REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRav View Post
(Beside cooking it yourself at home)
The question then comes down to.....how can customers prevent themselves from being scram? You simply can't just get them to bring out a scale and weight it in front of you. (well you can, but many restaurants won't) Even they do show you the live crab before cooking / weight it infront if you, this won't stop them showing you one crab, and cooking another smaller crab.
THIS. very true what you just said. no restaurant will actually bring you a scale to show you. and if they do, they will almost certainly switch the crab when they cook it. ive personally seen this happen.

all you can really do is, go into dinner KNOWING that you are paying for more weight than you are actually getting. i mean, whoever is going out to a chinese seafood restaurant for live king crab isnt poor, or living paycheque to paycheque. so go in knowing what you are paying for and not worrying about it, and you'll have a good time and enjoy your dinner!

ps. you can always buy live king crab from me, and cook it yourself. you can even look at the scale when i weigh em lol
Advertisement
bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Got the good ole bait and switch from this place years ago: Top Cantonese Cuisine Restaurant

Ordered the fresh geoduck and they did the standard show you what you're getting, how much it weighs blah blah blah. Not two minutes after they showed us the live one, the dish was prepared!

We complained to the manager right away and he did not provide an explanation. After 10 minutes of the staff and manager trying to avoid us, we just walked out and never went back again.

Just go to a reputable place or somewhere where you go often enough that they know you. And never go to the place I mentioned above.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #28
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
^
LOL did you even pay or was this a straight up dine and dash?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
LOL did you even pay or was this a straight up dine and dash?
It was the first dish that was served. When we didn't get an explanation and left, nobody dared stop us cause they knew they messed up their little scam.

We didn't touch the dish either, just let it sit there.

Funny thing is, the whole situation could have been avoided if the manager just said the dish was for another table and brought it to us by mistake. But he was adamant that it was our dish.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #30
I subscribe to Revscene

cant wait

dam preparing at home is a lot of work eh?
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Whoa. Can you describe to me method 2 and 3?
I've only had "spicy peppery salty" aka jiew yeem.

Is the curry, salt and pepper like deep fried, then tossed with curry powder and spices?

If you've got shell/head with the Portuguese sauce and rice, how is the shell/head integrated into that dish?

If you've got pictures, please sure, I would love to try and tackle a king crab recipe this year while they are still in season.
I think the curry is similar to the curry crab you get at Tropica. The fried rice thing is nothing special, just like any other restaurants. The shell is used as a "bowl".
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #32
Unauthorized Spammer

Theres a good restaurant on number 3 road right across from Sears of Richmond Centre.
popopopopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popopopopp View Post
Theres a good restaurant on number 3 road right across from Sears of Richmond Centre.
would this be bamboo grove?

yes they are good. VERY good. BUT, one of the bigger scamming restaurants out there. just keep that in mind
Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #34
Banned (ABWS)

Just curious then...do you guys supply Shun Feng's crabs?
Do you know how honest they are when it comes to scramming?
Had a dinner there few weeks ago
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRav View Post
Just curious then...do you guys supply Shun Feng's crabs?
Do you know how honest they are when it comes to scramming?
Had a dinner there few weeks ago
is shun feng the one at parker place? if so, nope, and never would. if that is the one at parker place, before they changed their name, they were floata and they owed 100K+ to suppliers and never paid.

the restaurants i do supply currently are

shiang garden
sun sui wah richmond
sun sui wah vancouver
lucky tao
kirin
red star

we used to deliver to all restaurants in richmond, but as you know, chinese ppl dont like to pay right away, and like to drag on paying as long as they can. so we decided no more lol

BUT, i do know how EACH restaurant does business, as i have contacts at each one.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #36
I don't get it

How does Kirin fare?
darkfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfroggy View Post
How does Kirin fare?

for restaurants in richmond, my top 5 would be.(in terms of fairness/food/service)

Sun Sui Wah
Kirin
Shiang Garden
Jade
fisherman's terrace
Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #38
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Actually, prepping it at home isn't that big of a deal. Provided a couple things.

- You know how to handle regular dungeoness crabs. it's almost the same.
- You own a quality pair of kitchen shears.
- You have a large vessel capable of steaming a dish full of legs.

Our family has done the simple prep lots of times.
We just don't do the other courses of using the drippings to make a cream sauce for noodles.

We only do that for lobsters.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #39
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
if you need some planning to get cash for a king crab dinner, you shouldn't even consider eating out!

Is carrying only 2-300 bucks too tough for you?
Holy crap. How does someone turn out to be such a little snot like you? Your parents epic-ly failed in raising you.

I know that people often carry that amount in their wallets, and good for them. But does it not seem wiser to you to spend on a credit card that you can gain some sort of benefits from, whether it be points, cashback, or simply up to a month of free credit?

I don't know how people like you even have any friends left with the way you constantly show off and try to make yourself sound superior to people, not realizing that you make yourself look like a complete dumbass.

Back on topic.

I've heard Neptune on No.3 Road (Chapters Mall) in Richmond makes good King Crab too.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
Holy crap. How does someone turn out to be such a little snot like you? Your parents epic-ly failed in raising you.

I know that people often carry that amount in their wallets, and good for them. But does it not seem wiser to you to spend on a credit card that you can gain some sort of benefits from, whether it be points, cashback, or simply up to a month of free credit?

I don't know how people like you even have any friends left with the way you constantly show off and try to make yourself sound superior to people, not realizing that you make yourself look like a complete dumbass.

Back on topic.

I've heard Neptune on No.3 Road (Chapters Mall) in Richmond makes good King Crab too.
neptune's food is decent tasting. however, and its a big one...

neptune closed down for renovations a while ago and re-opened. prior to the renovations, they had, hands down, the absolute, grossest kitchen ive ever seen in my life. i would almost puke everytime i would go in there. i dunno how its like now, but i figure it wouldnt be much different. it was gross like that for years and years.

also, the owner is one of the biggest assholes in the restaurant industry. we would sell him crab or lobster, and then he would, on his own, deduct weight from the invoice because his tanks suck and product would end up dying. would never do business with him again, thus, i would never visit that establishment.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #41
My homepage has been set to RS

^
but they have cheap good dim sum before uhh 11 or 10 ?? :P
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #42
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

hmm... how much iis king crab from you bigrig? and how big/fresh is it?
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Yes Neptune and most rest have cheap dim sum b4 11 or 12.

The King crab I have are as fresh as they come. I get 2-3 deliveries a week and sell out each delivery within 2 days.
Sizes range from 5-10 lbs. Sometimes if I'm lucky I get the 12lbs+ monsters

I dunno if I'm allowed to advertise prices publicly so pm me
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #44
I STILL don't get it

^Can I buy a crab from you but go to a restaurant to have them cook it? Which restaurants?
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
^Can I buy a crab from you but go to a restaurant to have them cook it? Which restaurants?
from my experience, restaurants will only cook the seafood you bring them if you have a good relationship with them, so i guess the answer is YMMV.

if you do have a restaurant, that you frequent, that is willing to cook your own crab, i'd be more than happy to sell them to you.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #46
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I'm assuming the restaurants will probably charge you a lot more extra to match their own pricing so it's probably better off to cook it yourself or just order it from the restaurant?
Plus like bigrig said you will definitely need to be on excellent terms with the specific restaurant if you expect them to cook the food that you bring them. There could be health issues involved as well as they don't know what you have done to your food before you gave it to them to prepare.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #47
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
from my experience, restaurants will only cook the seafood you bring them if you have a good relationship with them, so i guess the answer is YMMV.

if you do have a restaurant, that you frequent, that is willing to cook your own crab, i'd be more than happy to sell them to you.
Hey I Pmed ya about pricing, probably interested in getting a few, thanks.
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #48
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesd View Post
Hey I Pmed ya about pricing, probably interested in getting a few, thanks.
pm'd everyone back now. sorry bout the delay. busy trying to negotiate a purchase of a new car haha

anyways, if anyone didnt get a pm back, lmk and i'll hit em back again.

prices i have pm'd to you guys are valid for the next 2 days only as my price will go up by my next shipment.

thanks guys!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #49
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
I went to Lucky Tao on Alexandra Rd in Richmond.
Service sucked ass, but the crab was cooked perfectly.
We didnt feel scammed either.
14lbs looked like 14lbs.. unlike at other places.

But yeah, service sucked. Lol.
is it that place that serves it in a huge plate filled with garlic? I might go there tonight .. any one have experiences? All i remember was that it was huge but that was a year ago.
dignatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignatas View Post
is it that place that serves it in a huge plate filled with garlic? I might go there tonight .. any one have experiences? All i remember was that it was huge but that was a year ago.
the most common way to have king crab at any chinese restaurant IS steamed legs with garlic.