REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
L'Abattoir

L'Abattoir is located at Gastown (217 CARRALL ST. GASTOWN VANCOUVER ) and to tell you the truth, it's not hidden but it not that well advertised with a huge sign on the wall (esp when 6 arces, Phnom Penh, vera burger, L'Abattori are all side by side each other).

We went on a Friday night and we got seated at the bar. The staff were super nice, hung our jackets and it's a really tiny yet busy place. It's more casual dining but it's an older crowd with a decent drink menu. Let's get down to the food.

Dungeness crab and chickpea toast: It was presented extremely nicely and it was served in a toast that was shaped of a cup with everything inside. The dungenuess crab and the chickpeas were seasoned perfectly and not too much mayo. Perfectly executed to let the dungeness crab shine.

Loin of rabbit stuffed with its legs. This was a bit pricier item on the menu for 26 dollars. Rabbit is a tad lean so to have lovely bacon wrapped and pan fried, it was just delicious served with also rabbit fritters and the puree of prune plumbs was sweet, but to top it off, they had again bacon bits just to balance off the lean rabbit.

Raw pacific oysters for 15 dollars seems expensive for 5 oysters, but they also had 4 tiny fritters and it was paired beautifully.

Confit of albacore tuna was a cheaper dish, it had CHUNKS of Smoked pork fat (so awesome) but the tuna was meh

Dessert was Caramelized bananas (which wasn't that caramelized) however, the Caramel parfait, crispy phyllo, rum raisin ice cream trio was just perfect.

for 2 people with drinks, we dropped 135 dollars, but the food was just perfect. I would definitely go back but it won't be a while because it's not such a huge menu.

8.5 / 10 (it would have been 9 out of 10 if only they didn't make us wait for a good 20 min for our main course to come).

OH, instead of bread, they gave us a piping hot puff pastry cheese sticks, crackers, and some walnut mini pastry... that was just epic good.
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

They have a 2000 St. Emilion at $80 which is a steal.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Confit of albacore tuna was a cheaper dish, it had CHUNKS of Smoked pork fat (so awesome) but the tuna was meh
Huh? How does this even work?
Confit should be breaking down the fat and connective tissue to make it more tender. But tuna is like all meat already.
What was the texture of the tuna like afterwards?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
confit is a very loosely used term. It doesn't have to mean cooked in its own fat. You can cook something in any fat and call it confit. ie. Garlic confit in olive oil
Posted via RS Mobile
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
Eric ripert even calls lemons cured in salt (no oil), lemon confit. Not sure what the basis is on that one
Posted via RS Mobile
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Yeah...
I didn't say it's own fat.

Cause I'm going to do a pork belly soon, and I have no intention of buying a thingy of lard. I'll just use the duck fat I have.

But.
I'm more curious on what's the point of confit-ing tuna. What's the objective for doing so. And wow does it turn out?

I thought oil poached would be to submerge until cooked.
And confit is cured and submerged until connective tissue breaks down.

P.S.
I have no culinary training. Just asking for more knowledge.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
Unit nailed it down perfectly. There were maybe a piece of tun the size of your iphone, split into 4 pieces / chunks. The tuna was cooked in fat cause you can see it being all shinny as if it was glazed with oil. The tuna was not memorable but composition of the dish was.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Yeah...
I didn't say it's own fat.

Cause I'm going to do a pork belly soon, and I have no intention of buying a thingy of lard. I'll just use the duck fat I have.

But.
I'm more curious on what's the point of confit-ing tuna. What's the objective for doing so. And wow does it turn out?

I thought oil poached would be to submerge until cooked.
And confit is cured and submerged until connective tissue breaks down.

P.S.
I have no culinary training. Just asking for more knowledge.
Must.
You type.

Like. This
?

Asshole.
sean_wong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: