REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Roller/Ice Hockey Skate fitment question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/635452-roller-ice-hockey-skate-fitment-question.html)

!Nhan 01-18-2011 01:25 PM

Roller/Ice Hockey Skate fitment question

I assume that roller and ice have no difference when it comes to skate fitting. my question is that if I wear a pair of skates that's approximately 1-2 CM too long for me, what side effects would this make? They also give me blisters on only my right foot on the inside near my ankle bone. Would getting a size smaller help eliminate this or would it be the same effect? My friend told me that it's because the skate still hasn't been broken into yet and eventually it will be fine.

Any input would be great thanks.

SolidPenguin 01-18-2011 02:51 PM

If your skates that are too big, side effects would be blisters (from your foot sliding back and forth) and sloppy response. Also lack of ankle support causing your skate to pivot side to side (especially when you dont want it to). This can cause injury if you catch and edge and the skate basically twists your ankle, and with that extra room would work almost as a lever and could break your ankle.
Your right foot is most likely getting that blister because your foot pronates (collapses inward), and because there is no support there, only empty room, your foot begins to rub on the inside of the arch area.

Overall the skates will feel much more responsive and have less issues with blisters/spurs if you have a properly fitted skate. Also i would look into getting a pair of footbeds, such as Yellow Superfeet or the Graf branded Sidas for skates.

1cm = 1 size on US sizing. So your skate could be 1-2 sizes too big.

Xnova86 01-18-2011 03:49 PM

baking skates help a lot.

Nvasion 01-18-2011 03:51 PM

yep bake the skates.. google how to do it.

trancehead 01-18-2011 03:52 PM

could also be the way you tie your laces too. try tight in the front, looser in middle, and tight up at top

!Nhan 01-18-2011 03:52 PM

I've had them baked once at sportchek and they still give me blisters. I think the problem is that they're too big for me.

Any advice on how proper fitting skates should feel?

SolidPenguin 01-18-2011 04:06 PM

Snug all around. Longest toes should be just grazing the end of the toe cap, but still straight, when your foot/heel is sunk ALL the way to the back of the skate. Ankle and arches should be fairly self explanatory. When you have them laced up, stand, bend you knees, this will force you foot to the back and feel if your heel lifts up at all.
Your ankle and forefoot should also not slide side to side in the skate at all.
Ideally your instep should also not come up above the eyelets to prevent lace bite.

Baking skates that are too big will only make them stretch out even more. If you are saying theres 1-2cm of room inside, then any lacing pattern or baking wont much of a difference.

Also, i dont recommend you baking your skates in your oven at home. You can easily melt your skates or destroy the adhesives holding the skate together. Go to a hockey shop and use their skate ovens.

!Nhan 01-18-2011 04:26 PM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/...894440b7aa.jpg

This is how my foot fits with the footbed out. Any idea's as to how blisters may be caused only on one foot opposed to both?

SolidPenguin 01-18-2011 04:42 PM

That looks to me to be almost 3 sizes too big. What size are your feet, and what size are the skates youre wearing? And what brand are they.

Blisters on only one foot could be just that your right foot pronates more or maybe you have a spur on that side or something. No ones two feet are exactly the same.

Judging from that picture so far, i can tell you have a wide forefoot, low arch and low instep. And your foot is definitely pronating. But its your left foot.
Thats what i can make out so far without actually examining your foot.

!Nhan 01-18-2011 04:46 PM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/...5ab44ca6_z.jpg

My shoe size is a 7.5-8 depending on brand. Skates were a 8D. Missions.

RiceIntegraRS 01-18-2011 04:52 PM

my shoe size is a 9-9.5 and my skate size is a 7.5E cause i have fat feet. I almost had to goto F but just got them baked and punch and they fit perfect now

SolidPenguin 01-18-2011 04:52 PM

Missions should fit to shoe size. But obviously in this case something isnt right.

Is the part that is getting blisters a little fat pad under the ankle bone? I can see right now the picture of the right foot has that little extra bit under your inside ankle bone. The picture of your left foot doesnt have it protruding as much.

Something that would potentially fix your problem is the footbeds i suggested earlier. Like getting the Yellow Superfeet or Graf Sidas. Theres a whole essay i can write on these things so i ll just keep it simple and cut to the chase.
How they work is that they support your heel, and level your foot back out, so it prevents your foot from pronating and actually makes your foot a little narrower.

But if you were to get a $40 pair of footbeds i would actually suggest that you just get a new pair of skates that fit you properly first. That option would work out much better for you in the long run i think.

!Nhan 01-18-2011 05:01 PM

The first blister is actually more towards the front of the ankle bone on the bottom part, and the second one is about 2 inches up from the bottom of my foot at the front part of the heel.

Solidpenguin thanks for your help it's much appreciated, and yeah I think I will go shop around for a new pair of skates.

btw what does it mean to "punch" a skate?

SolidPenguin 01-18-2011 05:11 PM

Yah thats where im thinking the blisters are.

Punching a skate is for when you have a certain spur or just an odd part of the foot that is pushing against the walls of the skate. For example the ankle bone on the inside of your right foot has a big spur, and its the only part feeling so much pressure, you get blisters or it turns raw. The other foot and outside ankle feels alright. Then we heat up that certain spot on the skate and use a punch to stretch that particular spot out so it makes a little pocket for the spur. Or just overall stretching of one area of a skate.
For spurs, bunions, low arches, anything like that.

Its the same process for Ski/snowboard boots too, maybe using slightly different punch, but same idea.

If you ever need any help in person I work at the Hockey Experts inside Richmond center sportchek. Look for the guy with the revscene lanyard. Im also one of the snowboard experts as well, so gimme a shout if you need a hand.
PS: We dont have any roller hockey skates right now if thats what youre looking for. Not till spring time.

thebigbea55 02-15-2011 05:43 PM

speaking of ice skates, anyone know where in Vancouver i can do rentals for a day or so?? like a shop where i can borrow ice skates and take them somewhere..

ajax 02-15-2011 06:03 PM

I've got some pretty wide feet but my pair of Bauer roller skates fit my well. Haven't had any problems with blisters only achey feet after an extended period of play.

Leopold Stotch 02-16-2011 04:19 PM

wow those are huge on you!

i remember buying skates at sportchek, instead of sizing me up he asked what size my feet were, at the time the shoes i wore were too big too so i wore size 8.5 or 9 skates when i was really a size 6.5

but ever since a year or so ago they've been much better.

and i find roller and ice skates fit way differently,

mickz 02-16-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7308039)
wow those are huge on you!

i remember buying skates at sportchek, instead of sizing me up he asked what size my feet were, at the time the shoes i wore were too big too so i wore size 8.5 or 9 skates when i was really a size 6.5

but ever since a year or so ago they've been much better.

and i find roller and ice skates fit way differently,

Too many people try to pick their own sizes for skates not knowing they're probably not wearing the correct size shoes to begin with and certain skates fit differently.

I wear 9.5-10 for most shoes and I am currently in a 7.5D ONE95 Goalie Skate and 7 3/4 D/A Total One player skates.

Leopold Stotch 02-16-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 7308297)
Too many people try to pick their own sizes for skates not knowing they're probably not wearing the correct size shoes to begin with and certain skates fit differently.

I wear 9.5-10 for most shoes and I am currently in a 7.5D ONE95 Goalie Skate and 7 3/4 D/A Total One player skates.

ooh nice skates.

i was thinking about getting a pair of one70's but decided to get vapors instead,

nubb 02-18-2011 03:17 PM

^^ which vapors did you get?? I'm looking at the x40's
Posted via RS Mobile

Leopold Stotch 02-19-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nubb (Post 7310660)
^^ which vapors did you get?? I'm looking at the x40's
Posted via RS Mobile

i haven't gotten them, but i'm looking at the x40's as well

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BVX4S

;)

need2speed 02-19-2011 02:21 AM

^^ i was looking at the same skate from the same place. If your looking to size them up i know sportchek sells the x30