REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   BC speeding ticket. AB resident (https://www.revscene.net/forums/639201-bc-speeding-ticket-ab-resident.html)

yee11 03-04-2011 07:14 AM

BC speeding ticket. AB resident

What are the consequences of being pulled over in BC assuming I have a speeding ticket from 3 years ago unpaid?

zulutango 03-04-2011 07:25 AM

In BC there are no warrants issued for VTs. If you have never had a BC DL, the MVB will issue you a "BC DL number" for reference purposes. You will not be able to complete any MVB transaction until the fine plus interest is paid in full. I'm not familiar with the Alberta MVB so I can't comment on if Alberta MVB will come after you in Alberta for the money. There may be a co-operation agreement in place between the 2 provinces?

yee11 03-04-2011 07:42 AM

Thanks for your response. So what does VT and MVB stand for exactly?
I don't think Alberta is coming after me but I've recieved letters from ICBC a couple years ago. So if I am pulled over in BC again they wouldn't arrest me and impound my car? I also lost my ticket so i dont even know how I would pay it!

Rich Sandor 03-04-2011 08:04 AM

VT = violation ticket
MVB = Motor Vehicle Bureau (ICBC in BC)

sho_bc 03-04-2011 08:27 AM

If you decided at any point you wanted to pay it (while here in BC), you could attend a court registry or an ICBC Drivers Licencing center and provide your name, date of birth and Alberta licence. They'll be able to look it up for you that way. An Autoplan office might be able to help you as well.

yee11 03-04-2011 08:43 AM

So I should pay it if I ever want to get a BC DL? But if I don't and I get pulled over (with AB DL) I wouldnt get arrested and towed? Thats my main concern cause I have a weekend in Vancouver and wont want to spend it dealing with that. Just in case i get pulled over..

CRS 03-04-2011 09:03 AM

I'm curious as to why you haven't/didn't pay the speeding ticket from 3 years ago?

If it isn't too much money and you were guilty of speeding, why not just pay the ticket and be done with it so you won't have to worry?

yee11 03-04-2011 09:06 AM

It just never came to my attention until my trip. I kinda put it off for a while then ICBC stopped sending me letters and I forgot all about it. I am going to pay it when I'm there. just don't know how much it will be with the interest.. :s

Berzerker 03-04-2011 09:06 AM

Ok to address your concern....

NO nothing will happen if you get pulled over here as a result of you owing a ticket. You will NOT be arrested and your car will NOT be impounded.

However, you will NOT be able get a BC license without paying it off. In fact there are a lot of things being tied in with ICBC now so that if you owe money you will not be able to renew your license OR insurance without first paying off the amount owed.

Berz out.

CRS 03-04-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yee11 (Post 7328707)
It just never came to my attention until my trip. I kinda put it off for a while then ICBC stopped sending me letters and I forgot all about it. I am going to pay it when I'm there. just don't know how much it will be with the interest.. :s

Easy way to find out to just call. I believe they have a 1-800 number too so it won't cost you anything.

http://icbc.com/contact-us

Its there: 1-800-663-3051

gars 03-04-2011 09:49 AM

I thought ICBC partnered with AB so you will have to pay off your tickets before renewing your AB license.

yee11 03-04-2011 10:11 AM

No they don't. I've renewed my license and got my motorcycle license since. No problems. Another reason I kept putting it off haha
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 03-04-2011 04:22 PM

Hey...give the guy a breaak....he's been punished enough. He's living in Edmonton in the WINTER...and he has that crummy hockey team instead of the magnificent Cannucks.:devil: