REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
^ Apparently there was only 15 minutes between the earthquake and the arrival of the tsunami - iirc, officials stated there wasn't enough time to send out a warning.
Tsunami arrived 15 min after the quake, the warning was sent in 3 min.... which left people with 12 min to move..... plus the tsunami was travelling at 800km/h
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #852
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
hydrogen blast @ dallchi reactor??? :O
I know this was posted before but here:

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/20...lear-reactors/

Quote:
At some stage during this venting, the explosion occurred. The explosion took place outside of the third containment (our “last line of defense”), and the reactor building. Remember that the reactor building has no function in keeping the radioactivity contained. It is not entirely clear yet what has happened, but this is the likely scenario: The operators decided to vent the steam from the pressure vessel not directly into the environment, but into the space between the third containment and the reactor building (to give the radioactivity in the steam more time to subside). The problem is that at the high temperatures that the core had reached at this stage, water molecules can “disassociate” into oxygen and hydrogen – an explosive mixture. And it did explode, outside the third containment, damaging the reactor building around. It was that sort of explosion, but inside the pressure vessel (because it was badly designed and not managed properly by the operators) that lead to the explosion of Chernobyl. This was never a risk at Fukushima. The problem of hydrogen-oxygen formation is one of the biggies when you design a power plant (if you are not Soviet, that is), so the reactor is build and operated in a way it cannot happen inside the containment. It happened outside, which was not intended but a possible scenario and OK, because it did not pose a risk for the containment.
A little more assurance from Noriyuki Shikata (Deputy Cabinet Secretary for Public Relations, Director of Global Communications at Prime Minister's Office of Japan):

norishikata Noriyuki SHIKATA
Chief Cabine Secretary Edano says, in spite of the blast at Unit 3, no damage has occurred to the primary containment vessel.
39 minutes ago

The blast at Unit 3 is deemed to be the same kind as occurred to Unit 1 of Fukushima Power Plant I on Saturday, judging from the situation.
34 minutes ago

Regarding the blast at Unit 3, there is little possibility that a large amount of radioactive materials are released to the air - Mr. Edano
31 minutes ago

Last edited by chun; 03-13-2011 at 07:28 PM.
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #853
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,148 Times in 262 Posts
the tsunami was travelling at 800km an hour ?!?
2 n r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #854
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
that's how tsunami's work. in deep open water, they travel in excess of 600km/h and are practically invisible to the eye.

once they reach shallow water, they slow down considerably (one site i read said about 50mph) they turn that forward momentum into vertical momentum, and that's when you get the well known image of a tsunami... the 10m wave in this case i think it was.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #855
Need to Seek Professional Help

If you look at the time that it took for the wave to travel to Hawaii and the coast of North America it makes sense that it was traveling at that speed.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #856
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
that's how tsunami's work. in deep open water, they travel in excess of 600km/h and are practically invisible to the eye.

once they reach shallow water, they slow down considerably (one site i read said about 50mph) they turn that forward momentum into vertical momentum, and that's when you get the well known image of a tsunami... the 10m wave in this case i think it was.
even at 50km to out run that is almost impossible...assuming that it stayed in a forward motion
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #857
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

The main thing I am concerned about now is this problem at the reactor. For every positive reassuring article/interview I see/read there is an equally negative unnerving and downright terrifying one.

I get the impression the Japanese gov't is not being forthright about the risk associated with this situation.

If anyone has any new info please share it here!

Also, does anyone know of a website to see/track current wind patterns? I would like to see the direction this potential radio active material is headed.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #858
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
It breaks my heart to watch the quake footage
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #859
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

one positive thing. i didnt see any people being swept away like the Indonesian tsunami. didn't mean it didn't happen, but still seems like less people got caught in the water so far
Old 03-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #860
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

shit, apparently volcano eruption yesterday as well.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl..._boulders.html

earthquake+tsunami+nuclear meltdown+volcano
Hyper combo
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #861
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Some before and after pictures; use your mouse pointer to go from right to left over the pictures.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/ja...eforeafter.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #862
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
Everytime I see Japanese people around on the bus or in general, some happy, some not. It instantly reminds me of what happened in Japan.
Posted via RS Mobile
604778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #863
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
shit at first i thought that mountain at 40sec was the wave....

on another note, it's crazy how a whole attached building can just float away. Makes you think the foundation for these buildings aren't very deep, you'd expect a building to tear apart in pieces before it'd float away in 1 big piece.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #864
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
The main thing I am concerned about now is this problem at the reactor. For every positive reassuring article/interview I see/read there is an equally negative unnerving and downright terrifying one.

I get the impression the Japanese gov't is not being forthright about the risk associated with this situation.
That was the feeling I got, too. Also, I don't understand why the Japanese government has not been asking for help from the different nations at a time like this. I am not sure if it is a cultural thing or perhaps they do have everything under control.

Reading the tweets make my eyes water. Here's another good one:
[by Ms. Arakawa]

Traffic was hell and It often happened that only one car can proceed forward as a signal light had turned green for each time, but every one was so calm and driving safely and gave way to each other. I'd been driving for like 10 hours and never heard anyone beeped a horn except meaning "thank you".
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #865
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
shit at first i thought that mountain at 40sec was the wave....

on another note, it's crazy how a whole attached building can just float away. Makes you think the foundation for these buildings aren't very deep, you'd expect a building to tear apart in pieces before it'd float away in 1 big piece.
Japan must have a very high ground water. That's the big issue in Richmond you can't dig very deep when pouring the foundation so the same thing would happen here.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #866
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

If anyone has any new info please share it here!

Also, does anyone know of a website to see/track current wind patterns? I would like to see the direction this potential radio active material is headed.

obviously Jap is hiding something and the hazards involved in this situation. That's no doubt about it at all. I think most people have a misunderstanding that the nuclear plant situation is caused by the earthquake and its aftershocks. Albeit it being somewhat true, the other fact that's not mentioned (least I don't think in public news) is that Jap has always been hiding the facts about the alteration of data within the nuclear plant. They have always been manipulating data, and several top management employees have already resigned over the years because of this data.

Also, the lifetime of this plant is suppose to be around 30 years, yet this was built in the 70s, so technically speaking, it's already past its life time but Jap gov is earning quite a bit of money from its resources in the plant, hence it's extending its supposed lifetime, increasing its risk for more problems to occur. This nuclear situation is obviously a cause of such, and not so much the earthquake problem at hand.

There is speculation also that, the Jap in its nuclear plant, is trying to develop its own nuclear weapons, which is prohibited by the world at large... and hence it has denied help from the US to come in to help them cool the plant. If you really think about, it makes sense, because the Jap is trying to solve their own issue, with attempts to fill it with sea water, when the US is much more experienced and can diffuse the situation much more quickly. So, the Jap is just basically trying to hide the fact that they are doing something illegal and behind everyone's backs, at their own Jap ppl's expense (Jap militants' lives).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG111 View Post
get the fuck out if you don't have anything productive to say. troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing666 View Post
No seriously....I think I really enjoy penis. I think about it all the time.
ASG111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #867

^ apparently americans already flew in coolant fluid from their base to the plant in question and it didnt work.
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #868
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
^ apparently americans already flew in coolant fluid from their base to the plant in question and it didnt work.
yep they did that Friday I believe. The Americans don't have anything they can do as well so using the sea water to cool it down is really a last ditch effort.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #869
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Quote:
obviously Jap is hiding something ............it's already past its life time but Jap gov.......... the Jap in its nuclear plant, Jap is trying to solve ...........So, the Jap is just basically...........at their own Jap ppl's expense (Jap militants' lives).
Would you please stop using the word Jap?

It's right up there with Chink and Nigger.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but it is a derrogatory word. Used by Americans during WWII with hate.

Just saiyan..............

I don't see very many people use that word that often on RS or anywhere else, for that matter.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #870
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Would you please stop using the word Jap?

It's right up there with Chink and Nigger.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but it is a derrogatory word. Used by Americans during WWII with hate.

Just saiyan..............

I don't see very many people use that word that often on RS or anywhere else, for that matter.
"JAP" is a term that not many know, thinks its a abbreviated term for Japan or Japanese. I remember in highschool, a lot of people, including some of the teachers would use say "jap12" for the class.

It wasn't until i took PacRim studies that I found out that it was a derogatory term!

speaking of which, I hung out with some of the staff from a local izakaya yesterday, they all feel the pain, but their spirits are wayy up becuz they know the people are very capable of recovery quickly. Then they admitted that its the pride of the people.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #871
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Yes the term "Jap" is NOT the word you should use to abbreviate Japan, or Japanese

It should be abbreviated with JPN.
I remember my first day in my Japanese 9 class, my teacher said... "DO NOT use JAP in this class... EVER! I will instantly deduct 1% from your grade if I ever hear you saying, or see you writing that" and then went on to explain what the term was actually used for way back when.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #872
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts

Hot damn....

Luckily, the people I know who are in Japan are safe.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #873
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
I used to never consider "Jap" to be derogatory
when people say that it is i thought that they were crazy, being too PC for no reason
i thought the majority of people nowadays use Jap as an abbreviation for Japan (i mean look at it... it only makes sense)
so, i looked it up and was surprised to see many consider it derogatory, most importantly japanese-americans/canadians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

I made sure to try and curb my usage too even though, i think, as with most, no ill will is meant by it

As for events in japan today Holy shit that other reactors hydrogen explosion looked like a mushroom cloud almost!

there was new video of the tsunami from an almost straight on view, it was insane! and a bus was trying to escape it, the water literally started hitting the wheels/rear of the bus.. then it goes out of view but i would guess that they were able to get away as it looks like the bus was going uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

Hot damn....

Luckily, the people I know who are in Japan are safe.
omg thats a picture of the video i was talking about

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-13-2011 at 10:39 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #874
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Angry

Quote:
obviously Jap is hiding something and the hazards involved in this situation. That's no doubt about it at all. I think most people have a misunderstanding that the nuclear plant situation is caused by the earthquake and its aftershocks. Albeit it being somewhat true, the other fact that's not mentioned (least I don't think in public news) is that Jap has always been hiding the facts about the alteration of data within the nuclear plant. They have always been manipulating data, and several top management employees have already resigned over the years because of this data.

Also, the lifetime of this plant is suppose to be around 30 years, yet this was built in the 70s, so technically speaking, it's already past its life time but Jap gov is earning quite a bit of money from its resources in the plant, hence it's extending its supposed lifetime, increasing its risk for more problems to occur. This nuclear situation is obviously a cause of such, and not so much the earthquake problem at hand.

There is speculation also that, the Jap in its nuclear plant, is trying to develop its own nuclear weapons, which is prohibited by the world at large... and hence it has denied help from the US to come in to help them cool the plant. If you really think about, it makes sense, because the Jap is trying to solve their own issue, with attempts to fill it with sea water, when the US is much more experienced and can diffuse the situation much more quickly. So, the Jap is just basically trying to hide the fact that they are doing something illegal and behind everyone's backs, at their own Jap ppl's expense (Jap militants' lives).
My Japanese fiance would like to slap you in the face.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #875
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Yes, obviously. What are you on?

goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote