REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Cheap wrist watch battery change in Richmond? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/636413-cheap-wrist-watch-battery-change-richmond.html)

matrixfwd 01-29-2011 04:39 PM

Cheap wrist watch battery change in Richmond?

Got a couple of casio watches that need new battery. Any suggestions aside from the Bay who charge like $18? i can't do it myself don't have the right tools to pop the back open.

PiuYi 01-29-2011 04:43 PM

Richmond Public Market

guy probably doesn't speak english tho if thats gna be a problem

SB7 01-29-2011 04:55 PM

Im pretty sure the guy can understand English, but just in case just go on google translate and get the rough translation from there. Just read out the pin yin haha.

HondaGuy 01-29-2011 05:10 PM

Went to oakridge to change battery for a citizen watch, guy charged me $25.
Did it anyways. Was in a rush.

Funny thing is I knew it was just a simple battery nothing special.

Then went to chinatown and found a store that looked at my watch and said nothing more than $8.
His shop is on Pender St. between CIBC and New Town Bakery.
Small shop, had a lot of watches and parts and you can watch him fix it. Think his name was Mr. Kwan.
Posted via RS Mobile

winson604 01-29-2011 06:00 PM

I just got mine done at one of those kiosks at the mall, Brentwood specifically and it was like $8 or so. In Richmond +1 for public market. Heck if you can't speak to each other due to language barrier it probably won't be an issue trying to give a guy a watch and making him understand you want a new battery.

Graeme S 01-29-2011 07:08 PM

I got mine done at harbour centre which (for me) was 2 minutes from work. $12 tax in.

murd0c 01-29-2011 07:10 PM

I always go to the bay. They charge $15

Edison_Chen 01-29-2011 07:24 PM

Lansdowne mall has a battery replace right outside best buy for about $7ish
Posted via RS Mobile

matrixfwd 01-29-2011 09:21 PM

I've been to Public market before too. The guy does a good job but the last couple of times it was his wife who did it and messed up my watches. One time my watch stopped ticking a couple weeks after the wife changed the battery. I thought it was just a defective battery so I went to the local Sears to get it checked. At Sears they fixed for $15. The technician said the battery is OK but was seated in the watch incorrectly by the last person (wife @ public mkt!!)

Another time i brought in a different watch (G-shock) and it was the wife again. I asked her to put a new battery in.. She inspected it and said she can't do it because I was missing parts and she'd have to charge me $$xx.xx per hour for her to analyze.. I was like WTF?? So then I walked to the Bay, guy charged me $16, no parts were missing, but cost $16.

Maybe it was just bad luck that the husband wasn't there last couple times, but I havent' been back there in about 4 years and the parking lot there is hectic. I started going to the watch place next to the post office at Aberdeen but it's no longer around. He charged $6 and did a pro job.

well if i can find a place for under $10 I'd be happy.

racerman88 01-30-2011 08:26 AM

I usually go to a place on main street just north of East Broadway when I am in Vancouver. The guy closed his store and re-opened with a kiosk in a salon. Charges $5 for most watches.

racerman88 01-30-2011 08:27 AM

How much does the guy at public market charge?

ilvtofu 01-30-2011 08:56 AM

^IIRC around $6, but might've been years ago. Last place I went to was arbutus mall which is $4-5

GodZilla 01-30-2011 10:32 AM

I was at Coquitlam Centre and the small watch store near London Drugs wanted between 10 - 14 for a new battery. I had four watches that needed batteries.
Then I went to get a quote from Anne Louise jewelers upstairs and they wanted 15 per watch. Somehow 60 bucks for watch batteries seems like a rip off.
I didnt do it but live near Brentwood so I will head to the kiosk mentioned in post #5.

matrixfwd 03-09-2011 08:12 PM

just wanted to update you on my finding. I ended up going to this watch/jeweler guy next to the London Drugs on No3/Westmin in Richmond. $4!!!!! Got my Casios done right away, no bullsh*t at all. So check it out if you need new batteries.

ilvtofu 03-09-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixfwd (Post 7336094)
just wanted to update you on my finding. I ended up going to this watch/jeweler guy next to the London Drugs on No3/Westmin in Richmond. $4!!!!! Got my Casios done right away, no bullsh*t at all. So check it out if you need new batteries.

Was it that russell guy? I remember My grandpa went to him like 10 years ago

taucool 03-09-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

I use to go to this place...but the last time I went, after I got my watch back, it stopped working. I'm not sure what he did, but I ended up having to send my watch back to the HQ's to get a part replaced.

CL_S 03-09-2011 11:56 PM

6.95 plus tax next to save-on-foods in metrotown few months back when I got mine replaced

matrixfwd 03-10-2011 08:05 PM

what sort of watch was it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by taucool (Post 7336250)
I use to go to this place...but the last time I went, after I got my watch back, it stopped working. I'm not sure what he did, but I ended up having to send my watch back to the HQ's to get a part replaced.

taucool 03-10-2011 09:29 PM

^ swiss esquire

Gumby 03-11-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

If it's just a simple battery change, I guess that place is ok.

However, I brought my Tag Heuer there, which had sustained water damage. A complete overhaul would cost $500+ but the watch guy near London Drugs said he could get it running again for $80. Well he fixed it temporarily, but it would stop working after a few days. Went back to have it fixed again 3 times, and each time I ended up with the same result. It's been a huge waste of time...

buddy 03-11-2011 10:17 AM

got my done in one of the jewerly store in Lansdown Mall .. $5 +tax ...

RacePace 03-11-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I was going to mention them, fast as fuuuu too

v_tec 02-19-2016 03:23 PM

Is the guy at Richmond market still there? Any other recommendations?

What's the current price now a days?

rb 02-19-2016 06:05 PM

Around $15 to $20.

What kinda watch is it?

Depending on the caseback type, you can use a plastic kids ball to open up the back and throw in a new battery for $5. I started to change them on my own after a few shops scratched up my watches.

Ulic Qel-Droma 02-19-2016 11:04 PM

Quote:

i still go there. it's cheap. like 5 bux i think.