REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #51
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
the most common way to have king crab at any chinese restaurant IS steamed legs with garlic.
+1

On the other hand, bigrig:
How often have you seen people request the 3rd method, to be
done in a crab congee? As oppose to the usual fried/baked rice/noodles?
Advertisement
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #52
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,945 Times in 585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignatas View Post
is it that place that serves it in a huge plate filled with garlic? I might go there tonight .. any one have experiences? All i remember was that it was huge but that was a year ago.
Yeah you can chose the garlic.
We did garlic, fried, rice.
food was good, service sucked. Mind you, we went on a saturday. Wednesday might be better.
Posted via RS Mobile
RCubed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #53
SDU
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Is sea harbour in richmond any good
Posted via RS Mobile
SDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #54
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDU View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
At the very least, I've had good service at Sea Harbour every time I eat there.

Then again, I held my wedding banquet there the second day after they re-opened in September of 2005...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDU View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
sea harbour is good. however i dunno how their "scamming" system there works. havent been there in years. but i would imagine it wouldnt be too bad, since they do cater to higher paying customers.

and FYI to those who maybe wondering why my price is at my price. yes, T&T and osaka and maybe a few of those smaller grocery stores had a promotion last week for $10.95-$12 per lb. what you should know is that ALL the crab those stores carry, are "rejected" crabs from all of the big king crab suppliers, us included. they are either soft shell, low meat content, missing legs, weak or a combination of all of them, thats why they can and did sell for that cheap. as of today, T&T is selling for $14.88 per lb.
bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #56
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

So all the high quality ones get sent to the restaurant?

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #57
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHP 1 View Post
So all the high quality ones get sent to the restaurant?
not necessarily. it would depend on the restaurant. what im sayin is, for the most part, the king crab you see at T&T, osaka, supermarket 2000, empire etc is all 2nd grade or 3rd grade product.

if you were to ask me which restaurants have the best quality king crab (taste and price aside) i would recommend:

sun sui wah (rmd or van)
kirin (any of them except for coquitlam)
shiang garden
jade
sea harbour
lucky tao
fisherman's terrace
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #58
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
At Kirin try the king crab steamed in rose wine and egg white. They have some 15lb @ the 3rd road place yesterday. It is a King Crab holocaust there last night... You can also get King Crab 4 ways (fried rice + noodles).. they will do anything you want as long as you pay the extras.. Kirin is 16.80 a pound, fried rice is $16 .. etc etc

The guy to talk to @ starlight is Anderson.. There is another guy called Jon, who is a car enthusiasts and owns successions of GTI.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #59
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Home cooked ftw.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #60
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
went to Empire seafood resturant recently, had one of their king crab set menus

for the price (350ish for 10 people) their king crab is not bad, the king crab fried rice was good too
dachinesedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #61
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
At Kirin try the king crab steamed in rose wine and egg white. They have some 15lb @ the 3rd road place yesterday. It is a King Crab holocaust there last night... You can also get King Crab 4 ways (fried rice + noodles).. they will do anything you want as long as you pay the extras.. Kirin is 16.80 a pound, fried rice is $16 .. etc etc

The guy to talk to @ starlight is Anderson.. There is another guy called Jon, who is a car enthusiasts and owns successions of GTI.
i call BS on that one. lol. curious to know if anyone here even knows how big a 12 lbs king crab ACTUALLY is, let alone a 15.

from all my years of unloading and loading king crab, i think ive only come across 4-5 15 lbs crabs. for this restaurant to claim to have a few, is funny as hell
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #62
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i find sun sui wah to rip you off the most...its never the weight they say it is.

And with pricing, most places are about the same. The ones that quote lower usually to have it prepared in 2 ways so you have to add more to get it 3 or 4 ways.
dave123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #63
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave123 View Post
i find sun sui wah to rip you off the most...its never the weight they say it is.
au contraire, mon ami. do you ever go eat there with a full scale? how do you know what the real size is?

you are basing your assumption on what you think might be happening. i base my statements on facts and experience
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #64
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I don't know how you guys can share a 12lb king crab amongst 8-10 people.

It's so good I can eat half of one myself! Take out the fried rice - I am pretty sure I can eat all the legs + body.

True story, I finished a 7lb lobster myself from T&T and two 2lb lobster at a restaurant in LA.

seafood
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #65
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave123 View Post

And with pricing, most places are about the same. The ones that quote lower usually to have it prepared in 2 ways so you have to add more to get it 3 or 4 ways.

and, no. price doesnt necessarily mean one less way of preparing it.

pricing at sun sui wah, kirin, sea harbour, jade, shiang garden differ greatly from those at say lucky tao, fortune garden, continental, imperial court.

and just so YOU know, since you think you know everythin...the lower the price of the king crab, the MORE they will scam you. restaurants that set their selling price higher, cater to customers who can afford more. they dont NEED to set a low price to get ppl into their restaurants and at the same time, dont wanna fuck over any of their existing customers.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #66
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
I don't know how you guys can share a 12lb king crab amongst 8-10 people.

It's so good I can eat half of one myself! Take out the fried rice - I am pretty sure I can eat all the legs + body.

True story, I finished a 7lb lobster myself from T&T and two 2lb lobster at a restaurant in LA.

seafood
same here lol

so whens the RS king crab dinner? im in, if anyone wants to organize it lol. i love me some chinese seafood dinners!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #67
Banned (ABWS)

also for everyones info, crab prices are goin up every week. i have 5000 lbs coming between friday and saturday and will prob sell out by sunday morning, so if anyone wants any, hit me up right away

thanks

jon
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #68
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

After the king crab season... it's going to be giant prawns!

Each sitting, I usually eat about 1.5lbs

bigrig, are you in the prawn business as well?
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #69
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
After the king crab season... it's going to be giant prawns!

Each sitting, I usually eat about 1.5lbs

bigrig, are you in the prawn business as well?
yup. canadian spot prawns start may 7 approx. but i will have us prawns starting april 4th. (same thing)

prawn prices, hard to beat retailers like T&T, since they go direct to fishermen, but im sure i can do like 0.25 cheaper and i can guarantee my product is even more fresh than what they get.

my other main product is live dungeness crab. we have those all year round

Jon
Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #70
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Yeah, my family is in the fisher business too. I get crabs all year long and stuff. But it's the prawns that I die for.

AMAZINGLY fresh, so lively, they hop everywhere.
We just do them as sashimi, shell them, pop them in the freezer for just a couple minutes until their muscles lock up. They taste just BEAUTIFUL.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #71
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Can't wait for spot prawn season! The sashimi sounds good, gotta try it this year!

Omnomnomnomnom
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #72
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Yeah, my family is in the fisher business too. I get crabs all year long and stuff. But it's the prawns that I die for.

As much as I love seafood, I'm scared that if I eat too much of it, I'll become allergic...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #73
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Spot prawns > king crab imo

Nothing beats a sit at home dinner with tons of spot prawns. Yum
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #74
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post

AMAZINGLY fresh, so lively, they hop everywhere.
We just do them as sashimi, shell them, pop them in the freezer for just a couple minutes until their muscles lock up. They taste just BEAUTIFUL.
Would you get food poison by eating it that way?

im scared of food poison, so please edcuate me when it comes to sea food.

Had one of the worst food poison in my life eating raw scallop at one of the sushi place in downtown

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #75
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHP 1 View Post
Would you get food poison by eating it that way?

im scared of food poison, so please edcuate me when it comes to sea food.

Had one of the worst food poison in my life eating raw scallop at one of the sushi place in downtown
yes, you can eat prawns raw. a lot of fishermen, eat em like that right out of the water. pull the heads off and eat. its great!

im going to BOLD and enlarge the following just so you are all aware. VERY important information for ppl who like to eat seafood, especially raw seafood!!!!

you wouldnt get food poisoning from prawns, if the areas that they are fished out of are open (by the DFO - department of fisheries) and the holding tanks on the boats are clean and free of any e-coli or staph bacteria. fishermen and suppliers alike abide by strict provincial, and some, federal rules and guidelines.

food poisoning in bivalve shellfish (animals with 2 shells - ie: oysters, clams, scallops) happen more often than food poisoning in other shellfish such as crabs, lobster, shrimp, prawns etc.

with bivalves, the rules and guidelines are even more strict. (also harder to get a license to process bivalves, than to get a license for fresh/frozen processing of live crabs/prawns/lobsters). In bivalves, there is a risk of PSP(red tide) and sanitary contamination. every step of processing (picking, storing, transport, receiving, storing, distribution) is closely monitored to prevent or lower the risk of food poisoning.

it's important, when buying seafood for consumption in raw state, you buy from FEDERALLY licensed and established companies(if you are buying direct). there are a lot of seafood retailers, distributors who are only PROVINCIALLY licensed and those facilities do not have as many checks and monitoring procedures for their products.
This post thanked by: