REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Parking Ticket while in car

Today in downtown I pulled over and parked, and spent about 2min on my phone. Parking ticket lady gave me a ticket while I was in the car. I talked with her but she kept saying "Too Bad". Is it worth disputing?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Damn, should have ran her over!

I would say I was in the car looking for change and the lady ticketed me. Didn't even have a chance to pay!
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Was she hot?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

damn, what a violation of principle
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
does if anyone if the parking nazi's are paid commission?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
does if anyone if the parking nazi's are paid commission?
I'm going to go with no.

It would be like asking do traffic police get commission for handing out tickets.

However, just like police, I believe that if they hand out "x" tickets, they get a prize like a toaster. Word is, if they hit 10,000 they get a trip to Hawaii.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Was she hot?
You'd think the lady with such a dick move can be hot? The first thing that comes to mind is that the lady is prob middle aged below average looking woman. Probably fat too.

I almost had it happened to me once. It was a guy, but he was nice enough to tell me that I should move my car or pay.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

happened to me before. i was waiting for someone at a meter spot for about 5 mins.

i heard a loud "HEY," looked out my drivers side and see the meter lady across the street. "YOU GOT TO MOVE OR PAY!" it was pretty unprofessional because she yelled that a couple times from across the street in broad daylight downtown. as she moved forward i saw that she was a super tubby. no wonder. too lazy to cross the street.

i politely acknowledged her but just fired up my car because my passenger had arrived. thought nothing of it and drove off. week later, i got a ticket in the mail.

too fat to walk across the street to talk to me normally. good enough eyes to snipe my plates when i pull off.
SilvLX888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I'm going to go with no.

It would be like asking do traffic police get commission for handing out tickets.

However, just like police, I believe that if they hand out "x" tickets, they get a prize like a toaster. Word is, if they hit 10,000 they get a trip to Hawaii.

Ex-cop from another province told me this. That they get paid each time for going to court, so what some cops did (not all) was they target ppl that would be more likely to dispute a ticket, this way they get more money despite what the outcome of the dispute is. So like, kinda not really maybe like commission, haha.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
resident Oil Guru

I got back in my car and snapped a pic.

Couldn't believe it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_R...%2004%20PM.jpg
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

that's mean of her. I've had situations like this, but the lady just told me to put a quarter in and she'll walk off, so I did.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

if the car was still in gear then you weren't parked... and should have goten a no stoping ticket instead
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

These city parking patrollers makes enough money already. The only company that pays ticket commission is impark; 50cents per ticket. I saw the patroller job for city of burnaby. They make $28 bucks a hour for writing tickets. And for the bonus, yes it will very much like a toaster or something. I believe you can call the number on the ticket and talk with someone, giving out a ticket while the driver is still in the car is highly unethical. The situation changes if the bitch had already warned you 5 minutes before. I stop on the side to pick up my phone all the time, but if your gonna get ticketed for following the law, then fuck the law, ignore collection company's calls
miky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by miky View Post
ignore collection company's calls
I recommend against this, as the city has much higher jurisdiction than Impark.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I was just being cynical about ignoring collection company's calls, they are trained to hurt ya.

However you should still try to call and explain what happend
miky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Interesting to see the differing points of view. Yes I broke the law but because it was only for 2 minutes I'm not guilty, they should give you a warning first when you break the law ( like the Cops should flash some sort of sign that says you are speeding and let you speed a bit more before they stop you), maybe they should let you break the law for a short period of time...like anything under, let's say 5 minutes, is not really parking, maybe if the car was occupied it does not meet the legal definition of "parked", maybe if the car was in gear you didn't meet the legal definition of parked, maybe you shouldn't have stopped and parked in a no parking zone, maybe the unattractive bylaw officer just hates people in (whatever kind of car you were parked in) cars, maybe the bylaw officer has it in for.. ( insert your race/age/gender/hairstyle/Novice driver, shoe size etc)??? All sorts of questions, but life often has more questions than it has answers doesn't it? Remember, in life you get the test first and then the answers after it's all over.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
you were parked.. you didn't pay... and you were on your phone... you were NOt looking for change, nor were you paying via phone... so you were indeed wrong. so did you "deserve" the ticket as per the bylaw, YES... dispute if you want, but in the end you got a ticket for breaking the bylaw.

wtf is that about letting you break the law for a bit, warn you then get you? how old are you? When you steal shit from a store, do you want them to warn you that they will charge you and give you one last chance to put the shit back? or maybe, you get a warning to return someone's car you jacked?

some cops/law enforcers are nice in that they are leniant, but that is a priveledge some lucky people get...
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #18
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Found this blurb:

http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/parking/...t/parkstop.htm

Quote:
"Stopping" - is the coming to rest or the state of being at rest of a vehicle. It is the stopping or standing of a vehicle whether occupied or not.

"Parking" - is the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, other than up to 5 minutes for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading of merchandise or discharging or taking on passengers.

In a "No Stopping Anytime" zone, vehicles are not allowed to stop for any reason. This includes letting passengers out, picking a friend up from work, running to the bank machine, buying a cup of coffee or picking up dry cleaning.

The "No Stopping" symbol is used in bus, taxi, commercial, tour bus, rush hour, special event, police, parking for people with disabilities and temporary zones.

In a "No Parking Anytime" zone, vehicles are allowed to park to load or unload goods, or to take on or discharge passengers for up to 5 minutes. NOTE: Motorists displaying a valid permit for people with disabilities (SPARC placard) are allowed to park in "No Parking Anytime" zones for up to 30 minutes while actively loading and/or unloading passengers or materials.
Interesting... so for "No Parking Anytime", you can stop and wait for up to five minutes for your passenger.

I couldn't find anything regarding parking meters though...
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
i never dispute my tickets but your case definately worth a dispute

i would ...
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I would totally dispute it. Meter maids are so black and white, I had a similar thing happen, the woman was so rude, I was furious, the only reason I didn't dispute it was because I didn't want to carry the anger around until my day in court came along....
5ive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Found this blurb:

http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/parking/...t/parkstop.htm

Interesting... so for "No Parking Anytime", you can stop and wait for up to five minutes for your passenger.

I couldn't find anything regarding parking meters though...
Thanks for your post. It sounds like the definition of parking is >5 minutes. I'm going to try and dispute this. We'll see what happens. It was brutal that I wasn't even able to leave my car. I was on the phone reading a work email.

I've been reading trying to find some information about the bylaws, but your document seems to be the most helpful.

Last edited by LiquidTurbo; 02-07-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #22
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
you were parked.. you didn't pay... and you were on your phone... you were NOt looking for change, nor were you paying via phone... so you were indeed wrong. so did you "deserve" the ticket as per the bylaw, YES... dispute if you want, but in the end you got a ticket for breaking the bylaw.

wtf is that about letting you break the law for a bit, warn you then get you? how old are you? When you steal shit from a store, do you want them to warn you that they will charge you and give you one last chance to put the shit back? or maybe, you get a warning to return someone's car you jacked?

some cops/law enforcers are nice in that they are leniant, but that is a priveledge some lucky people get...
Thank you for your post. All I have to say is, there is a reason that officers do not hand out tickets when they clock people doing 91km/h in a 90km/h freeway, even though they are breaking the law.

If you could show me a document saying that upon stopping the car you MUST immediately get out and pay instantly, I would agree with you. But you can't, so I'm trying to figure out if I have even broken the law in the first place.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
ky

Meter maids can be dicks all day long, but at the end of the day, they're meter maids. You win.
ky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky View Post
Meter maids can be dicks all day long, but at the end of the day, they're meter maids. You win.
they get paid almost as much as a red seal journeymen, thats not bad money at all
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote