REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
Transfer to UBC Sauder?

Hi, I'm a first year Arts student at UBC and planning to transfer to their business program next year. Does anyone have any tips for me? Also, do they look at your overall average, or just the core averages when accepting? Thanks a lot!
Advertisement
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I'd talk to an advisor.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Talk to an advisor, your not the only one with the clever idea of applying to arts and then transferring to business so its extremely competitive.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

take all econs and maths and have an average of 75% or higher to get in 2nd year
if you fail that route...
try langara and take business courses there to transfer in for 3rd year

and if you STILL fail...then sauder aint for you, sorry bro
Hheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hheidi View Post
take all econs and maths and have an average of 75% or higher to get in 2nd year
if you fail that route...
try langara and take business courses there to transfer in for 3rd year

and if you STILL fail...then sauder aint for you, sorry bro
Yeah I'm working my ass off for that average.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
The supplemental application is just as important as your marks so make sure you have stuff to put on there.

Or if you don't have much then when listing down what you do have try to word it in such a way that it shows you have leadership ability.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Marks aren't everything they look for when you consider transferring over. As long as you have reasonable grades and are active in clubs, extra curricular, and volunteer work, you should be in good shape.

When you submit the supplemental application, Sell yourself. If they ask for volunteer experience, don't just talk about what you did (your responsibilities) but be sure to include what the result was (the accomplishments).

Talk about instances of being a leader, team player, or an initiator. And sell yourself, sell yourself, sell yourself
fujioka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujioka View Post
Marks aren't everything they look for when you consider transferring over. As long as you have reasonable grades and are active in clubs, extra curricular, and volunteer work, you should be in good shape.

When you submit the supplemental application, Sell yourself. If they ask for volunteer experience, don't just talk about what you did (your responsibilities) but be sure to include what the result was (the accomplishments).

Talk about instances of being a leader, team player, or an initiator. And sell yourself, sell yourself, sell yourself
Thanks a lot fujioka, great advice
Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

Last edited by m!chael; 11-05-2018 at 09:59 PM.
m!chael is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by m!chael View Post
The advice the other guys gave is great, especially about the selling yourself on the supplemental form. Only thing I would add is that finish and submit the application as soon as possible after registration/applying (whatever its called) begins. It gives you a higher chance of getting in if you fit their average entrance student profile and saves you a lot of anxiety. When I applied I submitted it on the last day and got accepted the day before I was due to pick my courses. Almost gave me a heart attack lol
Thanks Michael! Haha when was this? And if you don't mind me asking how were your grades like? I'm planning to take a summer semester as well.. Hopefully it won't change my acceptance decision
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #11

Last edited by m!chael; 11-05-2018 at 09:59 PM.
m!chael is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #12

Thanks a lot! I'm just planning to take math 184 to boost it up, as I didn't do too well this semester (stupidly took 180). The course ends at June 17th, and last day to submit Sauder applications is June 30th. I just hope that there will still be room for applicants after the 17th

Last edited by Zoidberg; 01-26-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr_slayerz_ View Post
Thanks a lot! I'm just planning to take math 184 to boost it up, as I didn't do too well this semester (stupidly took 180). The course ends at June 17th, and last day to submit Sauder applications is June 30th. I just hope that there will still be room for applicants after the 17th
Math 184 is a piece of cake man, I'm sure you'll ace it.
I just checked it out. It says the UBC application form is due on Feb 28, and the supplemental is due on March 15. Do you mean the cut off date for finishing required courses is June 30th? Either way, you should get everything in as soon as possible, and try to ace 184. I'm sure they'll have plenty of spots left for you, a lot of people drop out after first year.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by m!chael View Post
Math 184 is a piece of cake man, I'm sure you'll ace it.
I just checked it out. It says the UBC application form is due on Feb 28, and the supplemental is due on March 15. Do you mean the cut off date for finishing required courses is June 30th? Either way, you should get everything in as soon as possible, and try to ace 184. I'm sure they'll have plenty of spots left for you, a lot of people drop out after first year.
Thanks for the support! Yeah I read the site too, I can't find the February 28 deadline, could you link me? I'm going to ask a counselor to confirm all this

Quote:
What if I'm completing a course during the Summer Session. Will my application still be considered?
Here's what I got from their FAQ:

Summer Session course grades may be considered provided there is still space in the program. Grades for Summer Session courses, however, must be submitted by June 30th. Courses not completed by this date, will not be considered in the evaluation of your application.
Thanks once again!

Quick question, do you know if it's required to take 27 credits or 30? The site if confusing, but I want to make sure (if you recall, but I hear most people say its 27).. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
^ You need min 24, they look at your last 30 for GPA. good luck but if you are applying for next term, I don't think they will count the summer course you plan to take as your cumulative GPA
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
^ You need min 24, they look at your last 30 for GPA. good luck but if you are applying for next term, I don't think they will count the summer course you plan to take as your cumulative GPA
Thanks! Just wanted to know where you got this information from?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
I called UBC admissions, same boat as you I would be applying for the next term (into 2nd year sauder) but I have to take math 187 in the summer ( @ SFU) and they said they couldn't use the credit for admission because it would be too late. So I'm just going to do a 3rd year transfer

edit: sorry you are already in UBC Arts... you should be fine getting into sauder with your summer course.
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #18

Oh I see, haha it confused me for a sec.. Thanks for clearing things up. Good luck in your transfer!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #19
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
My tips would be look up on the UBC Sauder thread on the studentawards forum. LOTS of information there. Spend your time reading through it. Will help you a lot.

Another advice is allowing yourself plenty of time to write, rewrite, edit, proofread the essays questions and ecs. You should be starting your essays now if you haven't already.

PM me, I'll be glad to help.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
its hard transferring to sauder from art, coz sauder is rlly full and limited space, but i'd still try... and talk to advisor for sure about it
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote