REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
I would assume that it would be pretty hard to be able to tell whether the officer was responding to a call or not. That one case you saw with your own eyes where the officer made a U-turn with his lights on just to go into subway is one of the rare exceptions
So the officer was hungry, probably was over due for a lunch break and finally was cleared to have one. A simple U turn and they get fed or they drive around the block to get there
Advertisement
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:

A Central Saanich police officer whose licence was suspended for drinking and driving last week has been pulled over before for the same reason.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Of...#ixzz1CvCCImHe
He wasn't just any officer, he was a member of the elite road safety squad. You know, the same guys who can make your life a living hell for simply going with the flow of traffic.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
this is sort of a related question.
Is it true the ICBC pays for the Integrated police force that has been recently added?

"A corporation with its own police force?? The integrated road safety unit is paid for by ICBC and must issue a certain amount of fines and penalties per month. Wow how did ICBC get this by the public? They can now forcibly tax us whenever they want at the rates they want This is unbelievable. This is a conflict of interest it should be illegal."

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #29
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
this is sort of a related question.
Is it true the ICBC pays for the Integrated police force that has been recently added?

"A corporation with its own police force?? The integrated road safety unit is paid for by ICBC and must issue a certain amount of fines and penalties per month. Wow how did ICBC get this by the public? They can now forcibly tax us whenever they want at the rates they want This is unbelievable. This is a conflict of interest it should be illegal."
Where are you quoting that from?

And yes, ICBC does help fund the IRSU.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #30
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
Now begs another question: Why don't the police force have HID's for better visibility? I used to work at ford. The Crown Vics are just GARBAGE cars with horrible mileage, shit for emissions, and just a complete lack of power. The vehicles are based on 40 year old tech, so can't even really retrofit HID's. Why don't the Police switch to different vehicles, and get better illumination equipment? Just curious.
Replacing over 200+ cops cars at once is pretty $$$$. I'm pretty sure they dont order Crown vics anymore and have changed over to Dodge and other brands... Just takes time.. Plus why get rid of a perfectly good working vehicle.. Probably another thing to consider is spare parts.. Newer car parts arent exactly cheap... But when you have a shitload of the same vehicle repair costs arent as high...

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #31
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Police are subject to the same traffic laws as any other driver, except when they are exercising an exemption provided under the MV Act that basically says that their duties required them to do it. HOWEVER...they can be held responsible if it can be shown that they were not acting within the scope of their duties. The wording of the exemption say that. NOW...they can also be charged under the RCMP Act and penalized there if found "guilty" by the RCMP...even if they are found "not guity" by the legal system. They are also subject to criminal and civil prosecution for the event. Unlike you, they are required to give a statement and can be charged in service court if they do not. In summary, they get into a lot more doo doo and are held to a higher standard of conduct than non-Police would be held in an identical offence.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Replacing over 200+ cops cars at once is pretty $$$$. I'm pretty sure they dont order Crown vics anymore and have changed over to Dodge and other brands... Just takes time.. Plus why get rid of a perfectly good working vehicle.. Probably another thing to consider is spare parts.. Newer car parts arent exactly cheap... But when you have a shitload of the same vehicle repair costs arent as high...
Understandable point.

You should've seen the rate the cop cars come in and the FREQUENCY of the repairs. They were atrocious. They were breaking all the time!. Considering the frequency and severity of the repairs, a newer, more reliable vehicle would've been better. Not to mention, in the automotive world, parts at cost for same class vehicle don't differ too much.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #33
RS controls my life!

should put stickers on their cars with "how is my driving" phone number for citizens to call and report their plate numbers. always see pigs run red lights without their lights on like they about to piss their pants or somethin
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #34
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
If you caught CBC's Almanac yesterday afternoon you would have listened to RCMP Supt. Norm Gaumont being interviewed on the subject of distracted driving. This question was raised by a caller and he responded that when you see this you should take the car number and make a complaint.
oh yea? I'll make sure I complain about a police officer's integrity when I feel like having my DL# flagged
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #35
RS Peace Officer

Don't get me started about Norm....
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Don't get me started about Norm....
Oh do tell..

Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #37
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Oh do tell..
Norm was a guy that had his license flagged for filing a complaint about a police officer giving him a squinty eye. Ever since then, he's had the worst "luck" with police.
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #38
RS Peace Officer

The Norm I"m talking about was quoted above. We're not exactly on each other's Christmas lists.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #39
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I wish people would start showing more respect to police officers, instead of making constant assumptions that they're out to fill ticket quotas and causing a general disservice to the community, why not try showing them appreciation?

If you get a ticket then it's very likely that you deserved it, if an officer is speeding typically they're on his way to a call, if an officer is not the friendliest person in the world it's probably because they deal with assholes who hate them all day. The RCMP, VPD, APD and CVSE all have difficult, dangerous jobs that require great sacrifice and are essential in keeping our community safe. Our country and community have some of the best police officers in the world and I'm very proud of that.

Thank You, to all the peace officers on RS!

Last edited by MindBomber; 02-09-2011 at 11:35 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #40
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I wish people would start showing more respect to police officers, instead of making constant assumptions that they're out to fill ticket quotas and causing a general disservice to the community, why not try showing them appreciation?
We the general public rarely see most of the work the police do. Chasing wife beaters, armed robbers, etc... they do great work to serve the community, however when it comes to road safety it's a different story.

I bet if you survey 100 people and ask them what they think the traffic cops do, most will reply with "speed and drunk driving enforcement". And for good reason - they're the only easily visible enforcement methods.

Speeding tickets grossly outnumber other tickets too, by several hundred, if not thousand to one. Most drivers don't feel threatened when they're in a pack of cars travelling at 10km/hr over the posted limit, but they're significantly more likely to be ticketed for that than tailgating, crossing solid white lines, failing to signal, etc..

When drivers are being attacked for a routine act they engage in safely every single day (speed) of course they're going to develop a resentment towards them.

When you also consider the several recent events bordering on police brutality, it's no surprise people don't look up to them as the men and women who work around the clock to keep us safe.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #41
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i live in the apartment just above where that accident happened on King George, and i can tell you, at 2 in the morning, there is not enough lighting and when you are crossing the street, wearing all black, there is NO way that anyone could see it, no matter how bright your lights are. this is just a bad situation, but you have to realize, if you not in a marked crossing, you are taking your own life in to account for all the drivers in the road. if this wasn't a cop, this wouldn't even be an issue. just a horrible accident

here is the scene from above

Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

uhhh

thats pretty well lit up....
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
The overall point of this is that the Police are people that are supposed to be looked up to. They are supposed to "lead by example" and unfortunately there are a lot out there that do not feel the same way. It often looks to me like Police Officers forget that they are being watched by the public at all times, and are aware that they can get away with certain things that the general public cannot. Taking advantage of that is wrong. However, using it for the good of the job, is absolutely acceptable.

In response to Mr. MindBomber's post, there are select people like yourself that will always find the Police in the right position and never in the wrong. I personally have over half a dozen family and friends who are in fact Members and have personally worked with the police on several occasions (in conjunction with Crown Prosecutors). Usually people that have unquestionable loyalty and respect for the police have either a family member in the force or in the army. That being said, personal attachments should be put aside and the the issue should be looked at from an unbiased perspective.

Does the fact that your job is dangerous and prevents crime mean that you should be immune to certain common laws? Of course not. Laws which do not prevent you from doing your job adequately and efficiently do NOT need to be broken.

As to SeekerBeta's picture, that highway is VERY, VERY well lit up from your picture. Also, take a look at the traffic that this time. Although the police are directing the traffic on one side of the street, you do not see a huge line of cars being held up or a lot of cars traveling the opposite direction. The road is very busy during the day but traffic does die down SIGNIFICANTLY, in the evening.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #44
I subscribe to Revscene

I was merging onto the highway today (80km/hr posted) and had to get up to just over 100km/hr to merge safely. It's a short merge lane and if you don't merge by yourself, the concrete barricade will merge your car for you.

It's an area very frequently monitored for speed by the Saanich Police and I thought to myself just after I merged that they were missing out on some good fishing today. Sure enough, there an SPD SUV doing 20km/hr over the limit with everyone else. After the highway levelled out everyone gradually slowed down to just over 80 km/hr.

The police are always camping out in that section and I have had a friend get a couple of tickets for going less than 20km/hr over the limit right there.

Later on I was on the same highway. Everyone was doing just fine at 90km/hr in the 80km/hr zone, then all of a sudden the pack of cars hit the brakes and the travel speed of the pack ahead dropped to 60km/hr, 20km/hr BELOW the speed limit. Sure enough, there was a SPD car set up in the central reservation with his laser tripod. I don't get it, is that supposed to be considered "safe"?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #45
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
As to SeekerBeta's picture, that highway is VERY, VERY well lit up from your picture. Also, take a look at the traffic that this time. Although the police are directing the traffic on one side of the street, you do not see a huge line of cars being held up or a lot of cars traveling the opposite direction. The road is very busy during the day but traffic does die down SIGNIFICANTLY, in the evening.
Without being there to witness it, all you can do is assume. I wouldn't place judgment on either party if I wasn't there.

My opinion, as an overall thing, is that the onus should be on the Jaywalker to only cross when it is safe to do so.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote