REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   suction cup mounted cell phone holder to front windshield (https://www.revscene.net/forums/635185-suction-cup-mounted-cell-phone-holder-front-windshield.html)

PurpleWhenClean 01-15-2011 04:02 PM

suction cup mounted cell phone holder to front windshield

I suspect already that they're illegal, as per some bylaw somewhere about not having anything that obstructs windshields. But then, I've seen taxis with GPSs mounted near the left pillar that could be classified as blocking the windshield, so the police may be turning a blind eye to this. Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for a cell phone or GPS being mounted by suction cup on the front windshield?

I'm aware of the new cell phone law that describes not being allowed to control such a device while the vehicle is in traffic.

Of course, I wouldn't mount it smack dab in the centre of my field of vision...I was thinking right below my rear view mirror.

(I tried doing a search for this...but apparently the search function doesn't pick up short words like "GPS")

hchang 01-15-2011 04:10 PM

I have a GPS mount and also a Radar Detector mount on my windshield, and I've gone through Roadblocks just fine. Not sure if it'll be a different story being pulled over.

Doubt you'd get in trouble for it considering GPS are perfectly legal, and can still be used, as long as you're not programming it while you're moving.

BallPeenHammer2 01-15-2011 05:09 PM

GPS is fine.

If it wasn't, there'd be a HUGE uproar about it.

baggdis300 01-15-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 7266353)
I have a GPS mount and also a Radar Detector mount on my windshield, and I've gone through Roadblocks just fine. Not sure if it'll be a different story being pulled over.

Doubt you'd get in trouble for it considering GPS are perfectly legal, and can still be used, as long as you're not programming it while you're moving.

i had my sirius near a piller, and radar above the center compartment of the dash cop didn't say anything about them other than inquiring what they were.

CP.AR 01-15-2011 09:37 PM

seeing that future shop, best buy, and other bigbox store sells them without any warnings about "for offroad use only" etc... I don't think they are illegal.

zulutango 01-16-2011 07:28 AM

Windshields and windows
7.05 (1) No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle the windshield or any window of which is in such condition that the vision of the driver is impaired.

Windshield stickers
(2) No person shall drive or operate a vehicle on a highway while his view of the highway or of any intersecting highway is unduly obstructed by any windshield sticker, sign, poster or other thing or material placed over or affixed to the windshield or any window of the vehicle.

sebberry 01-16-2011 10:30 AM

Please just use common sense. We don't need to be like California where they have laws telling you, to the inch, where things can be placed on the windshield.

If you do stick something to it, don't put it right in your line of sight like so many people do with their GPS units.

PurpleWhenClean 01-16-2011 02:52 PM

Thanks for the quote from zulutango...I think that was the law I was thinking of. The adjective, "unduly", which I didn't notice before, leaves interpretation open enough to allow for this.