REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #51
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
Well I'll be busy this weekend with a big run...

BMO is only 2 months away!!! So much better than doing the sun run. Such an awesome environment.,
You doing the half or full at BMO? I'm still on the fence on this race...
Advertisement
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #52
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
I need to do a 10km before sunday. Anyone wanna hit?
Er, Saturday? I haven't done a full 10km yet. Been mostly running 3-6kms depending on the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
where abouts do u live? im at granville/st.albans. lets start a run club, get motivated. lol

r u close to the minoru track to make it out there?
I'm near Shell and Williams. Yeah, I need motivation man. I ran flat out for a few kms yesterday and realized I have the stamina and endurance, just not the mental strength to keep going.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
You doing the half or full at BMO? I'm still on the fence on this race...
I'm running the full....hoping to get proper training accomplished compared to last year.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Er, Saturday? I haven't done a full 10km yet. Been mostly running 3-6kms depending on the weather.

I'm near Shell and Williams. Yeah, I need motivation man. I ran flat out for a few kms yesterday and realized I have the stamina and endurance, just not the mental strength to keep going.

Im not gonna run before sunday looks like...i wanna make sure knees and legs are in tact for sunday morning.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #55
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post

run on the weekend?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
run on the weekend?
Sure, I'm down, either tomorrow or sunday. You got pm.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #57

Alright, the RS Richmond run club just had it's first meet. Attendence = 2. ha ha
Anyone else want to join in??
Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #58

Gimme a shout for next weekend. Sunday preferred.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #59

Raybot, how did your race go? Awesome weather, which was a good surprise!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #60

Fuckineh...the run was unbeleivable. The route was changed and imo its better and safer...more scenic too. Finished shy of 2 hours, didn't hit my goal though (1:55).

But yeah....after that run which had about a 1500 people...i learned something. I'd like to think that a marathon group are more 'serious' runners....and in a group of 'serious' runners....it looks like Nike's reputation doesn't go beyond its branding. As for shoes, including myself (and i use higher end nikes) i would say only 10% of the runners there were using Nike runners. The other running brands other people were wearing completely outnumbered nike users big time.

I was like wow...Nike is obviously not a popular choice.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #61

asics FTW lol. I personally have a pair of el cheap adidas from costco haha. Maybe when i get more hardcore i'll invest in a good pair of runners.

Planning to go for another run on saturday next weekend if your free raybot.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #62

I can make it out next Sunday. I need to buy a new pair of Asics, mine are getting pretty beat up.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #63

Quote:
Fuckineh...the run was unbeleivable. The route was changed and imo its better and safer...more scenic too. Finished shy of 2 hours, didn't hit my goal though (1:55).

But yeah....after that run which had about a 1500 people...i learned something. I'd like to think that a marathon group are more 'serious' runners....and in a group of 'serious' runners....it looks like Nike's reputation doesn't go beyond its branding. As for shoes, including myself (and i use higher end nikes) i would say only 10% of the runners there were using Nike runners. The other running brands other people were wearing completely outnumbered nike users big time.

I was like wow...Nike is obviously not a popular choice.
Hey, nice work!
I agree with you. Hardly anyone in my running group wears Nike's. Saucony, New Balance, Mizuno, Asics, Adidas & Brooks are the majority. But hey, it's what fits your foot type & what you're looking for in a running shoe. (and for sure, sometimes budget)
I was happy to beat my 1st Half time today, not by much, but every second counts!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #64

Im retiring my Nike Vomero 4 from any more long runs....I'm gonna head over to Bellingham to pick up some new Asics.

$109us vs. $179 can

But yeah....in order of what shoes people were using, it was:
1.Asics
2. Saucony
3. New Balance
4. Adidas
5. Nike
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #65
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Asics Nimbus/Cumulus (alternating)
Garmin GPS watch to measure on googlemaps distance/time

Hey guys! I'm not in town right now, but I'd love to meet up and run!
I was also thinking of doing the Seek the Peak Relay this year, if anyone else is up for it lemme know!

^Yea, I've run a Vancouver half, Paris half, and the NY Marathon -- I'd say 80%+ of the runners were wearing Asics.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #66

Quote:
Hey, nice work!
I agree with you. Hardly anyone in my running group wears Nike's. Saucony, New Balance, Mizuno, Asics, Adidas & Brooks are the majority. But hey, it's what fits your foot type & what you're looking for in a running shoe. (and for sure, sometimes budget)
I was happy to beat my 1st Half time today, not by much, but every second counts!
What was your time in both?? And which is the better run?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #67
UFO

Asics is king, and has been for a long time, as far as the 'core' group of runners go. Nike has not spent much resources in a proper dedicated running program until the last couple of years. Sure there have always been Nike's you can run in, but they were not designed with as much R&D as is currently devoted in their recent shoes. Brooks is another brand that has a lot going for it, and offer a great line.

Raybot, look into a shoe in the Asics 21xx series, it should be the right range for you based on what I've read of you in this post and you fill likely feel more efficient in a more stable platform. I find the Asics line is one of the most versatile fit, it is very easy getting a good fit for many different types of feet and has been this way for a long time, one of the things that make Asics as popular as they are today. The Vomero's are a great cushioned neutral shoe, but they are so soft that I find the shoe soaks up a lot of your energy while running and ideal really for light strikers of supinators. Of course, fit is key so use that as your first priority when trying to decide between brands/models.

Shoes ARE significantly cheaper in the US than Canada, mainly due to the volumes they do down there and the distribution network in Canada. ie. The full MSRP for any given shoe in the US is usually only about $10 more than the Canadian WHOLESALE cost which retailers have to pay to buy the shoe from the distributor, before selling the shoe in Canada at MSRP or whatever sale price. As with anything purchased online or in the US, those who want or need the service or expertise do not mind spending the extra $50-80 per pair of shoes, but it is a tough sell for those who don't really care and are willing to research, try, and experiment on their own. If you don't need to be in the latest shoe, most running specialty stores will start blowing out leftover stock usually 2-3 months prior to the new season (ie. 2150's at $95) and that can get you the best of both worlds.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #68

Hey UFO...

I tried the Asics 2160s in the states....felt very cheap, unfortunately those of the 3 shoes i was looking for were the only ones they had in my size.

I was looking more into the Kayano 17s and the Nimbus 12s. About to go to Bellingham this week to see if they have it. But before i do, any thoughts on those???
Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #69
UFO

Both Kayano and Nimbus are great shoes, but they are also very different from each other. The Kayano is a fairly 'stable' and corrective shoe, slightly more so than the 21xx. The Kayano does have fancier upper materials which makes for a more comfortable fit, but the 2150/60 is no slouch IMO. In Canada anyways, the Kayano is about $50-60 more expensive than the 21xx at full MSRP, and the improvements don't justify that price increase IMO. The Kayano won't last you any longer, and once again IMO, although the 21xx doesn't look as flashy, it is certainly the workhorse series in Asics that has failed to disappoint. You can find the 2150's deeply discounted at most retailers.

About the Nimbus, they are a great neutral cushioned platform, in the same category as your current Vomero but the Nimbus are a much stronger shoe. Once again, it is the premium neutral shoe in the lineup, and hard for me to justify the $50-60 price jump over the Cumulus which performs similarly, but looks less flashy and does not have the same hi-tech uppers.

If you are a Nimbus user, you should in no way be also considering the Kayano, and vice versa. I would highly recommend you have your gait analyzed and get some advice on what shoe or category of shoe would be most appropriate for you. Most running specialty stores should be more than happy to do a simple gait analysis for you without obligating you to purchase from them. There are places that can do a more detailed gait analysis, also at no cost, and provide you with some recommendations. My work involves detailed biomechancial gait assessments for people from all different backgrounds suffering from different ailments or just preventative measures. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #70

Quote:
What was your time in both?? And which is the better run?
1:58:48 at the First Half & 1:54:48 at Fort Langley. I was having a better race at the First Half til the last couple of kms and both my legs cramped up, forcing me to walk. I punished myself into finishing under 2 hours, and I dearly paid for it, as my legs hurt for 4 days straight. I was praying I'd be okay to run Fort Langley! Deciding that I don't want to injure myself or risk cramping again, I did 10 and 1's religiously the ENTIRE race at Fort Langley, and thus, giving me a better time.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #71

Quote:
1:58:48 at the First Half & 1:54:48 at Fort Langley. I was having a better race at the First Half til the last couple of kms and both my legs cramped up, forcing me to walk. I punished myself into finishing under 2 hours, and I dearly paid for it, as my legs hurt for 4 days straight. I was praying I'd be okay to run Fort Langley! Deciding that I don't want to injure myself or risk cramping again, I did 10 and 1's religiously the ENTIRE race at Fort Langley, and thus, giving me a better time.
Nice job!! Now you're actually on track for training for BMO!

Screw the sun run!

Last edited by RayBot; 02-22-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #72
Better safe than Surrey

Anyone in coquitlam area feel like a run tuesday or thursday?

I usually hit up mundy park but willing to try new locations.
Posted via RS Mobile
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #73

Quote:
Nice job!! Now you're actually on track for training for BMO!

Screw the sun run!
I wish I could 'screw the Sun Run!'.. already signed up, through work.
Not sure how much training I'm going to get in for BMO (Full), as I have a few other races which I'm signed up for already, and they'll screw up my training schedule. If it doesn't pan out, I may just opt to run the BMO Half.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #74
Better safe than Surrey

Whats with all the hate against the Sun Run?

I have not ran it before so just wondering what all the fuss is about.
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #75

Theres no 'hate' for the sunrun....however, it can be very inconvenient with thousands of people going the exact same route.....u may notice that for the first few kms, its more like a sun walk.