REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Gaining weight (https://www.revscene.net/forums/635211-gaining-weight.html)

PUPPY 01-15-2011 08:01 PM

Gaining weight

i'm 5'10 and 125 lbs . most of the exercise i get is from doing casually dunbell lifting at home and jogging a couple km on the weekends . i have been eating a huge amount every meal for my entire life (chinese family cooks a lot) but im still relatively skinny and not gaining weight at all.
looking for some tips and advice on how to eat/exercise better to gain weight/muscle healthily but steadily.

SkinnyPupp 01-15-2011 08:13 PM

Sometimes genetically, there's not much you can do to gain weight. But you can do things to help. Forget the jogging and dumbbell curls, and do full body weight training 3 times a week with heavy weights.

Also your family may cook a lot, but if it's mostly rice and noodles, the weight gain will be a lot of visceral fat (organ fat). Keep eating as much as you can, but focus on eating meat, meat, and more meat. Every meal you eat should have mostly protein and fat.

Keep this up, and you will be more muscular, stronger, and have better cholesterol and your organs will work better.

JSilver 01-15-2011 08:48 PM

No cardio
Lift Heavy
Compound Exercises
Eat Several Meals throughout the day
Rest

strykn 01-15-2011 08:50 PM

EAT
PROTEIN
DEADLIFT
SQUAT
SLEEP

PUPPY 01-15-2011 08:59 PM

thanks for all the advice

ok no more cardio for me
what are compound exercises?

i usually eat breakfast, lunch, a semi-meal afterschool, dinner, a late night snack before i sleep . i get 8 hours of sleep (11pm-7am)
is that sufficient and what changes can i make?
should i be doing squats and deadlifts everyday? or just a few days a week?

dlo 01-15-2011 09:05 PM

Protein, and plenty of it, take shakes, and eat lots of meats and nuts, lift heavy and no cardio at all. You get enough sleep, and try to drink lots of water, maybe add into intake of carbohydrates if you want.

SkinnyPupp 01-15-2011 09:21 PM

Simplest way:

1) Go to the gym 3 days a week
2) Each day, do a heavy upper body pulling motion, a heavy pushing motion, and a deadlift or squat variation
3) Use a weight where you are able to do about 8-10 reps on the first set. Subsequent sets may be lower - that is a good thing.
4) Repeat each set until you reach 25 total reps. So it could be 10 on the first set, then 8, then 5, then 2.

Pulling exercises: rows, pulldowns, barbell pulls, cable pulls (at high, med, low settings there are many variations you can do)

Pushing exercises: dumbbell press, dips, pushups, shoulder press. you can use cables for a lot of variation here too

Deadlifts/squats: Besides the obvious you have front squat, hack squat (my personal fave) overhead squat, side lunges, romanian dumbbell deadlift, single leg deadlift, bulgarian split squats. You can even do a cable squat with the lowest pulley.

Not get to the gym and EAT EAT EAT.

nns 01-15-2011 09:43 PM

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-gain-w...r-skinny-guys/

Good for you for trying to improve yourself. 5'10 @ 125 lbs is honger skinny.

DC5-S 01-15-2011 09:52 PM

im sorta in the same situation.. but I am able to gain weight.. count your calories it helps a lot.. it is rather tedious tho and requires work to plan out everything.. but its worth it.

hal0g0dv2 01-15-2011 10:14 PM

gotta eat big to get big, if u have some time go threw the sport and fitness workout thread and look at some of my meals and posts, i did a 100 pound bulk so i know what it takes, have fun

racerman88 01-16-2011 07:51 PM

pick up some magazines like iron man or muscle & Fitness.
Take a look at the routines that the pro's use and look at the common basic exercises and movements like flat bench presses, incline bench presses or dumbbell presses, squats. Build a routine around those common exercises. Research online as well.
Increase your calorie intake as well.
You can still do cardio at the beginning to get your body warmed up.

AccordCouped 01-16-2011 09:12 PM

EAT BIG
LIFT BIG
GET BIG

ALL ABOUT CALORIES MY FRIEND

hchang 01-16-2011 09:20 PM

I'd suggest eating as often as you can.

The trick is not to stuff your face everytime there's food, it's to keep a constant level going. If you ever have the feeling you're hungry, then you're doing it wrong.

sonick 01-17-2011 07:33 AM

Eat like a horse. Sleep like a baby. Grow like a weed.

Squat and Deadlift.
5x5 routine is a good start: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
also Starting Strength. Both are fairly similar.
Very simple and quick. Do that, and ONLY that at first. Don't worry about any other exercises for the first little while.

Eat more protein and fat.

Get good, quality sleep. Not 2am to 7am.

BrRsn 01-17-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strykn (Post 7266649)
EAT
PROTEIN
DEADLIFT
SQUAT
SLEEP

CAPSLOCK SHANKSS

As per above .. if you start taking protein a nice way to add calories to your protein shake is to buy a nice blender (I picked up a kitchenaid 900 watt beast from XS cargo for $50 a few weeks ago) and add some organic peanut butter or organic almond butter (2 teaspoons or however much you like, a jar will last you a week or so and costs $7-$10) and add just a little bit of liquid, liquefy that mofo for a good 30 seconds or so, then start slowly adding protein/more liquid. You should end up with a very creamy + tasty protein shake. I guess this method is common sense to any female, but we as men have a tendency to just add a shitload of stuff then try to blend on high, it doesnt work well that way. Also, this gets rid of any gross protein shake clumps that may be present.

!Yaminashi 01-17-2011 08:45 AM

I'm gonna guess you have a high metabolism..
The only way to gain weight is eat eat eat eat your face off

What skinnypupp said is right, eating lots of rice and noodles wont do anything for you.
MEAT is your friend, and 3 meals a day probably wont do anything for you, double up what you're eating now

nns 01-17-2011 09:57 AM

I would recommend eating every 3 hours. Don't eat till you're full every meal, eat about 70%. That way, you still have an appetite for the next meal. You wouldn't want to eat a meal if you're still full from the previous meal.

Cook your own food. Don't wait around for someone's breakfast/lunch/dinner time.

You don't make friends with salad.

RRxtar 01-17-2011 11:25 AM

Squats, Deadlifts, Milk, Steak.

PUPPY 01-17-2011 01:01 PM

thanks for all the tips :)
i'll see if it works and come back if something goes wrong lol

!Yaminashi 01-17-2011 01:08 PM

^The only thing that could possibly go wrong is if your form sucks and you end up hurting yourself. Make sure to start light and work your way up. Dont let your ego get in the way of you making slow but steady progress

PUPPY 01-17-2011 02:50 PM

yep starting off very light
personally this boosts my self confidence, knowing that im accomplishing something (even tho i know they aren't heavy)

PUPPY 01-17-2011 05:26 PM

http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-sq...n-gain-weight/

is this legit

hal0g0dv2 01-17-2011 05:30 PM

that is legit
i use to drink 4L of choc milk a day lol for over 6 months

The_Situation 01-17-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 (Post 7269011)
that is legit
i use to drink 4L of choc milk a day lol for over 6 months

Did all that chocolate fuck up your skin?

PUPPY 01-17-2011 05:54 PM

ok time for a month or two of intense milk drinking ..