REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Forcing a left turn signal question.

I've searched the forum on left turns but found nothing specific to this situation, please link me if I am wrong.

Driving home at night I use a non busy dedicated left-turn lane. There aren't usually any cars trying to turn left (except me) but there is definatley always traffic going up and down. Is it legal to stop the approximate 2 car lengths behind the white line on top of the road circles (i don't know the name for them) to force the left turn signal to turn on opposed to letting it the light go straight green and waiting for the pedestrians/traffic?

I can see how this could be frowned upon as it is selfish, but I can't see how it's illegal as I'm behind the white line. Can someone please shed some light on this?
Advertisement
kuruuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

It only works when there's 2 cars. In spots 1 and 3. Not sure if ALL of them are like that though. For that, you can say you didn't want to be to close to the guy in front.
BinsentoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #3

Untrue. It also works when there is only one car in spot 3 (trust me, it's been taken advantage of many times). In which case I can't use that line.... but I shouldn't need any if doing this is legal anyways??

Btw for this intersection I don't remember the circles being in spot 1, only 3 which is probably why in this case it works for just 1 car in the lane.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
Ive once seen a person do this and a cop was on the opposing side.... nothing happened.
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

That, my friend, is called smart driving.

There are different types of sensors. There are intersections that only have 1 sensor at the 3rd car position and none at the 1st car position and intersections that require both sensors to be activated before the advance signal would show.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Those are actually called "loops" (not all of them are round) and they consist of a coil of wire, usually of four or five windings. The system runs an alternating current through them to create a magnetic field; the metal in your car changes the properties of that field, which the system detects to recognize the presence of your car... just like the little metal detector you take to the beach to look for bottle caps.

Some intersections, particularly newer constructions, use cameras to detect the presence of cars instead. Those are usually those small cylindrical ones you see mounted way up high above the traffic lights. The cameras feed software that detects a change in the scene they're looking at to determine whether there are vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Some intersections, particularly newer constructions, use cameras to detect the presence of cars instead. Those are usually those small cylindrical ones you see mounted way up high above the traffic lights. The cameras feed software that detects a change in the scene they're looking at to determine whether there are vehicles.
I really hate those camera ones cause you get the odd person who's too stupid to go up to the line to trip the camera and we wait for a few lights before he realizes it. I remember going from Marine turning left onto Nelson and the first guy was too far back so the light didn't turn. After missing the second time people were honking, and he just kept waving his hand at them with the gesture that it's a red light, what do you want me to do? By the time he figured it out, the line up to turn left was halfway to Glenlyon.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I use this trick all the time at work as I am a driver. Time is money. The quicker I get to the destination, the more money I can potentially make.

In Surrey, most of these looped turn signals only have one loop located at the #3 car position. Plus, working in Whalley, I see police cars every hour and have yet to be pulled over for using this trick.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
I do this all the time.. Usually you have to be there 5 secs before the other light changes to yellow or you dont make it.. I remember one time I was the only one in the turn lane so i was 3 cars back on the pad and the guy beside me was looking at me like WTF u have 2 car lengths ahead.. I end up looking over and hes telling me to move up.. I give him the puzzled look and wait for the light to turn green.. It ended up being signal for both directions so I moved forward guy was still looking at me so he ends up moving forward and bumping in to the guy infront of him... LOL, teaches him to mind his own business...

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I'v been doing this for years and havn't been pulled over for it yet. I don't see how it could be illegal.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
As a YD driving instructor we teach car drivers to stop about 4 lengths back from a light initially and then move up to 1 length back as vehicles arrive behind you. There is nothing illegal or wrong in stopping back a bit from the line. It gives you a safe space to move into if cars coming up behind you don't stop in time and protects you from ones cutting the corner coming towards you. Just make sure you get forward enough so that you can actually hit the loops and activate the lights.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
xxx

I do this all the time.

As mentioned, if there are those loops in position 1 and 3, then you need a car in both positions for at about 5 seconds to trip the sensor.
Some intersections *cough* lougheed hwy and boundary*cough* only have one sensor at position 3 so you can do it with just one car.

I turn onto boundary from lougheed hwy often and this trick is just wonderful allowing me to skip heavily backed up oncoming traffic.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
I do this all the time when the roads aren't busy - mainly when I'm dropping off my mom at work at like 5AM. A cop was behind me and I didn't even realize till the light changed and nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

its not illegal, just like falsely activating a crosswalk signal isn't illegal either.
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #15

seems like the general consensus is that forcing turn signals is a o. k., now i can do it like a boss . thanks people!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
Female Driven

traffic loops

----------------------------------
Before sex, you help each other get naked. After sex, you only dress yourself.
Moral of story: In life, no one helps you once you're fucked.
FI-Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
As a YD driving instructor we teach car drivers to stop about 4 lengths back from a light initially and then move up to 1 length back as vehicles arrive behind you. There is nothing illegal or wrong in stopping back a bit from the line. It gives you a safe space to move into if cars coming up behind you don't stop in time and protects you from ones cutting the corner coming towards you. Just make sure you get forward enough so that you can actually hit the loops and activate the lights.
You were a YD driving instructor? Was this before you became a peace officer?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
RS Peace Officer

I am now a YD driving instructor since I retired in 2009 and I have been a motorcycle instructor since 1994 while still in the RCMP.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
What always makes me happy is when I'm car #1 and the car behind me is smart enough to stop at the #3 spot and activate the left turn signal ...
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I stop on the "loops" every now and then. Something I learned from my YD instructor, coincidentally enough haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
It ended up being signal for both directions so I moved forward guy was still looking at me so he ends up moving forward and bumping in to the guy infront of him... LOL, teaches him to mind his own business...
Too funny
Cereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #21
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerbeta View Post
its not illegal, just like falsely activating a crosswalk signal isn't illegal either.
yeah this^
i was at a light a long time ago in the passenger seat with my friend, and this was at about 4am. we were waiting at a light for literally ~10 minutes, turning right would take us onto the highway so we had no detour option. there was a cop next to us in the left turn lane, and after much debate about whether or not we'd get a ticket or a warning or something, we decided to do it, so i hopped out and hit the button. on my way back to the car the cop gave me a wave (i think it was a thank you wave)

good on you for asking though, better safe then sorry
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I'm a little surprised the officer actually waited at the red at that time of night.

I use the loops whenever I can. Anything to help ease traffic backup.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #23
RS Peace Officer

IF he had not waited and had no legal excuse then he would be subject to a VT as well...specially since you were watching him.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #24
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Do this all the time. done it a couple of times when the cop was right behind me.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

i do this all the time, heck some times the cop stops at #3 when im at #1
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote