REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Planning ahead? What car to get?

I'm not much of a car guy so I was hoping to ask you guys if you could give me a few pointers.

I'm current driving an 1992 Acura Integra, got it mostly because I liked how it looked. Wasn't planning to mod it all or do anything with it.

I'm going to be graduating post-secondary this year and was thinking of maybe putting a down payment on a car.

I have a few options and I'm not really sure which one will be the best for my and for the long run.

I really really want to own an Acura TL but I'm not sure if it'll be a smart choice for me right now. I love the look of the 2004-2007 and it's one of the cars I plan to own in the future. Problem is, it's about $14-20k used at a used dealership and that's almost exactly the same price as a newer Honda. I'd have to get it through a dealership because I'd prefer to make monthly payments.

Second choice would be a fit or a civic. I feel indifferent about this choice and it seems the most reasonable choice because of the price/fuel econmy aspect of it. It's just that three relatives also own civics and I don't really want to add a 4th one. It's just something about the fit that makes me want to get one in white. Can't really point it out but it's something I would consider.

My last choice would be a CRZ. I like the look of it and it seems like a car I'd enjoy driving. I don't mind it being two door since my Integra right now is a two door and the people I drive with have gotten used to it :P.

If all goes well I should be able to put a decent down payment on any of these cars. If so which one would you choose or would you guys suggest anything else?

Thanks guys!
Advertisement
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
degenerate extraordinaire

The CRZ from what I remember is only a 2 seater, as the seats are just storage trays? this is from the Honda site

I recall them talking about it in the CRZ thread, and supposedly the ones in Japan have the seats, but not the ones in Canada. Maybe if you had some connections, you could get it done over here, but from the lot, unlikely?
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
automatic

fwd

no power

Spoiler!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
I'd have to get it through a dealership because I'd prefer to make monthly payments.!
Don't limit yourself to this field. Shop around your local banks and see what kind of loan rates they can give you. Their interest rate might be sometimes higher than dealership's 0% / 0.9% / 1.9% or whatever... but at the same time dealerships are willing to give you more incentive for cash purchases. Trying doing the research and work out the math which one would be more competitive for you. It varies from case to case.
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
If you're concerned about fuel economy at all I wouldn't even look at the TL. For a mid sized sedan, the TL is a real guzzler.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
should take over my tl
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Get the Fit, it's awesome! If I was in the market for a car, this is what I'd get hands down. Honda reliability, Honda quality, economical, fun to drive, and EXTREMELY SPACIOUS. I can Fit at least twice as much stuff into my dad's Fit than either my Accord Coupe or my bro's TSX. The Magic Seats are really amazing. Looks great too!

cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
If your car is runnging well, keep it and make a better unvestment.

Your Integra's free right now. No point spending an extra 3-500 bucks/month if you don't have to.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i know you mentioned you aren't much of a car guy and planning for this year...but i'd just keep the teg and wait for the toyota FR-S (FT-86) or its subaru variant ..it's still a concept now but should be hitting the lots in a year or two..
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
If your car is runnging well, keep it and make a better unvestment.

Your Integra's free right now. No point spending an extra 3-500 bucks/month if you don't have to.
RIGHT HERE. why waste money on a new car if your current ride is a-ok? you said it yourself, you're not much of a modder, or else you'd have done something to the integ by now.

if you want the smartest choice, it'd be to drive this integ into the ground. it's not like you're driving a 93 tempo. assuming your integ is in decent shape etc, why waste money? gas, insurance and the actual car payments will be a solid jump, you're new out of school. i don't know any kid fresh out of post-secondary that has money to burn. in fact, they are the poorest motherfuckers i know. my sister included.

disclaimer: if this is parent powered and or grad gift, then fuck ya, get a new ride! your cost will remain similar, but if you're in the real world, all you're asking to do is set up yourself for potential hurt. cars aren't worth shit nowadays and buying a new one because your ass is itchy is poor form.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Personally I think it's what you're really looking for in a car, as well as your price tolerance. If you want your car to have looks, practicality, power, etc.

Like you mentioned, if you're not much of a car person, then stick with your Integra.
But if you don't mind spending some money and want something newer, then go for it. Most places will take your Integra as a down payment, and you can pay monthly from then on. I bought my G35 as kind of a pat on the back for finishing school and finding a job right away. Also I was comfortable and stable even after buying the car. If you're going to be missing that extra 500-1000 a month, then maybe save up a bit more until you're comfortable. Is there anything wrong with my Civic? No. But sometimes, you just gotta reward yourself.

Keep in mind your gas consumption jumping from an Integra to a TL will be quite the shocker.
You can imagine me going from a Civic to a G35.
What about a TSX as kind of a compromise?

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
almost the same shoes as OP, driving a 98 EL that's been a real good to me in terms of reliability, mileage and looks. Given that I'm a modder and i make more than most students, I was looking at the TL but I thought the TSX would be better on mileage and a TAD cheaper on payments. Been looking at RSX as well , might consider that with the reliability, mileage and great looks even bone stock
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i know you mentioned you aren't much of a car guy and planning for this year...but i'd just keep the teg and wait for the toyota FR-S (FT-86) or its subaru variant ..it's still a concept now but should be hitting the lots in a year or two..
doubt it would be in OP's price range.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Get a job first.

Work for a year or so, enough to get a decent downpayment on a car. Min 10k, or at least 30% of the car. I would save up for 40% minimum. This would help ease the payments of the car so you're not incurring debt right out of school.

No bank will give you a loan, or even a decent one if you don't have a stable job or good credit. Unless your parents are co-signing the loan for you.

Spend your money on maintaining the car, and save up in the meantime.

Example. My friend who isn't a car person, drove his car for 14 years before finally buying a new TSX. Fully loaded, paid for in full. He doesn't owe anybody any money, and it hasn't affected his lifestyle or have a single dollar garnished from his paychecks to pay for the car. Other than Insurance and gas. He spent his money on more important things. Like a house.

So.
Get a job. Save up. Buy something you can afford.
Save up for more important things like a house if cars aren't that important to you.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #15

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yea, when I looked at the picture of the CRZ on the honda website it looked like it was a 5 seater and not just a storage compartment. It looks exactly like seats maybe thats why.

It's not that I'm not a car person meaning I don't care what I drive. I just don't know my ways around cars like I do with other things.

Yes I know that if the car is still running I might as well keep using it. I feel like right now is the better time for me to start paying off a car because I'm still young(just turned 19) and I have nothing else to pay for. I know I can still save for the future but I've been thinking this through. I've been thinking if it is better to just save for a down payment towards a condo or a house but I honestly don't think I'll be getting one on my own. I'll be looking to split it financially with whoever I'm with. No way I can afford a 350k condo regardless of how hard I try to save on my own.

And I get to drive my parent's van / aunts car from time to time and it feels a bit nicer than always driving in my Integra. I love driving in it though but just it feels a lot smoother or whatever being inside a newer model.

The Fit/Civic isn't that expensive that it'll be the only thing I am focusing on paying off for like 5 years.

Thanks again for the input and the insight. Learning some life lessons too :P
Old 01-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Like the other have said... if you don't really care, keep it!

To this day, I still miss my DA (your style teg), and I have been through plenty of cars after I sold her. Spent a small fortune on payments for other cars, which I now regret doing (I'm 30 now). I know exactly the urge you have, so ignore it!

You know what might help you tide this over? Spending a bit of money on your Teg. You'd be amazed what a new set of shocks/springs will do for the feel of the car, and it won't break the bank. Plus, there are a ton of springs out there that keep your ride height close to stock (if thats what you're after).

Another suggestion? You still rockin' a stock stereo? Upgrade that shit son! Spend some money on a new headunit (if you don't have one already) and get yourself a 4channel amp and 4 new speakers. Even a sub if you enjoy teh bass. This will make driving your car MUCH more enjoyable!! Not to mention you can get sick deals from the sponsors here *cough* SoundsGood *cough*
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #17
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
You just turned 19 and your graduating post-secondary, whats your degree in?

I would suggest continuing to drive your teg and building up a down payment for a condo, especially as a young person who would be paying crazy insurance premiums on an RSX.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Affordable hybrids sound hot to me.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #19
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
You just turned 19 and your graduating post-secondary, whats your degree in?

X2!!!

Aren't you only 18 when you graduate high school??
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #20
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

TL for me.. you get luxury and sporty in one car..
AccordCouped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #21

Born in Dec ftw :P. I'm going to be finishing the Computer Systems program at BCIT.

Everything on the Integra is still stock pretty much. And it's Automatic, does it matter if I wanted to add mods and stuff to it if it was auto? Don't most mods go on manual cars? Sorry for being ignorant, I really don't know anything about the internals of a car
Old 01-30-2011, 01:23 AM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

If you don't know you're probably better off leaving it stock and using that cash to fix minor problems when they come up. Most mods can go on auto or manual cars but it doesn't look like you're that into it so you'll probably just end up making your car loud. Just stick with it until it starts to break If you had to replace it now I'd go for a Fit or Civic like the suggestions in this thread.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #23
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Get a job, enjoy life. Those years are short. Save the cash you would have paid for a new car now until you have a decent amount. Then decide if you still want a new car or what car you want then. There should be sweet newer gen cars by then. That's what I would do.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
I'd have to get it through a dealership because I'd prefer to make monthly payments.
it is also possible to take a loan from the bank and pay them back monthly as well

i am just throwing that idea out there
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #25
Need to Seek Professional Help

I'm not much older than you, so here's my 2 cents.

I personally hate any form of loans because in the long run, you'll have paid THAT much more. Especially if it's a car. instead of say.. $20,000 which is the list price at the time, now after X amount of years, you now officially own the vehicle, paid an extra 4-5 thousand (im just throwing random numbers. i honestly don't know) on a vehicle that is now worth maybe... 10-12 thousand at best? depending on condition, type of car, yada yada yada. That alone would have me avoid purchasing a new car in general.

Second, you have a car. Unless it's dying as you get out of the driveway, or from your parked spot on the streets/parking lot/etc. there really is no reason to sell you're car to "upgrade" to even more expenses. I hear this way too often from my friends. They have a car that they purchased (2nd hand cars, civics or whatnot.) and when they save up a bit of money from working their asses off (even tho they're still in school) they think, hey i've always wanted this car. So they go and get it, and now they're either stuck with 2 cars, or, they've just sold a perfectly solid car for say, $2000 less than what they paid for, (ie, spent $6000 on a civic, sold for $4000) but yet they purchased a prelude for i dunno, we'll say $8000. Yet the purpose of the vehicle was to get from A to B with a little fun inbetween. And at what expense? Well for starters, The car itself. 2nd, Gas isn't as economical in vehicle B vs. vehicle A. And insurance. Throw in cost of maintanence, you've just dug yourself a bit of a hole for an "upgrade"

^sorry that was a long read lol.

I myself bought a civic 3 years ago. from time to time i've had thoughts of upgrading because we're in that phase where we want more and more. But i've held myself back, and i plan on driving it until she gives out and can't take me from A to B anymore, and any leisurely drives that i may decide to take. I personally would recommend the same to you.
Keep the car, save the money for something else. Even if you don't see yourself purchasing a new home on your own, having that money just saved up in your bank account is a really good feeling.
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: