REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
San Fransisco

I plan to take a trip south in the Spring time (April or May) and I might possibly make a stop in SF (on my way to Los Angeles & Las Vegas) ... might be there for 2-3 days. Anyone have any suggestions as to what do/see/eat?

Google brings up the basic Golden Gate Bridge & Alcatraz which I will probably check out...

Now I LOVE eating, so any special suggestions for places to hit up for that would be great!
Advertisement

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
Ebisu Boss

Also how far is it to San Diego from SF or LA if I rent a car and drive?

I wonder if there's any packages that have connecting flights that do a big roundabout of SF -> LA -> LV -> Vancouver?... it doesn't have to be that specific order.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

We drove from SF to LA in a day. SoCal traffic can be very unpredictable so an exact time would be highly effected by traffic. Google maps says it's about 8 hours and 20 min in traffic or 6.5 to 7.5 without.

We drove from VAN to LA in about 3 days, but back in 2 (though the second day we drove till like 3 am). It depends on if you want to take your time on the way and sight see or not. (I would say about 20-24 driving hours in total depending on the traffic).
Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Ebisu Boss

I won't be driving to LA, I've done that before, took about 22 hours. I think once a lifetime is enough for me
I'm going to fly down to SoCal and then either rent a car or see if I can borrow a relative's car and drive within the triangle.
Maybe I'll skip SF completely and just do LA, San Diego and Vegas?...
Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

drove there last summer, san fransisco is fuckin awesome and make sure you go to alcatraz..the lombard street is nice too flowers and all that shit uumm ride the cable car its really cool.. go to the piers too and the market place..
I like the atmosphere there, i find it cool lol
and dont go to oakland its dangerous especially at night lol
Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Ebisu Boss

How long did you stay in SF for? How many days would suffice?

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 02-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

we were there for 5 days and i think thats more than enough unless you wanna tour the sorrounding cities aswell
Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
For Alcatraz, I book your tickets as soon as you book your flights. I made the mistake of not doing that and everything was sold out in the summer. You can check out the Victorian Houses from Full House as well. I would recommend renting a car that way you can drive on the bridge and check out some of the various vantage points if you can. Catching a Giants game would be interesting if you had the time too.

There's In and Out at the Fisherman's Wharf lol. There's also Boudin's Bakery which makes tons of bread there as well. Everyone talks about their clam chowder in a breadbowl, but I didn't think it was THAT great. Ghirardelli also has a huge location there if you like their chocolates.

Not at Fisherman's Wharf but I also hit Tartine for sandwiches and pastries and Anchor and Hope for dinner. I think Tyler Florence has a restaurant, Wayfare Tavern, might be worth checking out. But in terms of food, just do a google search. I'm pretty sure foodies have reviewed every place worth checking out.

I would think 3 nights would suffice, but I guess that depends on what you have planned.

Last edited by Expresso; 02-21-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I lived in Sunnyvale, CA for 4 years (It's about 45mins south of San Fran)

YOU MUST GO TO HOUSE OF PRIME RIB (Located in San Fran) TO EAT
ORDER THE LARGEST CUT (King Henry cut)

http://houseofprimerib.net/home.html

You will thank me afterwards
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
I lived in Sunnyvale, CA for 4 years (It's about 45mins south of San Fran)

YOU MUST GO TO HOUSE OF PRIME RIB (Located in San Fran) TO EAT
ORDER THE LARGEST CUT (King Henry cut)

http://houseofprimerib.net/home.html

You will thank me afterwards
Anthony Bourdain went there during his San Francisco episode and it looked so friggen good! They come around to your table with these carts that look like those old school blimps from back in the day
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote