REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #551
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Japan's rice production may not hinder on a global scale, but it will affect it's own rice supply and prices, as most Japanese often buy local.
In fact, they find our rice (US Cal Rose) inferior. Snobbery, perhaps, but I've tasted rice from Japan and it is very nice.

There might even be some sort of ban on importing rice....... I have no proof of this. Just recall hearing something along those lines.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #552
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Japan's rice production may not hinder on a global scale, but it will affect it's own supply and prices on a national level, as most Japanese buy local.
Often? They don't import rice at all.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #553
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
In fact, they find our rice (US Cal Rose) inferior. Snobbery, perhaps, but I've tasted rice from Japan and it is very nice.

There might even be some sort of ban on importing rice....... I have no proof of this. Just recall hearing something along those lines.
Try Tamaki Gold.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #554
G'd up! w000weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
People planning to donate to the redcross because of this earthquake in Japan, don't. Japan has not asked for any aid so far, so any donations to the redcross is not benefiting any Japanese citizens. That's not to say they won't in the future.
I donated $100 through redcross.ca/helpnow
I hope the money does end up in Japan....
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #555
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Try Tamaki Gold.
Tamaki Gold is very good. Possibly the best. My brother in law won't buy anything else. Even though it is produced in Cali, the company is owned by the Japanese and they have won many awards for their rice.

I go to Fujiya often and I cannot bring myself to pay the prices for the good stuff. There's one Japanese brand - cannot remember the name, but it is the only one at Fujiya that is genuine Japanese rice. So fricken expensive.

I'm just a peasant.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #556

Actually what's amazing to me is that "only" hundreds are dead or missing... Think about how densely populated the cities are in Japan, especially considering Tokyo was affected by the quake if not the tsunami. Compare that to the tsunami in 2004 which killed over 200,000 people.. This could have been a lot worse
Old 03-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #557
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Actually what's amazing to me is that "only" hundreds are dead or missing... Think about how densely populated the cities are in Japan, especially considering Tokyo was affected by the quake if not the tsunami. Compare that to the tsunami in 2004 which killed over 200,000 people.. This could have been a lot worse
if it was any where else then Japan I think there would be a whole lot more people that would of died. At least in Japan earth quakes are a normal occurrence in a way and I'm sure everyone was prepared. I would put money on it if the same type a earth quake happened here a whole lot more people would die.

That being said I really hope the nuclear reactor over heating gets solved soon cause it sure doesn't look good right now.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #558
MG1

Quote:
I heard 80, 000 were missing. Then again, all these numbers are just being thrown around by the media. I hope by the end it is a low number.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #559
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Quote:
Apparently, there was no warning system in place for the tsunami in 2004. People were running out onto the beaches looking at the dead fish washing up, etc.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #560
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
That being said I really hope the nuclear reactor over heating gets solved soon cause it sure doesn't look good right now.
You'd think that after the two atomic bombs to end WWII would have made the Japanese a little reluctant to have that many nuclear plants, but I guess the need for electricity was too much.

So the built in failsafe at the power plant, failed to kick in? Guess nothing is failproof. Hopefully it will be contained and they analyze the problem and take measures to avoid it in the future.

EDIT: Just relaized that there is so much "fail" in my post - literally. I think corny may give some relief to an otherwise touchy subject.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #561
I don't get it

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Jap...937/story.html

Not sounding good for that reactor
alwaysideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #562
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
You'd think that after the two atomic bombs to end WWII would have made the Japanese a little reluctant to have that many nuclear plants, but I guess the need for electricity was too much.

So the built in failsafe at the power plant, failed to kick in? Guess nothing is failproof. Hopefully it will be contained and they analyze the problem and take measures to avoid it in the future.
I was actually thinking the same thing. I guess the only good thing about it is that Japan knows how to deal with nuclear fallout. I so so so so so hope it doesn't come close to that tho
Old 03-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #563
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

If a melt down occurs, GUESS WHAT?

Spoiler!
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #564
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysideways View Post
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Jap...937/story.html

Not sounding good for that reactor
Fuck, can it get any worse?

This is so tragic. Long lasting devastation, if it goes wrong.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #565
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar604 View Post

Spoiler!
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #566
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
Apparently, there was no warning system in place for the tsunami in 2004. People were running out onto the beaches looking at the dead fish washing up, etc.
ontop of that look at the money the effected countries had. Japan is a pretty intelligent nation with $$$ to spend on proper infrastructure. Watch how their houses are built its insane, some buildings have built in dampeners that literally suspend the building on a cushion of rubber, so when the ground shakes the building barely sways.

I love how people say vancouver is earthquake safe, it's houses are not.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #567
In RS I Trust

I'm a big fan of the TV Show life after people. This episode it shows what would basically happen to Japan if they don't get it cooled. Scary as fuck I know. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it makes you think either way.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #568
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
A guy I am subscribed to on youtube, he just posts informative videos about Japan. He posted this last year and it shows the extreme measures to protect themselves.

If something like this was not in place then maybe this would be a lot worse (not that we even know truly how bad it is yet).
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC

Last edited by cressydrift; 03-11-2011 at 05:48 PM.
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #569

I'm having major packet loss issues between here and USA, looks like mostly the cogentco.com routers... What's that site that monitors these? I wonder if it's due to the earthquake? I remember there was one a few years ago in Taiwan that knocked out internet for a few days
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #570
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar604 View Post

Spoiler!
You do realize the nuclear plant is at low elevation, not in the upper atmosphere right? Though you could expect some irradiated materials to travel downwind a few miles, you can't expect it to cross the Pacific Ocean.

All the concern in this thread for "nuclear melt down" is unreasonable, I suggest you read about how a nuclear reactor works and what typically occurs when a nuclear plant has any sort of component or process failure.

There is major safety factors built into these facilities, they operate at less than atmospheric pressure (constant vacuum) to prevent any release of irratdiated particulate matter and are typically constructed as a massive vacuum canister which in the event of a potential radiocative release entraps all physical matter inside the reactor core.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Containment_building

Though history would suggest that the plants current situation is an ideal case for reactor failure, any sort of radioactive contamination outside of the reactor is unlikely. Provided all safety devices are in good working order and all isolation procedures are executed as required.

Three Mile Island reactor failure was due to a valve (PORV), which according to the control centre/human interpretation was in the "closed position" when in fact it was open, which allowed the heavy water from the reactor to escape the closed loop. Provided the remotely operated pilot valve was functioning/being operated properly this would have prevented the reactor failure from producing any sort of release of irradiated matter, and as it relates to the current situation in Japan, they would be fully prepared to isolate the reactor if required and prior too any sort of release of irradiated matter regardless of the cause of reactor failure.

The Physical damage to the rest of the country caused by the quake and tsunami are of much greater concern.. the nuclear plants just make for good headlines.

EDIT** Just read the VancouverSun article, it pretty much relfects what I just said, the main issue now is trying to prevent reactor failure strictly to prevent facility damage, lost power production capacity, and lost revenues. The odds of any for of irradiated release outside of the containment building are very very low

Last edited by jasonturbo; 03-11-2011 at 06:17 PM.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #571
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,335 Times in 5,646 Posts
also its great how news keeps going on about how it's the reactors that will "melt down" if they cant get cooling, reactors are shut off instantly in these cases

what needs power to continue the cooling is the depleted uranium rods
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #572
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
also its great how news keeps going on about how it's the reactors that will "melt down" if they cant get cooling, reactors are shut off instantly in these cases

what needs power to continue the cooling is the depleted uranium rods
The "fuel" control rods, are essentially the reactor core.

The rod submersion is what dictates the core temperature, the rods are manipulated to maintain a steady temperature in the closed "irradiated loop" which cycles through a heat exchanger and the second loop which acts as the cooling medium for the heavy water drives a steam turbine to generate electricity. There is also a secondary exchanger for heat to exchange between the second loop and a third raw water feed loop strictly for the sake of maintaining operating service temperature.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #573
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
my knowledge of reactor cores and meltdowns are based on The Simpsons...so bear with me..

So from my understanding, the reactor is shut down but the temp is still at critical levels, are they venting radioactive gas to release some pressure as well? What's reality of a meltdown?
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #574
Need to Seek Professional Help

Ok so I have been surfing on facebook and come across some really stupid comments from one of my friends. Anyone want to troll on him be my guest.

Facebook Name: sbiggz
www.facebook.com/sbiggz (couldnt link)

quotes include:

Quote:
People can hate me all they want but truth is i am not losing sleep over what happened in Japan. They didn't care about our families when they bombed pearl harbor.
Not only are his comments pretty stupid but his friends.

That guy in Cali is definitely going to be up for a Darwin Award. Apparently tried to film as the Tsunami waves came in.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #575
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman View Post
Ok so I have been surfing on facebook and come across some really stupid comments from one of my friends. Anyone want to troll on him be my guest.

Facebook Name: sbiggz

quotes include:

Not only are his comments pretty stupid but his friends.

That guy in Cali is definitely going to be up for a Darwin Award. Apparently tried to film as the Tsunami waves came in.
no point trying to troll an idiot on facebook
Japan has paid it's dues from Pearl Habour.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote