REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Speeding ticket in the snow (https://www.revscene.net/forums/638737-speeding-ticket-snow.html)

kkw16 02-26-2011 11:11 PM

Speeding ticket in the snow

Ok so i got a speeding ticket for driving 62km/hr according to the officer.
On No.4 between granville and bundle. Feb 26
The freaking cop was parked on the side of the lane and freaking U turn up to me to give me the ticket.
It was 8 :30 PM when he caught me.

It was snowing but I can still somewhat see the road.

The description of offence: Speed "Kevf"tive(his writing is so ugly i can't even read the word) to condition. Act MV. For $167

Is there anyway I could fight the ticket?

When I got caught I was the only car on the road and driving with brand new 4 season tires. Not sure if these info will help or not

TRDood 02-26-2011 11:15 PM

50 is max, you did 62. What's there to fight about?

Snow or not. You are still speeding...
Posted via RS Mobile

Gee.Tee.Ar 02-26-2011 11:16 PM

No point trying to fight it if you were actually speeding.

impactX 02-26-2011 11:16 PM

So why were you speeding in the snow with crappy tires?

RevRav 02-26-2011 11:23 PM

What makes you think you shouldn't deserve the ticket?

Cause you had BRAND NEW all season tires? :facepalm:

Quote:

Total Posts
Seriously? Making a duplicated account just to ask this question?

InvisibleSoul 02-26-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevRav (Post 7321125)

This.

BrRsn 02-26-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

its sad because even he knows he'll be ridiculed for his stupidity. Man up, pay the fine. Just because most people think 10 over is ok doesn't mean it actually is. Think of all the times you've done 60+ .. you got caught, ontop of that in the snow, good job!

CRS 02-26-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Oddly enough, it isn't a duplicated.

It's actually fairly common (from what I can tell) for people to sign up on RS to solely seek out advice on the police forum.

And OP, I think the note said "speed relative to conditions". Basically the speed limit of 50km/hr is under optimal conditions. Anything like rain or snow (in this case) you should be going below the said speed but seeing as you were going 62, well you have no grounds for a dispute. Unless you're saying that you weren't anywhere between 1-12km over the limit.

LiquidTurbo 02-27-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkw16 (Post 7321110)
Ok so i got a speeding ticket for driving 62km/hr according to the officer.
On No.4 between granville and bundle. Feb 26
The freaking cop was parked on the side of the lane and freaking U turn up to me to give me the ticket.
It was 8 :30 PM when he caught me.

It was snowing but I can still somewhat see the road.

The description of offence: Speed "Kevf"tive(his writing is so ugly i can't even read the word) to condition. Act MV. For $167

Is there anyway I could fight the ticket?

When I got caught I was the only car on the road and driving with brand new 4 season tires. Not sure if these info will help or not

Just see it as a Lesson learned. Speeding in the snow is even WORSE than speeding in dry conditions.

Hot Karl 02-27-2011 02:28 AM

tickets that you feel are unfair, don't need to be paid. just write "NOT PAYING" on the ticket and mail it back.

it's a rare loophole in the MVA. now they will send back various letters claiming you must pay the ticket. that is standard procedure. after 2 letters, they'll know you're serious about not paying and will waive the charge.

xilley 02-27-2011 02:46 AM

^wont get in more shit with them? or the government?
if thats the case i got 10 mails going to them tomorrow
even if it snows like a mother fucker i m going to mail it

Prolowtone 02-27-2011 03:06 AM

Just wow :rofl:

shtone 02-27-2011 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 7321302)
tickets that you feel are unfair, don't need to be paid. just write "NOT PAYING" on the ticket and mail it back.

it's a rare loophole in the MVA. now they will send back various letters claiming you must pay the ticket. that is standard procedure. after 2 letters, they'll know you're serious about not paying and will waive the charge.

i am gona try that with my ticket thanks for the idea man..

zulutango 02-27-2011 05:44 AM

"144 (1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle on a highway

(c) at a speed that is excessive relative to the road, traffic, visibility or weather conditions.

Driving what you admit to...12 k over the limit ( "It was snowing but I could somewhat see the road") , in a snow storm is speeding "relative to the weather conditions". Do you know how much more distance it takes you to stop, how much more difficult it is to turn, how much harder it is to react to situations that aries, when you are speeing in a snow storm? If not...you just answered your own question...if you do know, then why did you drive in this risky manner? I have issued VTs to drivers doing the limit in similar conditoins and got convictions and a lecture to the driver from the Traffic Court JPs. The drivers were speeding in heavy rain, slush, puddled water, and with limited visibility in fog. Unable to see, unable to control the vehicle and unable to safely stop, all in all, a really bad choice. Telling the JP what you admitted to us, will not get you off and will convict you.

Soundy 02-27-2011 06:43 AM

Probably a good thing PF doesn't allow FAILs, RS would probably explode with the number the OP would get.

ninjatune 02-27-2011 09:39 AM

FYI - some people understand this but not all - 4 season tires are the incorrect type of tires for our winters.

Oleophobic 02-27-2011 09:52 AM

smh

zulutango 02-27-2011 10:24 AM

He could have been driving an Abrams M1 battle tank and he still would have bene wrong.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/abrams.htm

MWR34 02-27-2011 10:48 AM

The posted speed limit is for Ideal and best possible conditions. If 50 was the limit, then with snow on the road, or a snow storm happening, you should be travelling below the speed limit. its not just you on the road, there are hundreds of variables that contribute to an accident. wether it be with a curb, moving car, parked car, living things, or property. Just drive like a granny, and you'll be OK in the snow and police.

Preemo 02-27-2011 10:49 AM

Being the only person on the road, speeding while snowing and driving with brand new all season tires only makes you a moron.

When you write "not paying" on your ticket, I hope they write back with "Fail".

Jermyzy 02-27-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7321518)
He could have been driving an Abrams M1 battle tank and he still would have bene wrong.

If you're driving a tank, I don't think anybody would ever say you're wrong lol

Bainne 02-27-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatune (Post 7321448)
4 season tires are the incorrect type of tires for our winters.

Time to invest in a good set of rain tires

To the OP; late at night, not sure on the street lamps in the area, or the snow conditions, or the other vehicles on the road but you could attempt to make a case that the officer would not have been able to accurately pinpoint your vehicle in said conditions. Sort of depends on whether it was radar, laser or visual. Calibration for conditions may be a point to bring up for lidar.

Otherwise you are pretty much SOL. Please do the rest of us a favour and slow down in poor conditions. You're not invincible, and neither are the rest of us on the road.

Vale46Rossi 02-27-2011 11:55 AM

Hmm, sadly enough there are a lot of people that should be ticketed in the snow...

I hate those dumbass guys with their trucks thinking they are god like and immune to anything.

I saw one doing 80 + in a snow covered area and could not stop in time and T-Boned a civic in to a ditch.

I called the police. Fucking dumbshit.

sulos 02-28-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7321518)

Wrong, see Hot Karl's post. Probably the best advice given on revscene yet.
Posted via RS Mobile

TaYab 02-28-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 7321302)

+1
LMAO
It will never happen.
Only way I see is claim it and go to the court.
and hope that officer would not show up.