your relationship's demise.
It's human nature to be jealous. Even if you trust them fully, if the bf is an idiot and unaware the girl is flirting, and especially if he flirts back, he's an idiot. To be safe though, he should somehow let her know he's taken. Picture in wallet? I dunno. If this was an office, putting up pics of gf is ideal. Maybe picture of gf in cellphone background. That's pretty casual when the bf takes out the phone so the new girl catches a glimpse of it. There's ways to subtly do it. And I don't believe how it could be a bad idea.

Unless the boyfriend is an idiot, there is no reason why he would go against the idea of letting the new girl know he's taken.

But I'm also a believer in not putting yourself in situations that can be questionable. If the situation is enough to get people
talking about it, then it's probably not a good situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm in a similar situation - new girl joined my department a few months ago, and I think she's smart & attractive. We don't work closely together that often, but we do interact. Recently, I went out for dinner with her and watched a hockey game. Would I want to be in a relationship with her? Yes.

However, there are a few things I take into consideration:

-I've been happily married for 6 years
-I have a 2.75 year old
-I don't think dating a co-worker is a good idea

I still think about her once in a while, but at the end of the day, I go back home to my family.

But TheNewGirl hit the nail on the head - it's all about trust.
There's no black and white answer to this, as everyone is different. Just a bunch of opinions in this thread.
But I personally wouldn't like the fact if my wife went to dinner one on one with some guy (who she would like to date).

But let's say if it was just a boyfirend-girlfriend relationship, not married yet.
Just wondering would it still be okay? As breakup is a bit easier to do than divorce (and there's no children invovled).
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 01-14-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Female Driven

if he's smart, dating co-workers are a no-no. they're not ideal.

----------------------------------
Before sex, you help each other get naked. After sex, you only dress yourself.
Moral of story: In life, no one helps you once you're fucked.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #17
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
please his sexual needs and he wont need to get it from another source
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:

^ Is what's most important.

We don't go all dead inside the moment we get into commited relationships. It's both natural and normal and frankly to be expected that both partners will have crushes outside of their relationships. In fact I would say they would be unhealthy not to ever entertain such thoughts.

But if you come home to each other at the end of the day that's what's important.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
^ Is what's most important.

We don't go all dead inside the moment we get into commited relationships. It's both natural and normal and frankly to be expected that both partners will have crushes outside of their relationships. In fact I would say they would be unhealthy not to ever entertain such thoughts.

But if you come home to each other at the end of the day that's what's important.
I agree with the part where it's normal to have small crushes here and there, but I wouldn't go as far to say it's "expected " or it's "unhealthy" if they didn't. But that could just be me. Any other people in relationships want to comment on this?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddagudd View Post
I agree with the part where it's normal to have small crushes here and there, but I wouldn't go as far to say it's "expected " or it's "unhealthy" if they didn't. But that could just be me. Any other people in relationships want to comment on this?
I agree, I wouldn't say not having crushes while in a relationship is "unhealthy." I'd say the opposite. If neither party has a crush on anyone, wouldn't that justify that they only like each other? What is so "unhealthy" about that?

Speaking of crushes, I seem to think of them as "emotional cheating" when you're in a relationship. Does anyone else think this way?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
I want to add that I have not hidden my relationship status from my co-worker; she has met my wife and kid. We're co-workers and friends - nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
But I personally wouldn't like the fact if my wife went to dinner one on one with some guy (who she would like to date).
I should rephrase - I asked a few co-workers if they wanted to watch a hockey game with me, and she ended up being the only taker. And we went to grab a bite to eat ("have dinner", same thing) before the game, nothing fancy or romantic about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddagudd View Post
Agree with the normal part, and disagree with the unhealthy part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuku View Post
Speaking of crushes, I seem to think of them as "emotional cheating" when you're in a relationship. Does anyone else think this way?
I don't think having a crush on someone when you're in a relationship is emotional cheating. If, however, you start unloading "emotional-type" problems with this person, and not your partner, then that is emotional cheating.

For example, if you're having relationship problems, the last person you want to be discussing this with is your crush!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #22

Quote:
For example, if you're having relationship problems, the last person you want to be discussing this with is your crush!
Agreed. There's a line and that would be crossing it.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 01-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #23
How I Mod your mother

What if your husband/wife is making excuses to be able to spend time with their "crush"?
Not necessarily to talk about anything specific, just to hang out and spend more time with them. Crossing the line?
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #24

Yup.

"Making excuses" = lying, deciept to further the relationship with the "crush"

If there was nothing wrong with it, excuses wouldn't be needed.

RSUV #7
Old 01-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #25
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
go meet him up at work one day while the girl is working and show that bitch who's man that belongs to...

You guys have been together for 5 years... it should be a pretty strong relationship; why are you letting such a small thing get to you.
was there a past trust issue?
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread