REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Vancouver Grizzles Part Deux?!

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=354073

Quote:
VANCOUVER -- Canucks Sports and Entertainment chairman Francesco Aquilini is looking to bring the NBA back to Vancouver, according to a report in The Globe and Mail.

Citing anonymous sources, the Globe says Aquilini, whose family owns the NHL's Canucks but was never involved with basketball's Vancouver Grizzlies, is inspecting the New Orleans Hornets.

The Hornets are being sold by the NBA and could be relocated in the next few years.

During an interview this week, commissioner David Stern said Vancouver is one of several markets interested in a relocated NBA franchise, and went out of his way to praise the strong business performance of the Canucks.

"We've had visits from, believe it or not, Vancouver, where the Canucks are absolutely doing a spectacular job," Stern told ESPN.

Aquilini did not respond to requests for comment Tuesday.

The NBA's Grizzlies left Vancouver for Memphis in 2001 after just six seasons, a brief existence that Stern has called his largest regret in 27 years as commissioner.

.......obviously they wouldnt be known as the grizzlies if they are looking to purchase the hornets......
Advertisement
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Hopeless Romantic

Saw this on a bunch of my buddies' news feeds and statuses, would be pretty sick to have a Vancouver team back in the NBA

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Another article on it, http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...k-to-vancouver

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - It has been 10 years since the "fur flew" in Vancouver with the Grizzlies. But, word is the NBA could return to town.

Are we are ready to bring professional basketball back to Rogers Arena? There was never a real lack of basketball fans in the Lower Mainland, but News1130 is finding some who say it would still be tough to support an NBA team here.

Hannes tells us he'd love to see professional basketball return. "But simply having fans in a city isn't good enough to keep a team afloat."

"I lived in Edmonton for 11 years and if you take a small market NHL team as a comparison, the Oilers probably have one of the strongest fan bases in the NHL," he adds. "But they struggled to stay afloat there."

Hockey has been successful in Vancouver, but Hannes points to the disparity in finances between the NHL and NBA. "Salaries in the NBA are reaching [at least] $100 million! I don't think [an NBA team] would stay afloat here. I don't think there's enough capital in it. I don't think there's enough merchandising in it."

There are reports the Aquilini family -- which owns the Canucks -- is interested in buying the New Orleans Hornets and bringing the team to Rogers Arena.

Why didn't the Grizzlies work?

Critics blame the Grizzlies' original General Manager for the team's disastrous showing.

News1130 Sports' Rick Dhaliwal says Stu Jackson made some bad draft choices. "Mike Bibby was one, [Steve] Francis was another one. He told them before the draft, "I'm not coming to Vancouver, don't pick me" and they still picked him."

"Big Country, he just did not pan out after they gave him $64 million. Shareef Abdur-Rahim, to his credit, signed the long-term deal," he adds. "But at the end of the day, one guy wasn't going to turn this organization around."

He says Jackson's biggest mistake was his decision not to draft Steve Nash.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
hope they dont fuck up and get someone like Bryant "Big Country" Reeves for their first choice!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Please don't hire retards for management this time.
Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
It would be cool to see an NBA team make it in Vancouver with owners who actually want to keep the team here.

I'm not much of a basketball fan, can't watch it on TV, but watching the athleticism live is impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
If they do come all it's going to be is a another profitable Vancouver franchise giving money to revenue sharing have-not teams in the NBA once the new CBA forces a hard cap on the league

Personally I'm against it because another team in Canada will be just like the raptors, some kid from the hood in Chicago won't want to deal with border issues, ignorant morons look at Vancouver and say "lol Canada? No thanks" and until a decent reputation and respectable team is put together, this Vancouver team will have to overpay FA's to get them to come here because why would some southern born and bred player want to come here for another 500k when he could play in Memphis and be closer to
Home, etc etc

Stay away NBA!
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemiko View Post
Poorly written article.

Fact: As much of a shitty GM Stu was, he did try to draft Nash with a secondary pick. We tried to trade up with a second 1st round pick back it was not high enough to get him. Lieutenant Hindsight says we should have drafted him, but no way he was that good to be 3rd pick overall at that time. Even the following year, the 4th pick (used to get Antonio Daniels) was the asking price of Phoenix for giving up Nash. Again, it would have been a questionable move at that time to deal the 4th pick overall alone for Nash. Phoenix knew how much he was worth to the Vancouver market and commanded a lot of premium for him. If I were Stu, I would have asked for a backup big-man along with Nash for the 4th pick (hot rod williams comes to mind) at that time. I wonder why Stu did not entertain that. Oh never mind, he was a shitty GM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
hope they dont fuck up and get someone like Bryant "Big Country" Reeves for their first choice!
Reeves over Finley
Abdur Rahim over Allen, Kobe, Nash
Daniels over McGrady
Bibby over Carter, Nowitzki, Pierce <-- our best pick actually
Francis over Artest, Hamilton, Davis
Swift over Crawford, Turkoglu
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

That arrogant SOB Francis put a dagger into our franchise. I still remember his protruding lower lips and a face like his dog died on the day of his draft. DUDE, U JUST GOT DRAFTED! At least fake a smile.

Nonetheless, I would welcome the Grizzlies back. But again most of these NBA players have attitude problems and its funny how many of these players attended college but still think we live in igloos
pure.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If they do come all it's going to be is a another profitable Vancouver franchise giving money to revenue sharing have-not teams in the NBA once the new CBA forces a hard cap on the league

Personally I'm against it because another team in Canada will be just like the raptors, some kid from the hood in Chicago won't want to deal with border issues, ignorant morons look at Vancouver and say "lol Canada? No thanks" and until a decent reputation and respectable team is put together, this Vancouver team will have to overpay FA's to get them to come here because why would some southern born and bred player want to come here for another 500k when he could play in Memphis and be closer to
Home, etc etc

Stay away NBA!
Posted via RS Mobile
Reminds me of Stromile Swift when he moved to Memphis along with the team. During a meet n greet at a school, the rims on his yukon got jacked. He was complaining how ghetto Memphis was and that he missed Vancouver and all its amenities.

Since the NBA is more global now, it would be great to grab 1 or 2 players from Europe and China if there was a team here.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I think they will have an easier time in terms of signing players and staying afloat this time around tho. I think we're forgettin that our dollar was really weak at the time as well so you really were paying 1.5 times what the signing amount was. And given the strong economy we have going right now, there should be a fair amount of corporate support especially for those companies that don't want to sponsor an enormous amount for the canucks given their popularity.
Posted via RS Mobile
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Home, etc etc

Stay away NBA!
Posted via RS Mobile
If the NBA came back here it would be great, games are cheap and fun to watch. I don't understand why you think there would be border issues for players from the NBA, they get on a plane and fly across. Not all Americans are "ignorant morons" and you prove your own ignorance by saying that.

I still have a grizzlies paw glove from back in the day :P
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

I wouldn't actually mind a return of an NBA franchise here. The only reason Vancouver didn't do so well was the lack of talent we had, which led to declining attendance because of constantly poor performance.

I saw an Abdur Rahim Grizzlies jersey @ the Jersey City near my mall, I was really close to buying it because Dipt sells them for ridiculous prices IIRC. Hard to find them nowadays. (I love the fitted hats though.)
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Reeves over Finley
Abdur Rahim over Allen, Kobe, Nash
Daniels over McGrady
Bibby over Carter, Nowitzki, Pierce <-- our best pick actually
Francis over Artest, Hamilton, Davis
Swift over Crawford, Turkoglu
- It was impossible to see Finley to be this good.
- Abdur Rahim was a good pick. I would have picked Ray Allen though. Steve Nash was not worth the 3rd overall pick at that time, it was impossible to conceive he would be that good. Kobe, well that was a big risk.
- Bibby pick was dumb, Paul Pierce stated he wanted to play for the Grizzlies.
- Daniels over McGrady - yeah, it was a weak draft, I would have risked picking a high school kid as well.
- Francis and Swift - weak drafts as well, perhaps trading down would have been the best options
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I hope we get a good GM and headcoach for our next nba team.

does anyone know of another city where 2 pro teams were successful? by success i dont mean revenue generation/profitability -- i mean Stanley cups and championships ..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again

FUCK YOU STU JACKSON
Posted via RS Mobile
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

does anyone know of another city where 2 pro teams were successful? by success i dont mean revenue generation/profitability -- i mean Stanley cups and championships ..
Boston

Superbowl Champions, NBA Champions, Word Series Champions in a short period of time.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
GO FLAMES GO

Quote:

chicago.....

blackhawks, bulls, bears, and cubs(long championship drought, but popular team)
Club-Integra.net OG

Last edited by Tegra_Devil; 02-16-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Pittsburgh Penguins: Stanley Cup in 2007-08 and 2008-09
Pittsburgh Steelers: Superbowl in 2005 and 2008
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again

FUCK YOU STU JACKSON
Posted via RS Mobile

IT'S NOT MY FAULT

I remember when they were giving away free Grizzlies tickets in elementary school.
Sister gave them to me for free after she got them from her teacher. lol.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

I can only hope they bring a franchise back to Vancouver...after Grizzlies left, I went to Seattle for a couple games/year...now I have to go to Portland to watch a game!
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #23
GO FLAMES GO

at least we would get some cheap entertainment, until vancouver got really good in the nba, then the prices would rise for games
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

This city cannot financially support an NBA basketball team.

As cool as it would be, the bottom line is ticket sales. Considering how much we pay in taxes here and how expensive goods and services are. How much do you think your average ticket will have to cost to sustain the NBA salaries, all associated staff with the team and to ensure a profit in Aquilini's pockets? Chris Paul makes about 16 million a season. How much do we pay the Sedin's or Luongo? Less than 10 million a season I think.

I have to ask those who actually support an NBA team in Vancouver. How much are you willing to pay for a ticket and what is your limit? Limit being how much before you say fuck it and watch the game on the couch at home.
$50/seat, $80, $100? and of course, you'll want to go with a friend. So everything is x2. Unless you're this guy --->

Let's not forget, season ticket holders are what keeps teams in towns. The majority of Canucks season ticket holders are corporate/business with no plans of letting those tickets go. Is it possible to get those companies to purchase both NHL and NBA season tickets? If not, do you think the average Vancouver citizen will be able to add NBA season tickets to their expenses?

Going to a game or two a season is not enough to support an NBA franchise.

Last edited by adambomb; 02-18-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: grammar
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I wonder how long "next few years" really is.... 2? 3? 4? lol.. hope we do get one soon though!!!! Go Lakers!!
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote