REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_2011 View Post
how u know? u got scammed?
yes i have been scammed and all my friends who have been there have as well, right after using that machine
Advertisement
bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #27
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Using card for food, especially in richmond is a great way to get your card duplicated and scammed.
If I see a restaurant that only accepts cash I refuse to eat there. Why would any reputable business NOT accept multiple forms of payment? It's a fact in retail that accepting plastic (especially credit cards) increases spending. It's easy to give in and splurge on a more expensive meal (item) if you have room on your Visa. Numbers I've seen indicate that consumers using plastic spend 10-18% more on average per transaction.

The way I see it is this: if you don't take plastic you're either laundering money (doing creative accounting) or the owners couldn't qualify to get a POS machine (bank didn't like their references). Or maybe they lost their right to accept cards due to shoddy practices. Whatever the reason, they're not getting my money.

As to getting your card swiped, just get a "junk" card. I have one credit card I use exclusively for online and purchases in potentially "risky" situations (like giving your card to a waiter who has a chance to swipe it on the way to the till). It has a $500 limit so if some asshole copies it they're getting dick for their efforts. Besides, you're not liable for charges if your card gets duplicated anyway.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #28
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
If I see a restaurant that only accepts cash I refuse to eat there. Why would any reputable business NOT accept multiple forms of payment? It's a fact in retail that accepting plastic (especially credit cards) increases spending. It's easy to give in and splurge on a more expensive meal (item) if you have room on your Visa. Numbers I've seen indicate that consumers using plastic spend 10-18% more on average per transaction.

The way I see it is this: if you don't take plastic you're either laundering money (doing creative accounting) or the owners couldn't qualify to get a POS machine (bank didn't like their references). Or maybe they lost their right to accept cards due to shoddy practices. Whatever the reason, they're not getting my money.

As to getting your card swiped, just get a "junk" card. I have one credit card I use exclusively for online and purchases in potentially "risky" situations (like giving your card to a waiter who has a chance to swipe it on the way to the till). It has a $500 limit so if some asshole copies it they're getting dick for their efforts. Besides, you're not liable for charges if your card gets duplicated anyway.
Other than the reasons you have listed, another key and probably a dominant reason why many places/restaurants don't accept credit cards is because of what the credit card company charges for its use. Having some percentage of the total bill getting cut can and will hurt the restaurants bottom line. So I can see why places choose not to accept credits other than the reasons you have listed.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #29
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:

Do you work at a place that takes Visa/MC/AE etc?

Being reputable and being profitable are two different things. Lots of restaurants (especially Asian ones) survive on penny pinching and cut throat prices. These low-to-mid priced restaurants can't afford the 1.5-3% + POS terminal rental fee. As well, like any other business, they would be susceptible to credit card fraud and would be ultimately responsible for the financial penalty. Taking cash, on the other hand, guarantees immediate payment.

While cash only does create a nuisance for some, its very unlikely someone would walk into a restaurant without any cash on them.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
If I see a restaurant that only accepts cash I refuse to eat there. Why would any reputable business NOT accept multiple forms of payment?
Large bowl pho - $7

In the UK, even burger king doesn't take CC
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
Do you work at a place that takes Visa/MC/AE etc?
These low-to-mid priced restaurants can't afford the 1.5-3% + POS terminal rental fee. .
Not to mention, think it's around for 5% for AE now a days.
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Never heard of hakkasan, gonna go try it now lol
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #33
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
The 1.5-3% credit card fee is more than offset by the 10% or more increase in spending when people use cards. They can also do what many stores do and give a 3% discount if you pay with cash.

Besides, I've seen some very successful and busy restaurants that only take cash, so I don't buy the credit card fee as an excuse.
Posted via RS Mobile
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote