REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
This city cannot financially support an NBA basketball team.

As cool as it would be, the bottom line is ticket sales. Considering how much we pay in taxes here and how expensive goods and services are. How much do you think you're average ticket will have to cost to sustain the NBA salaries, all associated staff with the team and to ensure a profit in Aquilini's pockets? Chris Paul makes about 16 million a season. How much do we pay the Sedin's or Luongo? Less than 10 million a season I think.

I have to ask those who actually support an NBA team in Vancouver. How much are you willing to pay for a ticket and what is your limit? Limit being how much before you say fuck it and watch the game on the couch at home.
$50/seat, $80, $100? and of course, you'll want to go with a friend. So everything is x2. Unless you're this guy --->

Let's not forget, season ticket holders are what keeps teams in towns. The majority of Canucks season ticket holders are corporate/business with no plans of letting those tickets go. Is it possible to get those companies to purchase both NHL and NBA season tickets? If not, do you think the average Vancouver citizen will be able to add NBA season tickets to their expenses?

Going to a game or two a season is not enough to support an NBA franchise.

If we consistently did it back then with a losing team, a richer Vancouver now can certainly afford to sustain one. Plus, the fan base is bigger. The kids who grew up watching the grizz ( our generation ) are now adults that can afford to go to the games.
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

If it wasn't for my crappy work schedule (shift work) I would totally buy season tickets for NBA
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #28

salaries are to high in the nba for a team to be immediately successful here and besides that what would they name the team?
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #29
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Aside from shitty management the biggest thing that hurt the Grizz was the dollar. The dollar now is much stronger so it could work.

The thing that I believe is that the NBA and the new franchise needs to regain the trust of the city, and if they want it to work long term, then its gotta start within the community. Fund organize leagues, support the youth to play basketball. Then tahts where you create the future customers. The Dallas Stars in the NHL has done this and the registered kids in the area has surged drastically. It will help the game of Basketball in Canada and definitely sell the product

and yea, hire smart management, because the grizz were fucking terrible. Brian Winters? give me a break
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #30
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
not a NBA fan... but sure, why not?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
If a nba team does come to vancouver i hope it drives the prices of canuck tickets down.
Posted via RS Mobile
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

the aquilini's want a franchise so they can occupy rogers arena an extra 41 times per year.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #33
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I wonder how much the Sonics being gone will help a Vancouver team? Much larger catchment area
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
There was a pretty decent article in the National Post the other day about how superstars in the league are running the NBA these days. There are 4 or 5 cities that star players will be naturally attracted to: LA, New York, Miami, Chicago, and perhaps Boston. Vancouver is not Memphis or New Orleans, but it's not even Toronto in terms of what's deemed as attractive for the typical NBA player. The city has changed in ten years - there's more money (or at least the appearance of it), there's more to do (clubs and restaurants) and the women are better looking now than they once were. But, if the Aquilinis are successful in getting a team relocated here, they would have a lot of work to do on getting marquee players to come here.

Vancouver has the most fairweather fans per capita in North America. If the team can perform, the fan support and corporate dollars will follow.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #35
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
How about we get a championship hockey team, before we have another professional sports team in Vancouver.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #36
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
salaries are to high in the nba for a team to be immediately successful here and besides that what would they name the team?
Vancouver Rain Makers
We make it rain

The problem is for the first few years there going to loose a lot of games and who want's to pay to see a losing team.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

"the grizzles" eh?

if they make the same draft pick decisions as before im out. im moving. on the other hand a lotta the best players dont wanna come play in vancouver cause its rainy and in canada. we're fucked?
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #38
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Posted via RS Mobile
rsx604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #39
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Don't get your hopes up too high. Stern's quotes are from his interview with Bill Simmons on espn. He did mention vancouver but keeping the team in NO, moving it to Kentucky, or contraction sound like more likely scenarios.
Posted via RS Mobile
rsx604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #40
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

yellow express
pure.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #41
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
TSN put up a great picture
the face of the franchise!

Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #42
HELP ME PLS!!!

Moving the team to a place like Kentucky makes no sense, both economically and fanbase wise.

If Seattle is down to build a new arena, I see them going to Seattle before Vancouver.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #43
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

As cool as it would be, the bottom line is ticket sales. Considering how much we pay in taxes here and how expensive goods and services are. How much do you think you're average ticket will have to cost to sustain the NBA salaries, all associated staff with the team and to ensure a profit in Aquilini's pockets? Chris Paul makes about 16 million a season. How much do we pay the Sedin's or Luongo? Less than 10 million a season I think.

I have to ask those who actually support an NBA team in Vancouver. How much are you willing to pay for a ticket and what is your limit? Limit being how much before you say fuck it and watch the game on the couch at home.
$50/seat, $80, $100? and of course, you'll want to go with a friend. So everything is x2. Unless you're this guy --->

Let's not forget, season ticket holders are what keeps teams in towns. The majority of Canucks season ticket holders are corporate/business with no plans of letting those tickets go. Is it possible to get those companies to purchase both NHL and NBA season tickets? If not, do you think the average Vancouver citizen will be able to add NBA season tickets to their expenses?

We can afford Chris Paul. The roster size of an NBA team is only 12 players. Thats roughly half of an NHL roster. Plus with a new CBA we can expect a salary cap. For example a team like Miami, has a salary of 65 million this year. Thats with the big 3.

Back when the Grizzlies were still in town the CAD $ was really low compared to nowadays as well.

*fun fact* Stromile Swift now plays in China. Thats how bad our management was.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #44
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

The problem is to relocate players in this city where the black population is nearly zero. Why would players want to live in an asian infested city? Or partially move their family/assets here?

However, a team in Vancouver means sold out stadiums every game. Filling up seats may be one of NBA's priorities. Take a look at a shitty team like TO vs. Cleveland. A lot of the seats are empty down there.

From a business perspective, Vancouver is profitable due to high demand. To attract a crew to play here... that's the challenge.

Whoever said Canucks tickets are too expensive... They are not. At least for this season where they are the top of NHL. Check out LA Lakers prices. That's expensive. It's just that Canadians get dinged by 999x different taxes and fees.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #45
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
I was interviewed by someone at the recent exhibition game about my thoughts on bringing the NBA back to Vancouver. I summed it up pretty much the same as adambomb. Completely unfeasible and unaffordable. I'm a pretty big hockey fan and I can maybe afford to go to one Canucks game a year (which is total bullshit IMO). The NBA following in Vancouver isn't there to replicate the ticket sales like they see with the Canucks and casual attendees that go simply for something to do won't float the team for even a season once the novelty wears off.

The NBA won't be back, and if it does it will fail again.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #46
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

At least Reeves tried to carry the grizzlies before he became fat
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #47
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

now excuse me if I got this all wrong but I think your comparison of star salaries doesn't really mean anything. An average NBA team rosters are much smaller than NHL rosters so having the nba stars earn more than the nhl stars doesn't really mean we can't support a basketball team. In fact roughly about half the NBA has a team payroll smaller than the Vancouver Canucks this season. While I do understand hockey is the more predominate sport in Vancouver I think as long as the team doesn't blow as hard as the old grizzlies I think they will get a solid enough fan base to keep in business but of course that is just I think.
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #48
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
If the NBA came back here it would be great, games are cheap and fun to watch. I don't understand why you think there would be border issues for players from the NBA, they get on a plane and fly across. Not all Americans are "ignorant morons" and you prove your own ignorance by saying that.

I still have a grizzlies paw glove from back in the day :P
ok let me rephrase that, "ignorant american basketball players"

Pratt and Taylor just went on a big rant about how in it's current state the NBA would not work in Vancouver because like i said, there's no hard cap

Taylor also went in depth as to the exact same reasons i laid out in my original post about not being able to attract free agents for a multitude of reasons, taxes, ignorance, border, etc.

and crossing the border is not just as easy as "hopping on a plane" when you go from Canada to USA, if you were a player on an NBA team would you prefer to go through customs 40+ games a season, or MAYBE 10 games?

Basketball imo is a class-less sport, no matter how good a team here will be they will always play second fiddle to the Canucks, and imo having a basketball tenant in Rogers Arena almost feels like it would cheapen the feel of the Nucks.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #49
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeDrink View Post
now excuse me if I got this all wrong but I think your comparison of star salaries doesn't really mean anything. An average NBA team rosters are much smaller than NHL rosters so having the nba stars earn more than the nhl stars doesn't really mean we can't support a basketball team. In fact roughly about half the NBA has a team payroll smaller than the Vancouver Canucks this season. While I do understand hockey is the more predominate sport in Vancouver I think as long as the team doesn't blow as hard as the old grizzlies I think they will get a solid enough fan base to keep in business but of course that is just I think.
The fans of every single one of those teams with a payroll smaller than the Canucks begin their season KNOWING their team has -zero- chance in winning a championship.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #50
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The fans of every single one of those teams with a payroll smaller than the Canucks begin their season KNOWING their team has -zero- chance in winning a championship.
lol not really, the Miami heat? the Bulls? thunder? and there are plenty of solid teams(suns, hornets, knicks) in that group and yes a lot of junk teams too, so your saying unless we can afford a 91 million dollar Lakers franchise we shouldn't have a team ?
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote