REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #76
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

When you eat spot prawns raw, can you eat the head and brains raw too?

I do it at sushi restaurants but kind of scared to buy a pound of prawns at my local seafood store and eat it like that myself. It's like... Drinking the tank water if you eat them raw.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #77
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
When you eat spot prawns raw, can you eat the head and brains raw too?

I do it at sushi restaurants but kind of scared to buy a pound of prawns at my local seafood store and eat it like that myself. It's like... Drinking the tank water if you eat them raw.
Posted via RS Mobile
that i dont know. i would prob advise against it lol

if you are buying sashimi grade frozen prawns, and you thaw them out, you can eat every part of the prawn when it is thawed. if you are buying from a seafood store like T&T or one of those smaller seafood retailers, i would def not try to eat the prawns raw. but if you were to buy from me, or any of the other federally licensed seafood processors, then you should be safe.

we all have our water tested regularly, and have UV systems installed that kill any bacteria present in our tanks.
bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #78
Banned (ABWS)

@bigrig what's your experience with Excelsior Restaurant on No 3 Road?
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #79
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Finally went to get king crab. Went to congee noodle house, haha. Crab was good, but they ripped us off about 3lbs I'm estimating. Basically was I think 13.88/lb, they said 11lb but I'm sure crab was no more than 8lbs. Added $20 for 3 courses. Damn hst made everything over $200, but crab was very good. Will probably go once more but will try a different restaurant.
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #80
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRav View Post
@bigrig what's your experience with Excelsior Restaurant on No 3 Road?
revrav, sorry, never been there. one of the few restaurants i have yet to visit.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #81
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Bigrig: do you sell to consumers? If so, I would like to hit you up during spot prawn season.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #82
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Last Friday we made reservations to try out Lucky Tao, it would be our first time eating there. That place is a zoo, bad first impression; terrible, terrible service. Even though we made reservations, it meant nothing. In the end, we left w/o eating there and I'm not sure I will ever go back; while waiting outside I decided to call Sun Sui Wah (which is across the street and where we usually go) to see if they could fit us in, they could so we went there instead. The Alaskan King Crab we had was great as usually and the service was awesome. Talking to the owner, he said they received one 15lb crab last shipment and he showed me a picture taken with his cell phone.

FWIW, they are selling their King Crab for $16.99lb at Lucky Tao it was $11.99; Sun Sui Wah said the price should be going up soon!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #83
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Bigrig: do you sell to consumers? If so, I would like to hit you up during spot prawn season.
+1

spot prawns ftwww
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #84
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
I can refer you to someone that supplies most of japan and parts of vancity if you're intrested.

My father does a lot of blast freezing and cold storage for most local large seafood processors.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #85
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Talking to the owner, he said they received one 15lb crab last shipment and he showed me a picture taken with his cell phone.
bigrig.... if its not too much trouble with you. It would be nice if you take a picture of a 6lbs AKC, a 10lbs one, and a 15lbs one. So RS members could tell the difference between the different size. It might not be dead exact...but at least we would have a general idea
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #86
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
^
and also RS special on getting prawns from you? how about oysters? would love to get some fresh oysters to eat raw

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #87
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
sonick, yes i sell to ppl. pm me when ur interested. canadian prawn season starts around may 7th, but i will have some US prawns starting tues next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Last Friday we made reservations to try out Lucky Tao, it would be our first time eating there. That place is a zoo, bad first impression; terrible, terrible service. Even though we made reservations, it meant nothing. In the end, we left w/o eating there and I'm not sure I will ever go back; while waiting outside I decided to call Sun Sui Wah (which is across the street and where we usually go) to see if they could fit us in, they could so we went there instead. The Alaskan King Crab we had was great as usually and the service was awesome. Talking to the owner, he said they received one 15lb crab last shipment and he showed me a picture taken with his cell phone.

FWIW, they are selling their King Crab for $16.99lb at Lucky Tao it was $11.99; Sun Sui Wah said the price should be going up soon!
yes, they had one 15 lbs crab and one 13 pound crab. i sold it to them. the vancouver location got a 14 lbs crab from us. and he was correct. the price has started to go up already. and will continue until the end of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
I can refer you to someone that supplies most of japan and parts of vancity if you're intrested.

My father does a lot of blast freezing and cold storage for most local large seafood processors.
what company does ur dad work for? theres not just one company that supplies japan or asia, and it wouldnt be true if he said he supplied MOST of japan. no way that one company can handle that.

and a lot of seafood processors blast freeze themselves. if you said ur dad worked for corpak or versacold, then yes, they store alot of the prawns destined for japan, but he DEFINITELY does not blast freeze and store MOST local large seafood processors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRav View Post
bigrig.... if its not too much trouble with you. It would be nice if you take a picture of a 6lbs AKC, a 10lbs one, and a 15lbs one. So RS members could tell the difference between the different size. It might not be dead exact...but at least we would have a general idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
^
and also RS special on getting prawns from you? how about oysters? would love to get some fresh oysters to eat raw

i will try to take a pic tomorrow afternoon or wed morning when my next shipment comes in, (hopefully we have some of those big ones). my last 3 deliveries, all crab were in the 9-10 lbs range.

i can do an RS special for prawns. but wont know what kind of deal i can give until i know what price is.

the oysters that i can get are only small, med, large sizes. if you're looking for the specially small size oysters, your best bet is lobster man in granville island.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #88
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
I'm in for spot prawns too!
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #89
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
oh damn I'd love to get some info on some spot prawns, can't wait. You got a private email/contact I can get in touch with aside from PM?
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #90
Banned (ABWS)

yup. any of you can email me at cdnps@shaw.ca

thanks

jon
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #91
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

just wondering

how long is the king crab season last for? i mean like when does it end?? coz i want to go but dont have the time yet
terryjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #92
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Hey did anyone else try eating their spot prawns raw it tastes so dam good but not sure if it's safe tho. I eat the body raw most of the time and just fry the heads. Just wondering if anyone else does the same?
Gee.Tee.Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #93
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

food poison should NOT be taken lightly nor ignored

i know because im scared of it now after 2 incidents, my god thought i was gonna die.

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee.Tee.Ar View Post
Hey did anyone else try eating their spot prawns raw it tastes so dam good but not sure if it's safe tho. I eat the body raw most of the time and just fry the heads. Just wondering if anyone else does the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
that i dont know. i would prob advise against it lol

if you are buying sashimi grade frozen prawns, and you thaw them out, you can eat every part of the prawn when it is thawed. if you are buying from a seafood store like T&T or one of those smaller seafood retailers, i would def not try to eat the prawns raw. but if you were to buy from me, or any of the other federally licensed seafood processors, then you should be safe.

we all have our water tested regularly, and have UV systems installed that kill any bacteria present in our tanks.

Posted up above...
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #95
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjai View Post
just wondering

how long is the king crab season last for? i mean like when does it end?? coz i want to go but dont have the time yet
brown king crab season ends when the quota of 600,000 lbs gets caught. usually ends at the end of april or so.

when this king crab fishery ends, i bring in king crab from russia. my company is the ONLY one in canada that has live king crab (brown, red and blue) all year round.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #96
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I never really knew their was different types of king crab.
Would you be able to point me to a good break down of each in terms of culinary differences?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #97
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
I never really knew their was different types of king crab.
Would you be able to point me to a good break down of each in terms of culinary differences?
there are no culinary differences between the 3 types of king crab.

the brown king aka. golden king crab have less meat content than red king crab. (thats why they are a lot cheaper)

red king have harder shells, more meat content and imo, sweeter.

the blue king is caught in deeper waters than both brown and red king. meat content is similar to red king, however their shells are softer.

red and blue king are usually fished and distributed around oct to january.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #98

I know this info might be out there in the internet if I were to search it but hearing from someone in the business is that much more cool. Thanks for sharing the info! nice to know more about the foods we eat
Old 03-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #99
Banned (ABWS)

i have a delivery coming in tonight. all crab will be 9 lbs and up. price is $14.50 a lbs. will sell out fast, so if anyone is interested, email me at cdnps@shaw.ca or pm here asap
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #100
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
i have a delivery coming in tonight. all crab will be 9 lbs and up. price is $14.50 a lbs. will sell out fast, so if anyone is interested, email me at cdnps@shaw.ca or pm here asap
do you provide "cutting up" service? I don't think I have the tools to chop and cut up the crab.
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote