REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #176
HELP ME PLS!!!

Vancouver Sun Run tomorrow!

GL ya'll
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2016, 12:48 AM   #177
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Anyone's got flat feet can confirm if those naked running shoes help strengthen my feet? An avid runner but from time to time my feet aches during the initial stretches of my runs.

Want to correct my feet and I heard running "naked" helps - i.e. either running on those ugly glove like shoes or bare
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #178
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
Anyone's got flat feet can confirm if those naked running shoes help strengthen my feet? An avid runner but from time to time my feet aches during the initial stretches of my runs.

Want to correct my feet and I heard running "naked" helps - i.e. either running on those ugly glove like shoes or bare
i have said ugly glove shoes (you can get less ugly ones), I can't speak for flat feet, but it helped my ankle and knee problems as it forces you to run on the ball of your feet - fucking kills your calves for the first little while.

give it a go, when i travel i take them with me for gym use (takes less space in suitcase), so even if you don't like them to run in, you will still get lots of use of the years.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #179
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
i've got flat feet and best piece of advice i got when running is to relax your toes. (also applies when walking)

I never noticed it before but when it was brought up I found i did indeed "grip" with the toes when active (no matter what shoe i was wearing).
relaxing it helped strengthen the correct muscles and alot of my foot pain and issues went away.
might be worth a shot to see if this helps.
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #180
Banned By Establishment

RS Runners Thread

Go to kintec and get their opinion. They are very knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #181
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

They'll strengthen your foot muscles over time and help make you more resilient. Make sure you gradually get used to them though, you'd fail miserably if you just started at the gym and started lifting 4 plates right of the bat right? But they WON'T correct your feet, like how wearing glasses can't correct your vision
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #182
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
if your foot just hurts in the first little bit i don't think theres anything wrong with that.
if it goes away and you don't ache the next day i'd say everything is working pretty good.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #183
HELP ME PLS!!!

I've heard good things about Kintec as well. They do gait analysis from what I've been told.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:14 PM   #184
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:

If you pronate avoid the bare running style shoes. I have flat feet + pronation. For short runs (20 mins) they're fine. When I extended the duration to 50 mins my ankles swelled. A visit to a sports med Dr. set me straight - pronation requires arch support that bare runners can't provide.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #185
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

What about a low drop shoe with some cushion? Lots of brands are coming out with ~4mm drop shoes (Saucony has more than a few and Altra is 0mm drop); this type of shoe might help your foot strike to become more natural, and having some cushioning won't leave your legs feeling trashed. I tried some zero drop and almost zero cushion New Balance shoes last year and just couldn't run in them without feeling beat up.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #186
SFICC-03*

i only run in low drop shoes, 4mm or under and i do think it promotes a midfoot/forefoot strike. my first pair were kinvaras and they are good shoes but i think they feel a bit restrictive. i like shoes that feel a little more loose in the last, so my last 2 pairs were newton distance IIIs and pearl izumis. highly recommend the pearls! best shoes ive ever owned, and i've been through a fair bit! super roomy, doesn't trash your achilles too bad, and promotes a good landing. also they have 3 models in trail and road, n0, n1, n2. i think theres even an n3 now for high cushioning (ultra runners).
Old 04-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #187
Rs has made me the man i am today!

It's probably not a big deal for all of you hardcore runners, but I got my best 10km time during the Sun Run!
52 mins 52 seconds, down from 55 minutes from last year
And I actually didn't train much this year, because I've been working out in the gym a lot more compared to running.

Side note, man, it's HARD to improve if you're not running regularly
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #188
HELP ME PLS!!!

Cross training is the way to go from what I've heard. Squats, lunges, deadlifts all help with speed IMO. Though, they're all technical lifts, so it's really important to get form down when doing them. Otherwise, the risk of injury is very real.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #189
SFICC-03*

strength is pretty important for a good 10k! i know guys who are fit but not runners and run mid 40s. that being said running high weekly mileage helps too, and is the key to getting to half marathon shape.
if you wanna get to the low 40s then you probably need both, or just a ton of weekly mileage. also good genetics starts to kick in at that point.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #190
HELP ME PLS!!!

What's high mileage? I find I was doing 40k a week at one point but my knees started to feel inflammed. I might start running that mileage again but at a slower pace. Especially since it's summer weather.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #191
SFICC-03*

well i can only speak for myself, and i'm not a very genetically blessed runner, but i was running about 48m 10k without any weight training and on about 40k per week. i topped out at 55k per week when training for a half and ran it in 1:46.

55k felt pretty high for me.. i mean that's 4 days a week with a 20k, 15k, and two 10ks.
not really sustainable for most people unless you're really serious about races... 30-40k is more sustainable for most. try to run on steep hills or trails once a week. you can get a better workout and without as many miles.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #192

I'm in my 3rd season of running competitively and find that frequency/mileage are the most important factors to running faster. For the past 2.5 years I've been in the 50-70km per week, 5-6 days per week range and have seen my 10k times drop from ~42 mins to 36 flat.
This year I've upped the intensity and try to include speed and tempo workouts each week, but I've found it tough to do this without feeling fatigued all the time. I do some upper body strength training but, like unit, hit the hills or trails to address leg strength. I tried adding squats but found that it made my legs tired, which then meant that I couldn't hit the running workouts that I had planned in the days after.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #193
Rs has made me the man i am today!

holy crap OMG you guys are all crazy runners....

I'm pretty please with my weight loss/gain in muscle mass/cardio since I started running =>working out
But man, you guys are really intense...

I don't think I can actually do hardcore marathons because of pains and injuries. I overexcerted my left foot twice and pulled a tendon (planar facilitis) and it really hurt
When I run 10km, by the 7th or 8th km, my left foot goes numb. It goes away after 1 or 2 km
I DO stretch before and after running.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #194
HELP ME PLS!!!

Yeah, anyone in the 40s to 50s for 10k is super fit I find.

I've been running for 3 years now, and I'm at about 1hr, 10k. First year was like 1:20, second was 1:05, this year was 59:35.

But I don't run for the timing/stats/race, I run because it feel freak'in awesome after. As long as I keep improving I'm happy. Eventually, the hope is to get to 40min 10ks, but I'm not too worried about getting to that goal super fast.

Also, for me I prioritize strength training over endurance. So it's good to hear about that non-runner super fit thing.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #195
SFICC-03*

acro, that's super impressive! i can't seem to stay injury free when running over 40k per week. my feet are always a problem.

dragon, what are your 5k times? 5k is an even better indicator of overall strength.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Yeah, anyone in the 40s to 50s for 10k is super fit I find.

I've been running for 3 years now, and I'm at about 1hr, 10k. First year was like 1:20, second was 1:05, this year was 59:35.

But I don't run for the timing/stats/race, I run because it feel freak'in awesome after. As long as I keep improving I'm happy. Eventually, the hope is to get to 40min 10ks, but I'm not too worried about getting to that goal super fast.

Also, for me I prioritize strength training over endurance. So it's good to hear about that non-runner super fit thing.
I concur! I get cranky if I don't run for a few days.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
acro, that's super impressive! i can't seem to stay injury free when running over 40k per week. my feet are always a problem.

dragon, what are your 5k times? 5k is an even better indicator of overall strength.
Thanks! I keep telling myself that I need to tone it down, but my times are dropping and it's addicting.

I'm sitting here typing with some big blisters between my toes from a long run on Tuesday, so I hear you about feet. I've been lucky about avoiding major injury, but I have random pains/muscle soreness all the time. I'm certainly right on the edge of what my body can handle. The elite marathoners that do 100+ mile weeks for years on end...amazing.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #198
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Signed up for the seawheeze so I've been trying to get in shape to beat my wife's time. Been running on the treadmill for 20 - 30 minutes and stationary bike for an hour to try and strengthen my knees. Any tips for someone who doesn't have cartilage in their knees? Also any recommended underwear to stop chaffing?
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #199
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post

I'm pretty linear when it comes to running, 160 BPM HR, about 32 min 5ks at 1.5 incline.

My best 10k was a MEC race, in richmond where it was all flat, 55mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
Signed up for the seawheeze so I've been trying to get in shape to beat my wife's time. Been running on the treadmill for 20 - 30 minutes and stationary bike for an hour to try and strengthen my knees. Any tips for someone who doesn't have cartilage in their knees? Also any recommended underwear to stop chaffing?
The best cushioning shoes I have ever ran in are Adidas Energy Boost ESM (on my third pair of running shoes), techfit + their boost foam is like running on clouds. They're a little soft for some but they're so comfortable, I ran a half marathon for fun in them last year because nothing hurt. This was on cushy track material too.

With those shoes, I pair it up with merino wool socks made by point6. The extra cushioning from the socks really help with blisters. As long as your feet don't get too hot. Bottom foot blisters anyways. For side foot blisters, I find that double layer socks are the best. They have them at MEC.
Hiking Tech Medium Mini Crew - Point6

All this running sub 50 time, and injury talk is going to make me paranoid. lol. But damn, I agree with acro, it's addicting!

Last edited by DragonChi; 04-22-2016 at 03:37 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:26 AM   #200
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Joined a friend for the sun run last week with just a few days notice.
I didn't do any training before and didn't run for 15 years.
Did it in 1:08 and was sore has hell and sprained my left ankle/foot.
Seems to have recovered now.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote