REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

out of warranty honda repair?

my warranty expired last summer. tranny fried i believe..there was tranny recall for yrs 2003-2004(few) auto/v6 coupe. finally got a call back from customer relations at corporate after few months. Customer relations checked my VIN and said the recall does not affect my year which but i have all the similar symptoms of tranny gone bad which other recall owners have..smell burning tranny fluid, does not shift past 2nd or 3rd gear at times, rpm needle shoots way up, vehicle jolts violently on highway when speeding up to merge lanes, lastly there is a loud whining comming from transmission. anyway i could get them to do a "good will repair" without spending 3gs for rebuild? thx
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quite a few people managed to have their 7th gen Civic auto transmissions replaced or partly paid for by Honda out of warranty, but that was years ago now. I expect they would chalk it up to driver abuse or wear after this many years and tell them your on their own.

I wish Honda would just take responsibility for their design failures and recall all their auto transmissions that have been having problems.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

what year and how many kilometers do you have on your car?
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
RS controls my life!

04 and around 150-155k
Posted via RS Mobile
SupraTTturbo2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

hmm i guess if your warranty expired abit ago... it depends if you had your vehicle serviced regularly at a honda dealership or not. if you do then you can tell honda that you've been a good loyal customer and they may be able to do something like splitting half the pay if you complain to customer relations.
theres been a few similar situations here at acura too
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
RS controls my life!

Ah, spoke to CR again. She said way out of warranty, the only thing she can offer is tow my car to dealership and give me free 1hr diagnosis but to take tranny apart takes much longer than that. Anyone know good place to rebuild for cheap or someone that does side job?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You only get "good will warranty" if you have been a good customer with the dealership. ie regular service etc etc.

If Honda Canada has said that's how much they are going to offer you. Chances are you won't be getting a good will warranty.

I would suggest getting the transmission from the States.. one of my friends had a cast off Accord from his siblings. He drove it up and down I5 over the span of a few months, because he was moving to SF to work for Google. The Accord died after the most recent trip, he got a rebuilt one with 2 years warranty for about $1000 including labour.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
RS controls my life!

Yeah I've tried looking for one but difficult. Any locations here in lower mainland?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

When you do get it replaced never run that honda z1 trans fluid that stuff is just garbage. Run some redline or amsoil Type-f fluid which has lower friction modifiers. The high friction moddifiers in the Oem Z1 fluid make for really soft shifts and a slight bump shift between gears but reduce holding power on the clutchs. Changing to the type-f fluid will reduce the bump shift and really firm up each shift.

If you have the shudder or a flare on the 2-3 or 3-4 shift the switches need to be done too.

When the switches go bad you have one gear releasing before the other applies which results in a flare and eventually wears out the 3rd and 4th gear clutch packs. The type f fluid will help a little with this problem but the switches need to be done too.
6o4allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

I wouldn't run amsoil fluid in a Honda transmission, there have been a few reports online of it killing transmissions shortly after the change.

My suggestion would be to not use a Honda rebuild kit since the problems that have caused the frequent failures of Honda transmissions remain, instead look into a upgraded racing kit from a company like TCI.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

you're SOL...
even a good customer...may only get 1/3 covered....but with it being that many KMs over they prob wont conver anything

another thing to try is calling honda canada HQ, get them to open a file...as a customer you have more of a voice then a dealer rep does.
Honda x 3
Mazda
Toyota
Suzuki
Subaru
Warp9Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

how about auto wrecker?
find a good and cheap labour to install

tranny under 100 K plus religious fluid change will last quite a long time can't it?
make sure you only put honda ATF right..
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

syncro-tech offers rebuild ones for around 1400 for the v6 but i forget what years they have instock,
Old 02-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

hard to find a good price. i called around, can't find good auto tranny nor manual. only place is on ebay if im lucky. if all else fails, go with cl-s tranny or something that fits right?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4allmotor View Post
syncro-tech offers rebuild ones for around 1400 for the v6 but i forget what years they have instock,
do you have contact number or website for them?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i've heard from a friend (who knows if its true), about "secret" recalls for Acura's (like the TL). My Gramps has a mint 2003 Acura TL with only 48,000kms and i'd hate to see a transmission fail on him. I heard sometimes Acura/Honda retrofits a transmission cooler to keep the transmission in good health rather than failing. I would only use the geniune Honda Z1 or they even have a synthetic fluid formula that is a Z1 equivalent. It should be better in terms of the heat the transmission produces.

I too would like to know if there is any official recall or such. I also hear that ball joints seem to be a problem that should have been recalled.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #17
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Just google it maybe even send your trans into them,If you get a chance check out acurazine and read all the negatives about using the Z1 fluid in the tl trans.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Just google it maybe even send your trans into them,If you get a chance check out acurazine and read all the negatives about using the Z1 fluid in the tl trans.
FYI, Honda discontinued ATF Z-1 -> replaced with ATF DW-1 (Full Synthetic)

Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #19
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
yeah the shop i work at we stock DW1 now. I didn't know about Z1 being discontinued until i searched it up on acurazine like you said. Thanks!

I think when i bring the TL to the shop for a trans flush i'll just use the DW1. We were told its equivalent to Z1, but its a synthetic fluid. Will be better to withstand those high temps in the transmissions. We've used it on a bunch of civics all ready and have had no complains.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

I hadn't heard that Z-1 was being completely discontinued, I expected Honda would continue having it manufactured given the information in this announcement. I was planning on continuing to use Z-1 for the higher viscosity in cool temperatures, I want that!

Quote:
The new Honda ATF DW-1 will be replacing the current ATF Z-1 and is completely compatible with all Honda models.

Maybe factory fill on some if not all 2011's.

The key benefits for the Honda ATF DW-1 are:
• Low Temperature, Lower Viscosity:

- Better lubrication

- Reduced friction at low temperature

- Improved fuel economy

- High Temperature, Stable Viscosity:

- Maintains film thickness

- Improved protection against breakdown

- Full synthetic, high film strength

A new ATF is now available for all Honda vehicles. Honda ATF DW-1 was developed with the intention of improving low temperature fuel economy. DW-1 is capable of maintaining a lower viscosity at lower temperatures resulting in less energy required to move the vehicle during the warm-up period. High/normal temperature viscosity remains the same as the current ATF-Z1.

APPLICATION:
Factory Fill - All 2011+ MY Honda vehicles will come with ATF-DW1.
Mixing - Automatic Transmissions currently filled with ATF-Z1 can be filled or topped off with ATF-DW1. Mixing the two fluids will not negatively affect performance.
Storage - Dealers using bulk storage systems can mix the new ATF-DW1 with the old ATF-Z1 if necessary. However it is recommended that the existing stock of ATF-Z1 be depleted before refilling with ATF-DW1 as mixing the two does deplete the performance advantages of the DW-1.

NOTE:
When all of the transmission fluid is replaced with ATF-DW1 on a vehicle which has previously been operating with ATF-Z1, such as during a transmission or torque converter replacement, the customer may experience a change in shifting feel during cold-start at cold temperatures (below 0C). If a customer is concerned or dissatisfied with this characteristic, simply drain 1L of the ATF DW-1 and fill with 1L of ATF-Z1 to restore the original shift-feel. For this reason, you should maintain a small stock of ATF-Z1 during winter months.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #21
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Ya Its a improvment over the old stuff, Had a friend with an 03 tl with the common trans issues he brought that fluid did the 3x3 change,trans filter and the 2nd and 3rd gear switches and it shifted like a brand new trans minus the damage that was done to the clutchs with it slipping before.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #22
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
They are in the states: http://www.synchrotech-transmissions.com/. If you want cheap, you have to get it done in the States. You have to pay an arm and a leg in Canada. Remember sales number for Accord has been dropping, as people either gravitate to smaller cars like the civic or move over to more "inspirational" brands.

If you want to save money, unload the car and get something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
do you have contact number or website for them?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote