REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Cheap place for eye exam (prescription glass/ contacts) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/638950-cheap-place-eye-exam-prescription-glass-contacts.html)

wasabisashimi 03-01-2011 11:53 AM

Cheap place for eye exam (prescription glass/ contacts)

Where is the cheapest place for eye exam. I want new prescription glasses and contact lens.

My doctors charges me $80 (this went up from $65), I find this unbelievable. I have no extended health care coverage for this.

TheNewGirl 03-01-2011 12:30 PM

Generally you don't want 'cheap' when it comes to your health. 'Cheap' places are going to give you prescriptions just to get you to buy things.

When was the last time you got your eyes checked? If it was within 2 years your doctor should give you a copy of your prescription and you can take it where ever you like to get your glasses.

If you got your last set of glasses done at a large chain they will have your prescription on file.

If you need your prescription changed I recommend shelling out the $85 and getting a proper eye exam done. The last thing you want is some quicky deal and then shelling out $300 for glasses that don't work for you or having the tech over look something serious.

dyan 03-01-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7324347)
Generally you don't want 'cheap' when it comes to your health. 'Cheap' places are going to give you prescriptions just to get you to buy things.

The more expensive it is doesn't mean that its good either..

wasabisashimi 03-01-2011 12:51 PM

I want it done properly by an optomitrist/ a doctor. But I've heard different doctor charges different rate for their eye exam. I need a new prescription as my old one is too weak now.

^ I agree expensive doesn't mean better in this. Alot of doctor's overcharge and I still didn't feel he cared for my eye or health, just another cash grab for him.

So, I need a doctors who can perform test with my eye with reasonale cost.

TheNewGirl 03-02-2011 07:33 AM

True, but most if the places who give them cheap or free are the ones that are associated with the glasses stores and tend to skip the screening and go straight to the glass fitting. (There is a difference between seeing an opthamologist and and an optomistrist)

Mine charges $85 as well, so does my daughters for adults. I think that's pretty much the norm.

http://www.westcoastoptical.com/testing.html Apparently gives free eye exams with purchase of eyeglasses. But then you have to buy their glasses.

wasabisashimi 03-02-2011 10:09 AM

Ya, I wouldn't want a glass store free eye exam, I want a full exam from doctor. I didn't know they all raise their price... kinda sucks

Matlock 03-02-2011 01:18 PM

Last time I went I got a (government?) discount, because I am colorblind. I think it was like $40 off. Maybe try being colorblind.

Tapioca 03-02-2011 09:46 PM

I understand your pain, but eyes are something you don't want to skimp out on.

I go to the Mount Pleasant Optometry Clinic on Broadway and Quebec. My most recent exam cost me about 100 bucks, but it was very comprehensive. They tested me on everything - vision, corneas, depth perception, eye pressure, and even my peripheral vision. My exam took me about an hour and this included a consultation on my contact lenses.

Matlock 03-04-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 7326719)
I understand your pain, but eyes are something you don't want to skimp out on.

I go to the Mount Pleasant Optometry Clinic on Broadway and Quebec. My most recent exam cost me about 100 bucks, but it was very comprehensive. They tested me on everything - vision, corneas, depth perception, eye pressure, and even my peripheral vision. My exam took me about an hour and this included a consultation on my contact lenses.

Hey that's where I go, too! They are very good, because a lot of other places don't even do the eye pressure test.

RESN 03-05-2011 10:11 AM

If you have had your eye checked within the last year or year and a half, chances are there hasn't been much change (depending on how old you are). If you feel like your prescription has slightly changed, and don't feel a need to spend $80-$100, you can go to any optical store and get your eyes checked for the prescription. I recommend A&P Optical on Cambie and 18th. They are very nice and provide free eye exam with purchase of glasses or contacts. The pricing there is pretty good and their lenses always include the Anti Reflective Coating, Scratch Resistant.. (and a few other things I don't remember) whereas many places like Lenscrafters will make the frame and lenses seem cheap with the minimum coating, and then AFTER will suggest you to adding the other coatings on which makes the overall price just ridiculous. If you feel like you need a eye exam I also recommend Mount Pleasant Optometry as I feel like they provide the best service. I've been to Oakridge, and the Doctor seemed to only carelessly check me for 5-10 minutes. I was pretty unsatisfied. Hope this helps

aznrsx1979 03-06-2011 09:03 PM

I went to Image Optometry a little while back when they had the groupon for the eye exam and glasses. I'm not 100% sure of the cost of the exam but I think it was $80. The doctor at the west vancouver location did a thorough job.

http://image.ca/

Euro7r 03-06-2011 09:33 PM

My Optometrist charges me $90. I go to Thomas Lau on Ackroyd Rd.

acurael 03-12-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7325731)
True, but most if the places who give them cheap or free are the ones that are associated with the glasses stores and tend to skip the screening and go straight to the glass fitting. (There is a difference between seeing an opthamologist and and an optomistrist)

Mine charges $85 as well, so does my daughters for adults. I think that's pretty much the norm.

http://www.westcoastoptical.com/testing.html Apparently gives free eye exams with purchase of eyeglasses. But then you have to buy their glasses.

Just to clarify some things in this thread:

An eye exam is done by a doctor (optometrist or ophthalmologist). Optometrists provide a prescription as well as a health check of your eyes. Ophthalmologists perform surgeries primarily (Lasik, cataract surgery etc), although there are some that still provide prescriptions as well as a eye health check.

There are optical stores (such as the one you have put a link of) that do SIGHT TESTING. This is done with an automated machine and is only a vision test done by a non-doctor (optician). It is not an eye exam and they usually provide this service for free as long as you buy your glasses from them (thats why its free). The health of the eye is not evaluated since an optician is not trained to diagnose or treat eye disease.

Eye exams with a doctor will ensure that your vision changes/prescription changes are "normal" and not due to any disease of your eye. Also your prescription will be made considering many other factors such as how your eyes work together etc. Often a prescription is modified from what you pick ("1 or 2") when the doctor considers other factors.

Its best to get your eyes examined with a doctor since they are properly qualified to not only provide you a prescription for glasses or contacts but also check the health of your eyes since that is related to your prescription. Diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, macular degeneration, cataracts, glaucoma or corneal problems can all change your prescription. Often you can still be corrected to 20/20 or close to that and have an underlying issue that needs to be looked after. A sight test will miss all these things.

In terms of places to get your eyes examined, I would recommend a private clinic - usually the doctor will have more time to spend with you, which means a more comprehensive exam. Hope this helps.

604dragon 03-14-2011 10:58 PM

http://goodnews.com/vancouver/deals/...-eye-opticians

you might enjoy this for a cheaper price.

acurael 03-15-2011 06:18 PM

Appears that this is just a sight test and not an eye exam with a doctor. Looking at their website the sight test is free normally when you buy glasses - not as good of a deal as it seems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604dragon (Post 7344577)
http://goodnews.com/vancouver/deals/...-eye-opticians

you might enjoy this for a cheaper price.

Posted via RS Mobile