REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Scuba Diving

Any scuba divers here?
Advertisement
kalekain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
any places to do scuba diving in van (beginner, never done it before)? i would like to know
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Advanced open water here.

Vancouver is actually one of the nicest places in the world to do scuba diving believe it or not. The eco-diversity makes for some awesome dives as long as you have a dry-suit. Waters are too cold for a wetsuit and man, it would just suck.

Greenstoner:

http://www.divinglocker.ca/ is where you want to head to -> get your basic PADI and if you can, do the drysuit certification.

Porteau Cove and Whytecliff parks are some of the closer dive sites. The shipwrecks are pretty neat to explore.

Best time to dive is actually the winter because the water is more clear, but without a drysuit, it would really really suck.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

is this consider as an expensive sport ?

i know the inital cost is probably gonna be a lot but im more worry about the gear, hows the wear and tear on them ?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Depends on how often you want to go. If it's a couple times a year thing and you don't want the hassle of renting your own gear, then you can go rent it. Most people will start off by buying their own goggles and fins.

If you want to buy your gear, then it adds up. Can run you into the thousands for a dry suit + BCD depending on what you get.

You will always need to rent tanks. Pricing when I dived was $10 a tank, but it's been awhile since i've dived.

Go take your basic padi. Buy goggles and snorkel.

If you like it, take your advanced and then decide what gear you want to buy from there.

http://www.scubagearcanada.ca/ to get a feel for pricing

Last edited by DaFonz; 03-03-2011 at 03:45 PM.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

thx again, always wanted to try !
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
SCUBA diving is fun, but I hate how it dries out your mouth.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,336 Times in 967 Posts
if any of you want a scuba diving buddy give me a shout, i'm an instructor.

Vancouver has a few dive spots but nothing compared to the amazing and ever crazy diving over at Victoria. From sea lions, 6 gills sharks, penetrating in a 747 aircraft, to 300 ft ship wrecks, lingcods, rock fishes. etc....

Scuba diving is a great sport, the only thing is just like any other sport, you need to get involved in with some great people to keep you going. eg// if u don't have friends snowboarding, u probably won't go urself, same with scuba diving.

PM me more for details.

6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Have my own gear including tanks, but i haven't dove in my drysuit for about 1+ year now since i got spoiled with warm water diving.
kalekain is offline   Reply With Quote