REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #1476
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
If by fine, you mean that 2L water is still sold out everywhere, scheduled blackouts are still ongoing in Tokyo and that the economy is wiped for the next few years, yes, things are fine. I always do appreciate your blanket statements as the expert of all matters though.
No, by fine I meant thousands of people aren't dying and losing their homes. Thanks for trying to twist my statement though, always appreciate when people do that.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #1477
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T2
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 AM   #1478
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
edited for some proper journalism
Quote:
Elevated B.C. radiation levels considered no threat to health
MARK HUME
Vancouver— From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Mar. 29, 2011 12:23AM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Mar. 29, 2011 12:26AM EDT

Increased levels of radioactive iodine have been detected in seaweed and rainwater samples in British Columbia and a scientist from Simon Fraser University says the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor in Japan is clearly the source.

Krzysztof (Kris) Starosta, an associate professor in the department of chemistry at SFU, said levels of the radioisotope iodine-131 have risen, but are not a health concern.
More related to this story

Perry Kendall, British Columbia’s provincial health officer, reinforced that view, saying the levels detected by SFU are “minuscule … very, very tiny,” and are nothing to worry about.

He said the levels are “about one-millionth” the dose that would be of concern.

“We’re looking at very low levels of radiation here,” Dr. Kendall said.

Dr. Starosta agreed the levels are low, but he said they did climb over several days of testing as Japanese nuclear workers struggled to bring the damaged reactor under control.

“As of now, the levels we’re seeing are not harmful to humans,” Dr. Starosta said. “We have not reached levels of elevated risk.”

He said the radiation is being carried across the Pacific to North America by the jet stream, strong wind currents that blow west to east high in the atmosphere. While most of the radioactivity falls out over the ocean, some of it has reached the West Coast where it is being deposited with rain. It is mixing with seawater and accumulating in seaweed.

The rainwater samples containing iodine-131 were taken at SFU’s campus on Burnaby Mountain and in downtown Vancouver. Seaweed samples were collected in North Vancouver near the Seabus terminal.

Samples taken March 16 and March 18 did not show the signature for iodine-131, but it did show up in tests on March, 19, 20 and 25.

The radioactive substance is measured in “decays of iodine-131 per second per litre of rainwater,” which is expressed as becquerels or Bq/l.

On March 18, the level was zero, but on March 19 it was 9 Bq/l and on March 20 it was 12 Bq/l. On March 25 the level was 11 Bq/l.

In Japan, a health warning was issued recently when iodine-131 levels reached 210 Bq/l in drinking water. The Japanese standard for iodine-131 in drinking water is 100 Bq/l if the water is to be consumed by an infant, and 300 Bq/l if the water is to be consumed by an adult.

“The only possible source of iodine-131 in the atmosphere is a release from a nuclear fission,” Dr. Starosta said. “Iodine-131 has a half-life of eight days, thus we conclude the only possible release which could happen is from the Fukushima incident.”

He said iodine-131 will probably continue to show up in B.C. for three to four weeks after the Fukushima nuclear reactor stops releasing radioactivity into the atmosphere.

Iodine-131 has been detected in rainwater at several locations in the United States in the past few days, but far below levels that would raise health concerns.

Dr. Kendall said health authorities will continue to monitor the situation, but it appears the fight to control the damaged reactor in Japan is being won, and even a worst-case scenario wouldn’t threaten Canada.

“My sense is that it’s coming under control. The amounts of radiation that were being emitted last week are probably not going to be measured again, unless something absolutely disastrous happens,” he said. “Health Canada and the [Radiation] Protection Branch … have modelled with the U.S. other scenarios. They modelled one where a couple of the nuclear reactor cores melted down and three of the spent fuel-rod containments melted down – and even then we are at such a distance away, and there is such a volumetric dispersion, that we’re not going to see levels of harm.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1960854/

found a globe and mail article that actually lists the amounts that were detected

Just a little FYI the bq/l detected is higher than most of Japan (if i read this correctly http://www.mext.go.jp/component/engl...03966_0322.pdf )

and in case anyone is ACTUALLY worried, even if you drank like 230+L of rainwater that would only equate to the radiation you would get on a Plane ride from San Francisco to Washington DC (that is, if my math was right following this http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/node/1897)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
my god i couldnt imagine having to deal with something like that

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-29-2011 at 04:19 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #1479

holy shit... watch this video.... id be scared shitless even on the top of the building...

omg this guy doesn't leave... he just keeps recording and ends up surrounded

the youtube user seemed to gather some of the scariest video captures of the tsunami

oh i forgot this one too, it takes out the whole port and turns the huge ships into toys

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-29-2011 at 09:23 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #1480
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...roductid=31886

all proceeds for japan if you interested
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 AM   #1481

So they found radiation in Milk from Spokane, WA

but its only 0.0296 Bq/L (0.8 pCi/L)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/0...72T7OE20110331

So its basically Nothing, but CNN is like OMGWTFBBQ RADIATION IN MILK IN THE USA!!

And a town in Japan, Litate, outside of the evacuation zone was found to have "High Radiation Levels" the IAEA discovered it but did not disclose the Levels of radiation detected; Greenpeace on the other hand says they found levels 50X above normal

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...aea/index.html

Apparently the IAEA recommended that Japan increase the evacuation zone, which Japan rejects according to this presstv report
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/172430.html

the levels detected have met the requirements for an evacuation order supposedly
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 AM   #1482

My connecting flight from Beijing to Tokyo got canceled - they reduced the flights from 5 per day to 1 per day... so they rebooked us on a flight the next day, so we'd have to spend overnight at the airport in beijing

Shows you how drastically the travel has dropped! And this is at the end of April!

I booked another airline instead... Hopefully the flight will be empty so we can get bumped up to business or first class or at the very least, more... space... well if you've traveled in mainland china you know what I mean
Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #1483

ah that sucks

and Im surprised there's even 1 flight a day out of China to Japan

edit: mobettah you're a retard if you don't know about how Chinese ppl get freaked out over things like this (hell just look at the salt issue)
'things' being the, presumed risk of illness
so naturally im surprised there's enough traffic to even support 1 flight a day (jesus just look at all the canceled flights that should tell you right there)

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-31-2011 at 08:11 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #1484
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

why would you be GOING to tokyo right now?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #1485

1) I'm not going to Tokyo right now, I am going in the end of April/early May
2) There's not much reason not to. Based on reports from people there, life is pretty much normal. I would be sleeping through any blackouts that might occur (and by then they will most likely be over) and the hysteria over bottled water should be over by then too. The only issue most people have is the crazy amount of aftershocks that is happening right now.
3) Most of my trip will be taking place in Kyoto and Yokohama anyway, so...
4) Besides donating, Japan's crippled tourism industry definitely needs help so why not!
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #1486
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
2) There's not much reason not to. Based on reports from people there, life is pretty much normal. I would be sleeping through any blackouts that might occur (and by then they will most likely be over) and the hysteria over bottled water should be over by then too. The only issue most people have is the crazy amount of aftershocks that is happening right now.
4) Besides donating, Japan's crippled tourism industry definitely needs help so why not!
I wouldn't mind going if there are cheap flights and hotels =D
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #1487
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
No2 is spot on to what life is like in Tokyo area. In most cases, ppl have their chins up and tough it out to move on. Because they power japan, the people won't let japan down
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #1488
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
ah that sucks

and Im surprised there's even 1 flight a day out of China to Japan

edit: mobettah you're a retard if you don't know about how Chinese ppl get freaked out over things like this (hell just look at the salt issue)
'things' being the, presumed risk of illness
so naturally im surprised there's enough traffic to even support 1 flight a day (jesus just look at all the canceled flights that should tell you right there)
China + Japan = ~1.6 Billion People
China Is Japan's largest trading partner, ~3/4 Trillion dollars flow between them every year.

Yes, let us use sweeping generalizations to classify the Chinese people and their ignorance to come to the conclusion that there would not be a single flight from China to Japan.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #1489

5 a day down to 1 a day is no surprise to you and you claim "sweeping generalizations"

but less than 1 a day (1 every other day or so) spawns an OMGWTFBBQ YOU SO CRAZY reaction

This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #1490
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Chinese ppl get freaked out over things like this (hell just look at the salt issue)
Quote:
5 a day down to 1 a day is no surprise to you and you claim "sweeping generalizations"
Nah son, not talking bout the 5 to 1. That was you. You read what you write? or just spam mental diarrhea?
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #1491
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Watch pbs nova japans killer quake.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #1492
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Actually, I never really thought of flying to japan. But now that you guys mentioned it, I wonder if there are cheap tourist packages now.

I do feel guilty even for bringing it up though. It's like me taking advantage of somebody while they are down
Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #1493
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Actually, I never really thought of flying to japan. But now that you guys mentioned it, I wonder if there are cheap tourist packages now.

I do feel guilty even for bringing it up though. It's like me taking advantage of somebody while they are down
I would disagree, you're putting money into their market. You would be helping if anything.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #1494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post

Based on my trip planning, prices haven't been affected much at all.

Out of all the shit Japan is going through, their tourism industry is probably hurt the most. And that's a HUGE industry for them. Freaking out and running away from Japan is the last thing they need right now.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #1495
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

oh i forgot this one too, it takes out the whole port and turns the huge ships into toys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XymSWM_XdMI
sounded like Godzilla at 6:45
Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #1496
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I'm contemplating going to japan after my summer semester but if their PM is claiming the biggest disaster since world war 2, I don't know how I feel about going somewhere that is rebuilding. Even if it is just tokyo.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #1497

Tokyo is not rebuilding per se, the area a few hundred KMs north of Tokyo is. There are a few things broken in Tokyo (the tower is not lighting up yet, and I believe disneyland is closed)

By all means go. Japan needs tourism as much as anything right now.

And remember, Japan is not just Tokyo. There is plenty to see outside that one city. Go to the mountains and see some hot springs or something
Old 03-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #1498
SardaukarMod

not sure if we already talked about this here or in another thread but apparently the whole triangle of life doesn't really apply to us. only if you live in a shitty building that probably will collapse.

Quote:

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBettah View Post
Nah son, not talking bout the 5 to 1. That was you. You read what you write? or just spam mental diarrhea?
I was hinting @ how you can even accuse 'blanket generalizations' when 80% of the flights have been cut that's not stereotyping especially when you consider the next

FYI, i'll try to write this so that even you can understand

I'll admit I made a mistake of being surprised that there was even 1 flight a day to Japan
Because I didn't account for Japanese travelers, mainly Business travelers

Airlines in Asia are still maintaining travel to Japan but they're either only sending 1 flight or sending smaller planes because no1s going
however "90%" of the travelers they still have are Japanese Businessmen traveling throughout Asia/Europe

sooo... considering that that makes that "blanket generalization" even more of an educated analysis

Quote:
“Flights are almost full in both directions,” she said, with 90 percent of passengers being Japanese businesspeople
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...crisis-2-.html

edit:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...064660564.html
and look hotels like the Shangri-La have closed their doors until at the very least the end of April and other hotels that were running @ 80% occupancy before the quake says occupancy is down to 10-15% and as it sounds by airlines and japanese officials they're only seeing Business travelers really because "they have to" be there

now asians being the most cautious/superstitious etc (irrefutable) it shouldn't be far fetched to you to imagine that there would be days with no flights

Last edited by StylinRed; 04-01-2011 at 09:13 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #1500

Radioactive Beef exceeding Legal Limits outside the evacuation zone was found

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...oil-water.html

it didn't indicate how much but this NewsCore report linked on a fox website (so that's a warning)

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpps/new...10331_12573437

says 510 Bq of Cesium

ah AFP article in the Herald Sun gets the details

Quote:
The health ministry said 510 becquerels of radioactive cesium had been detected in beef from Tenei in Fukushima prefecture, about 70km from the plant - exceeding the 500-becquerel limit, Kyodo News said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1226031719344

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-31-2011 at 10:50 PM.