REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Gapers' delay.

Hey skidmark, as a followup to the thread about "move over and slow down", perhaps there should be a discussion about gapers' delay, aka rubberneckers... you know, the idiots who feel the need to slow to a crawl to see what's going on at the side of the road, thus clogging up traffic for miles behind them, and creating an even more potentially dangerous situation as their attention is distracted?

I read about jurisdictions in the states now, where emergency responders are carrying large knock-up scrims to block the view of accident sites - a practice that's reportedly greatly improved traffic flow in such instances.

On the other hand, I get really tempted at times to just park my car in the middle of the road and get out to go over and see what's happening... it's the next logical step to gapers' delay, and substantially safer since I don't have to worry about hitting something while I'm distracted...
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

I figure that no matter how hard you try, there will always be at least one driver who will find a way to screw it all up.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
I subscribe to Revscene

If you just stopped pulling over speeders, there woudn't be anything to slow down for and look at

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

The spectacular wrecks from speeders running into each other are much more compelling to lookie-loos.
Quote:
Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The spectacular wrecks from speeders running into each other are much more compelling to lookie-loos.
Inattentive speeders.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

There should be some sort of "crack down on lookie loos". Can't remember how many times going into Richmond on the 91, where I have had to slam on my brakes coming over an overpass because everyone on the other side has slowed down to 50 to look at the cranberry farms or the low flying helicopter/spray plane in the fields next to the road.

Or when you are on the opposite side of the road (barrier and all) of an accident, and for some reason, YOUR lane is going slower than everyone traveling in the opposite direction.

This emoticon captures my feelings perfectly actually:

Some sort of privacy curtain does sound like an interesting idea - though I wonder about the potential for harm to the responders because drivers aren't able to see the individuals and thus may not be as cautious or able to respond accordingly if someone steps onto the roadway.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
We call them "crows"...nuisances that hang around highways, getting in the way & picking at dead stuff stuck to the pavement. Kinda crude, but you have to wonder what sort of human being wants to stop and gape at someone in crisis...specially when it often involves injury and death? Fail to move immediately and you will be waiting while I write you a ticket for failing to obey the directions of a peace officer.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
I don't get it

Isn't there a law that you have to pass by emergency veichles at 20-30 for safety reasons? I remember heading about that last year. Maybe skidmark can confirm?
Posted via RS Mobile
sulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulos View Post
Isn't there a law that you have to pass by emergency veichles at 20-30 for safety reasons? I remember heading about that last year. Maybe skidmark can confirm?
Posted via RS Mobile
Wow, you just failed harder than anyone else in the history of RS. Congratulations!

What are the very first words in this thread? "Hey skidmark, as a followup to the thread about "move over and slow down"..."

http://www.revscene.net/forums/behin...s-t578128.html

This law has actually been in place FOR OVER A YEAR AND A HALF.
Quote: