REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Rodents in Engine Bay

Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before, or if this belongs in a different section. but hopefully you guys can share some methods and ideas.

So, me and my brother park our cars outside in our driveway. I only drive my cars on Weekends, so my car is basically sitting there 5-6 days a week. (perfect shelter for rodents lol) Recently, we found random nut shells and poop pellets in my brother's car's engine bay.

Yesterday, i decided to pop my hood to look. i found TONS of onion chunks (size of the average apple slices people eat), and nutshells, and of course, poop pellets.

We are assuming they are rats or other rodents that come at night seeking shelter from the cold or rain. I read online that this is a common problem in certain areas, and can cause buttloads of $$$ problems, such as wires being ripped and worse.

I did some slight research online about preventing rats etc, but i havent read anything guaranteed to work. my brother tried one of the suggested methods: dryer sheets (apparently rodents are said to hate that smell?), needless to say, that didnt work out. he still found more nutshells and poop.

Im thinking about laying a bunch (and i mean ALOT) of mousetraps under and around my car during the weekdays. people have suggested poison... but i dont want the rat to eat poison, then run into my engine to sleep and die in there lol. im also not too keen on killing them, as much as i hate them for what they are doing.

so if anyone has any suggestions on preventing rodents, please share! i have read too many methods online, but none of them have substantial proof of working.

sorry for the long post, and thanks for your time!
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

if your cheap, try calling a professional company that can give you tips on removing them. If that doesn' work, then hire someone. It can be a pain in the ass if you don't know what your doing.

Last edited by AndM; 02-06-2011 at 02:31 PM.
AndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
get a cat.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,470 Times in 1,148 Posts
get mousetraps, or have a bucket of water with a ramp covered in peanut butter that goes to the top of the bucket. Few years ago my parents house had that problem. At first there was burning socks in my engine bay when I drove the car to work. After that was chewed up dash, and my whole center console wiring being chewed up and a $1200 dollar repair bill. We killed the rat with mousetraps laid around the garage.
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Isn't it a bad idea to set mouse traps or, even worse, set poison out on your driveway or in your front yard or w/e? What if someone's cat comes by and decides to eat some cheese from this trap, or, again even worse, eats the poison? :-S
n0ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #6

^thanks everyone for your replies.

@n0ob, thats another reason why i dont want to use poison. we have neighbors with cats and other pets. im not really hoping to kill them, unless i absolutely have to.

as for the mousetraps, i wanted to put them right under my car. never seen cats go under my car... so hopefully they wont lol... was still hoping for other methods that can just repel the rats.

@matsuda:
that might work, however, my car is in the driveway, which means outdoors. im not sure how rats work, but do they come in groups? or is it usually just 1 or 2? if they were rid of, wouldnt more come? your situation sounds more confined, and were solved after removing 1 rat. im not sure if thats the case here...
Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

park your car somewhere else?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Put up a sign that says "No rats"?
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
no dryer sheets don't work, I filled my car inside and engine bay with them and I still found rat poop literally on the dryer sheets on my seat.

My car smelled bouncy fresh but fckin rat bastards still ransacked the car...

I had found a massive nest with wall insulation inside the air filter behind the glove compartment, took a whole day to clean out and disinfect.

I suggest you go a step further with some other options, but don't do food rat traps, thats only gonna attract more mice.

I would have suggested mouse trap sticky double sided tape all around the car to trap the mice soon as they try to cross the line towards your car, but that only works if you're storing the car in a garage for a long period, you drive it on the weekend so yea
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

I built a stainless steel wall about 10inches high with sticky bobcat traps around all the tires on my summer car parked in the carport...no more rodents unless they r spider rats
Posted via RS Mobile
JDMCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,108 Times in 5,002 Posts
Something I didn't realize until it happened to me with my '68 mustang on storage insurance: ICBC covers rodent issues... also my Dad's 2003 Toyota Highlander, they chewed something on his engine and they covered all the repairs on a claim... something to think about in case anything is wrong with your car.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #12

thanks for the replies.

do you guys think it would be too extreme if i laid a "barrier" of mouse traps around my car? (from wheel to wheel). hopefully no innocent neighbor pets will go there. that would probably require ALOT of traps lol, but i cant sleep at night knowing rats are making sweet love in my engine bay. also didnt make it any better finding large onion chunks. i shoulda took a picture to show you guys. but i was too pissed and cleaned it all out when i found it. ;p

unfortunately, i dont have anywhere else to park. i live at home with my family. 4 cars, 2 garages.

side question; where can i buy mousetraps anyway? this has never been an issue i thought id run into. never realized i have not seen any for sale before.

thanks again everyone.

EDIT: @g-spec

i dont mind spending the effort to lay out the traps and removing them. since i only do drive it on saturdays, i can simply lay them out when i get home. and remove them next saturday when i drive again. kinda annoying, but rather that than cleaning out poop every week. and this is assuming they havent already damaged anything inside. im hoping when it gets warmer out, they will be gone. last summer when i got the car, me and my bro's car were clean for months. im assuming this only happens during the winter, so the rats seek shelter.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
do you guys think it would be too extreme if i laid a "barrier" of mouse traps around my car? (from wheel to wheel). hopefully no innocent neighbor pets will go there.
n0ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Do you know if it's a rat or a mouse that's doing the damage? You'll need different traps if it's a rat vs a mouse.

If you're worried about the neighbors pets getting into the traps, I'd suggest a bait station or a live cage trap.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

buy something called Camphor / Naphthalene Moth Ball; many people would put camphor or naphthalene balls in the cabinet to keep the insects out of the clothes.

stick them in your engine bay and the smell will keep them away.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
^ yea and the moth ball smell will keep the bitches away as well, stankonia up in there, lol

besides moth ball is hit and miss you'll find google searches where guys swear by moth balls, but you'll find just as many people who say it doesn't work whatsoever..

a lot of hits and misses when it comes to this issue unfortunately, not really one solid solution which is frustrating for guys with the problem
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #17

@syee; i dont know if its rats or mouse ;[ i never even seen one in person. i just see their poop and nutshells lol.

@phatmobile; i read about mothballs repelling rats. have you or anyone you know tried and succeeded with that method?

EDIT: ah... g-spec answered my question lol. thanks.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
I don't get it

My neighbours and I all have the same problem. I've started my engine and saw a rat run out from underneath. Lots of rat crap under the hood and smells a little ripe once the engine warms up.

First thing to do is clean up around your driveway so that there's no place for them to hide. Then I bought a live rodent trap and left that alongside the wall, which is where they'll run and have caught about 6 or 7 so far. Glue traps only catch mice and they have to be checked everyday since they can get off the glue given enough time.

It will be tough to stop them completely though.

I'd heard about moth balls and I think I'll give them a try.

Putting a whole bunch of mouse traps under the cars brings up the scene in the movie Mouse Hunt where they laid traps all over the floor.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #19

@sleepywheel; my driveway has a row of bushes on both sides.... and being azn family, my dad would rather my car explode than for me to trim away his bushes >;C

they are coming from the bushes CLOSER to my car, because thats where i found the other onions. maybe i'll just lay some traps in that area...

mouse hunt was a terrible movie lol
Old 02-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

other thing you can try is Ammonia + Cotton ball / pad. thing is you need to change them often to make sure the smell is there.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #21
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
From my understanding, they are attracted to the smell left behind by other rats (who were probably attracted to the warmth of the engine in the first place).

I would suggest shampooing the engine bay thoroughly and sprinkling it with 3/4" chunks of Irish Spring when you park it.

You can also try a product called "rataway"

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #22
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
if you have time to lay traps all around your car and then remove it on the weekend then lay the traps again before the weekend ends.... why not just build a plywood wall or something to block out the rats... pretty sure they can't chew threw plywood..
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #23
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Rats can chew through concrete.....

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #24
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Rats can chew through concrete.....
damn..
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I found a rat nest in the airbox of my s2k before. I was pissed. It's fine now since I moved to a condo with a clean underground parking.
Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote