REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #1651
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haymura View Post
rather than starting a new thread, ill post here instead.

ive been hearing a lot of talk that we shouldnt eat the salmon and tuna anymore due to contamination of radiation leaks in Japan. Im honestly confused whether this is a solid fact or false rumours. I love eating AYCE sushi so i want to know if this should be a concern?
Well there's your problem.

AYCE places are terrible but to cut down on cost, they also pretty much exclusively use farmed salmon. It's doubtful that their salmon will come from anywhere other than Canadian locations.

If you're thinking that these farmed salmon have some sort of radiation, I'd be scared to drink our water too.
Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #1652
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:

ive been hearing a lot of talk that we shouldnt eat the salmon and tuna anymore due to contamination of radiation leaks in Japan. Im honestly confused whether this is a solid fact or false rumours. I love eating AYCE sushi so i want to know if this should be a concern?
People who say that are dumb, don't listen to them

I think the biggest environmental impact this disaster will have is due to Japan's reaction. They have shut down all their nuclear plants (indefinitely?) and are now burning fossil fuels exclusively for power. So they have gone from the cleanest, safest power source to the dirtiest possible that we KNOW destroys the environment, and uses up a limited resource.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #1653
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, good call, you better avoid sushi altogether.

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #1654
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
People who say that are dumb, don't listen to them

I think the biggest environmental impact this disaster will have is due to Japan's reaction. They have shut down all their nuclear plants (indefinitely?) and are now burning fossil fuels exclusively for power. So they have gone from the cleanest, safest power source to the dirtiest possible that we KNOW destroys the environment, and uses up a limited resource.
Some extremist environmentalists.... Nuclear power is bad and gives off radiation.... Fossil fuels are bad they pollute a lot! ... hydro dams are bad for the surrounding environment

They should go live in a forest and cut that tree they love so much to cook their food and for heat.

I for one think that nuclear power is pretty much the way of the future, especially for places that can't use hydro power. Unless some new technology comes along that is economically viable, I don't see any cleaner method for power.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #1655
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I think there may be some huge ground breaking power source that comes along. Something that we can't even imagine... this has happened in the past, so why can't it happen again? And if it does, we can finally cut ties from dependance on oil.. certain powerful countries and religions will be fucked, which may lead to the next era of peace..

One can dream

BTW read about cold fusion, it seems to have potential but they are having problems figuring it out
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #1656

fuck moving back next year, and is japan ever fucked natural disaster wise. fuji is expected to erupt by 2015, another huge earthquake is expected in the osaka/kobe area and still the shit on the north east coast.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #1657

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I think there may be some huge ground breaking power source that comes along. Something that we can't even imagine... this has happened in the past, so why can't it happen again? And if it does, we can finally cut ties from dependance on oil.. certain powerful countries and religions will be fucked, which may lead to the next era of peace..

One can dream

BTW read about cold fusion, it seems to have potential but they are having problems figuring it out
Even harnessing a regular fusion reaction for power generation would be a massive leap - fusion generates NO radiation or harmful long-half-life isotopes; in fact, the only reason fusion bombs generate radiation is because they use a small fission reaction to initiate the fusion reaction.

Unfortunately it takes a fuckofalot of energy just to create the fusion reaction (see above), and that's over in an instant... sustaining it is a whole other issue. At this point, controlled fusion uses more energy than it produces.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #1658

Just gonna leave this here...

28 fallacies about the Fukushima nuclear disaster?s effect on the US West Coast | Southern Fried Science
Quote:
This post thanked by: