REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

3M VINYL WRAP LIKE/DISLIKE

does anyone have experience with the 3M dinoc vinyl wrap. im thinking of doing my car but im not sure if it would be worth it. i need to know how durable the stuff is in the elements. and ive talked to a couple guys and they want like $3000 for the material and another $600 for the install. for that price i'll throw in some extra money and get a paint job
Advertisement
bigpun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
If your doing it to cover up a shitty body condition or fading paint job don't bother. Get an actual paint job and make your car better. Most people get a Wrap job to PRESERVE their existing paint job not cover up a shitty one or fading one.

Berz out.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

you can try to vinyl wrap it yourself. what color are u thinking to vinyl it? i pm'ed you
Nismo 1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpun1 View Post
does anyone have experience with the 3M dinoc vinyl wrap. im thinking of doing my car but im not sure if it would be worth it. i need to know how durable the stuff is in the elements. and ive talked to a couple guys and they want like $3000 for the material and another $600 for the install. for that price i'll throw in some extra money and get a paint job
material is around 1000$, and everyone that i have talked to say around 2500~ for the entire car wrapped
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

thats reasonable. expect a Vinyl wrap to last about 3 years, 5 if you take care of it. some products are cheaper, but dont expect them to work as well or last as long, some products provide UV protection, and try to get a company that uses a solvent based printer and is willing to put a coat of rain shield or some other type of lamination on it most companies that i know of on the island charge 21-2500$ for a wrap installation, depending on complexity, number of colours, whether you need it designed etc etc. and quite often it will cost extra for installation, i recommend that as its a PITA if you dont do it right.
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

the thing is if you leave it on for MORE than 3 years you will damage the paint.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #7

if it damages the paint after 3 years i'll just recover it or paint it.
by the way im selling the stuff now. the rolls i get are from 3M they are 25' x 75' long. $1469.00 per roll. think that works out to 375 sq ft and $3.91 per sq ft
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

yeah, you're about 500$ over every one elses price

and btw orcale matte black is a blacker black(easier to work) while the 3m you can see little lines and its harder to work
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #9

well so far the quote i got from another shop was $3000 for the material and 600 in labor to have it put on my car.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
It is probably a lot more worthwhile to get your car painted, which will last a lot longer and judging from your quote will also be cheaper
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hey guys,

I was wondering which shops you guys are calling. I've called a few graphics place and I'm getting quotes for 1000-2000 for labor. I'm ordering my own Matte White but I need to find a good and reasonibly priced shop.

Thanks in advance,
chan_icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
spammin my services for a case of stella...

what a joke 1469$ for a roll of vinyl??? lol
just buy this S$%t off ebay!!...much cheaper.
This whole 'matte look' will end up like the spinner wheels; in the Hall of Shame in a couple of years

quality > quantity
midnight_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
What I'd do is get a buddy who wants to do it too, and order a roll together (1 roll should do two cars). With a second set of hands its fairly easy to do. Shitty material = a huge pain in the ass to work with.

Just so you guys know, if you prep your paint yourself, and do your body work yourself, and disassemble the exterior of your car (ie take off bumpers, trim, headlights/taillights) a bodyman won't charge too much to give it a quick spray. I want to vinyl my car as well ... I've gone back and forth about it many times. Good luck if you do it.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
I subscribe to Revscene

i have heard that,,, vinyl wrap, so nice,,, for the first 3 or 4 year, ok now i want to sell the car, lets remove the vinyl,,, oh damn it, there is rock chip, when i remove the film i ripped off the paint,,,,, now the paint is gross now..
Perfect_ESL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_ESL View Post
i have heard that,,, vinyl wrap, so nice,,, for the first 3 or 4 year, ok now i want to sell the car, lets remove the vinyl,,, oh damn it, there is rock chip, when i remove the film i ripped off the paint,,,,, now the paint is gross now..
your name should not be perfect ESL.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: