REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #751
SFICC-05*

martyn_williams Martyn Williams
70% chance of Magnitude 7-class quake in next three days, 50% chance for three days after that - Japan Met Agency
13 minutes ago
Advertisement
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #752
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
Hey Chun since you are there can you tell us what the Gov't is saying about the nuclear reactors' situation?

Coz the TV news here says the reactor has already been leaking radioactive substance into the air and this is what we are looking at:

So the big question is whether they have officially confirmed or rejected the possibility of an ongoing meltdown at this point?
Excuse me, could you stop being such a cunt? DO THE RESEARCH. Stop posting up things from shady sources and causing unnecessary panic.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #753
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
so I shouldn't believe in what CTV says? A meltdown is occurring though it's just how fast can it cool down from there...

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #754
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Nay, most of the train lines are still down. A few of the metro lines resumed service on the night of the earthquake.

Life in Tokyo has continued on basically, other than the aftershocks and constant news. A lot of people are staying in their apartments and just drinking and waiting it out. However, people are constantly thinking about the people up north who are still stuck under wreckage.
Where are you getting your info? Most of the lines are not down in Greater Tokyo anymore.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #755
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Where are you getting your info? Most of the lines are not down in Greater Tokyo anymore.
Hey, thanks for the correction.

I was mainly looking at the JR website and a lot of the Kanto region lines are still suspended. I didn't realize the other lines are running now.

Just for clarification, Yamanote is running now?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #756
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Considering the country moved 8 inches, you'd think they would spend a few days making sure the tracks are 100% intact, especially the shinkansen!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #757
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I was just watching this video. Look at the 2min mark on the right hand side you can see something flying through the water that is not part of the tsunami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqPdLK8G32A
that's a water droplet going by on the outside casing of the camera as the chopper is flying.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #758

that "rad" map is fake and it was posted like 4x before as well.
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #759
SFICC-05*

Quote:
so I shouldn't believe in what CTV says? A meltdown is occurring though it's just how fast can it cool down from there...
Considering that your source was some wordpress blog and that the only other place I could find that ''radiation map'' was on this site (http://theweatherspace.com/tws.html)... you should probably facepalm yourself.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #760
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Hey, thanks for the correction.

I was mainly looking at the JR website and a lot of the Kanto region lines are still suspended. I didn't realize the other lines are running now.

Just for clarification, Yamanote is running now?
No prob. Yep; Yamanote is running.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #761
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
that "rad" map is fake and it was posted like 4x before as well.
great way to keep folks scared and in check

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #762
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/12_54.html

They have increased the evacuation area around the reactor to 20km radius, an approximate of 210,000 people are told to gtfo from the area. Around 80 people are still within the original 10km evacuation radius. 13 people are in hospital, suffering injuries from the hydrogen explosion at 5AM local time.

The nuclear emergency level has exceeded level 4. The Chernobyl incident was rated at level 7. Currently experts are in to evaluate the radiation leakage level in the air surrounding the area. Citizens are advised to dress to cover as much skin as possible as partial meltdown has already been officially confirmed. The system is currently getting pumped with sea water while a electric supply car is trying to supply electricity to run the original coolant pumps on site. The diesel backup pumps were destroyed when the tsunami hit the power plant an hour after the quake.

That's what I saw on the NHK live stream in the last 5 minutes.

Oh, and they found bird influenza in a chicken farm....Another problem for their food supply is in the works.

I can read and listen to and understand exactly what they are saying on TV over there. Of course there's no official map of how or even if there's going to be a widespread problem of radiation across the Pacific but you are an idiot to try to play down the situation. There's still too much the Japanese Govn't would rather not say at this time to trust everything they have to say about the meltdown right now. I throw a map on there coz that's just the only thing you can visually see why I'm worried, I'm not vouching for its correctness or anything but if it does leak out it is probably going that way, geographically speaking.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi

Last edited by hk20000; 03-12-2011 at 08:12 PM.
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #763

^ 20km was increased last night, hydrogen explosion was long ago unless there was a second. radiation level that leaked is below mortality rate still.

www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-gtv

if you want trust worthy info from someone who is translating directly from japanese news. a lot of the stuff cnn has put out hasn't been very accurate and too many people are quoting it.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #764
SFICC-05*

Quote:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/12_54.html

They have increased the evacuation area around the reactor to 20km radius, an approximate of 210,000 people are told to gtfo from the area. Around 80 people are still within the original 10km evacuation radius. 13 people are in hospital, suffering injuries from the hydrogen explosion at 5AM local time.

The nuclear emergency level has exceeded level 4. The Chernobyl incident was rated at level 7. Currently experts are in to evaluate the radiation leakage level in the air surrounding the area. Citizens are advised to dress to cover as much skin as possible.

That's what I saw on the NHK live stream in the last 5 minutes.

Oh, and they found bird influenza in a chicken farm....Another problem for their food supply in the works.
Firstly, thanks for ignoring the fact that your previous map was completely a sham. Secondly, you're going on again about some ''facts'' you found and trying to scare people again. The evacuation radius was expanded, however, its still not considered a complete evacuation for a ''normal incident''.

Also, regarding the nuclear emergency level raised to level 4, a quick google search finds this:

Quote:
A level 4 on the International Nuclear and Radiologocal Event Scale includes damage to fuel and release of significant quantities of radioactive material within an installation.

It's the same level as a criticality accident at a nuclear fuel processing plant in Tokai Village in Ibaraki Prefecture, south of Fukushima, in 1999.
Oh, so something happened 10 years ago in 1999, in Ibaraki, a lot closer to Tokyo? What happened? A quick google search finds this:

Quote:
Impacts

The chain reaction caused heavy releases of gamma and neutron radiation. Three workers were exposed to doses of up to 17 Sv (Sieverts), causing severe radiation sickness. The worker exposed to the highest dose died on December 21, 1999. The worker exposed to the second highest dose of 6 - 10 Sv died on April 27, 2000. 68 other persons were irradiated at lower levels. Among them were the workers who stopped the chain reaction: they were exposed to doses of up to 119.79 mSv, exceeding the 100 mSv limit for emergency situations. The annual dose limit for workers is 50 mSv (while ICRP currently recommends 20 mSv). As of October 7, 1999, radiation levels remained high inside the plant building, preventing inspection of the damage inside the plant.

First reports that an explosion had blown a hole into the roof of the facility have not been confirmed (see STA Oct 7, 1999).

On November 4, 1999, the Science and Technology Agency submitted a report to the Nuclear Safety Commission, containing estimates of radiation exposures during the criticality accident, based on an analysis of uranium solution sampled from a tank inside the fuel processing plant and neutron levels monitored around the plant. The report says that

the radiation dose received at a distance of 80 meters from the accident site (that is the nearest boundary of the plant) was estimated at 75 mSv* for the first 25 minutes of the criticality accident, and 160 mSv for the whole criticality period of 20 hours;
the radiation dose received at a distance of 350 meters from the plant (that was the evacuation boundary), was estimated at almost equal to the annual permissible dose of 1 mSv for the first 25 minutes, and 2 mSv for the whole event.
* this figure was revised to 30 mSv, according to Yomiuri Shimbun of Dec. 12, 1999. Details are not known yet.

Since the evacuation started only 5 hours after the begin of the criticality, residents may have received doses of more than 75 mSv, that is 75 times the permissible annual dose of 1 mSv.

The government has so far said 69 people were exposed to radiation, but the latest survey says the number of affected people could increase.

On January 31, 2000, the Science and Technology Agency reported that the JCO Co. nuclear accident exposed 119 people to levels of radiation that were higher than the maximum dose of one millisievert, considered safe for an ordinary person to be exposed to in a period of one year. The agency checked radiation doses received by 207 people living within a radius of 350 meters from the accident site, 148 JCO employees who were on its premises at the time of the accident, 60 firefighters and government officials who attended the scene, and 24 JCO technicians who entered the plant in an attempt to halt the self-sustaining nuclear reaction of a uranium solution. Among local residents, the highest radiation dose recorded was 21 millisieverts. The recipient lived right next to the plant and took a long time to evacuate, the agency said. (Yomiuri Feb. 1, 2000)

The estimate of the total number of persons exposed to radiation from the accident was raised to 439. Of those affected, 207 were local people who lived and worked within a 350 m radius of the plant. (Reuters Jan 31, 2000)
With a full evac, the total number of affected people was 439, with 207 of them people who lived and worked within a 350m radius... FOR 10 YEARS. What makes you think you have the right to make people in Vancouver panic considering this fact? Also notice how it uses sieverts as units, not RADS.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #765
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly View Post
Can't believe this is getting retweeted insanely on Twitter "USA lost many lives on 9.11.01 and now Japan has lost more lives on 3.10.11. Add the 2 dates together and you will get 12.21.12."......problem with this is that the earthquake happened on 3.11.11 locally....
It was also Chuck Norris' birthday. FOX 'News' and the conspiracy theorists will inevitably link the earthquakes to his birthday celebrations getting out of hand....
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #766
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Haha, I haven't been keeping up with all this radiation stuff right now, but it's amazing how people buy into the things the media says without doing any research for themselves, ready to shelve out hundreds of dollars in potential "radiation prevention" meds...

I work at a pharmacy, and the amount of calls and people coming in asking for KI (potassium iodide) because they are worried of potential radiation travelling over here is ridiculous... Some even willing to pay hundreds of dollars for emergency orders etc.. Sigh.. hopefully the majority are smart enough to do their own research first..
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #767

retards, for it to be able to travel over here it has to get in the jet stream which occurs in high altitude. so basically radiation would have to travel high enough to get into that jet stream. even then if local winds coming off coast cant scare all of japan to evacuate i don't feel there is a huge threat with it getting over here although there is a great difference in wind speeds from lower and higher altitudes
edit: japan to have rolling black outs

Last edited by dbaz; 03-12-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #768
I STILL don't get it

So some person my facebook who goes to UBC posted on their status

"since the earthquake was so huge, how come that w/e earthquake detector gram thing didn't pick it up? and it takes time for the tsunami to hit right? how come the ppl didn't see it and evacuate?"

I only had highschool with this person and I really want to leave a comment on it. Especially when this person goes to UBC. Like seriously? You go to UBC do you have no common sense?

Another status on the day of the earthquake
"japan....no wonder my episode 2 isn't out yet T_T"
domco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #769
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domco View Post

"since the earthquake was so huge, how come that w/e earthquake detector gram thing didn't pick it up? and it takes time for the tsunami to hit right? how come the ppl didn't see it and evacuate?"

I only had highschool with this person and I really want to leave a comment on it. Especially when this person goes to UBC. Like seriously? You go to UBC do you have no common sense?

Just because they go to UBC doesn't mean they have common sense, or what should be common knowledge for that matter.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #770

second power plant having a increase in seivert. onigawa plant @ 21 sievarts earlier but dropped. due to law they have to report any increase in seiverts. warning advisory startrs at 500 seivarts. plant is shut down and cooled down already though.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #771
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
GOOD FUCKING GOD,

The term "rads" hasn't been used for decades, if this map was factual it would at least use the current "grays" to describe contamination levels.

There is no confirmed source of this contamination map, it was more than likely made by some asshole who was alive during the second world war or someone who has played a little too much Fallout 3.
i posted that map like paaages back

it originates from 4chan; it's not legit at all, started off as a joke but led to ppl thinking its real

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Considering the country moved 8 inches, you'd think they would spend a few days making sure the tracks are 100% intact, especially the shinkansen!
USGS is saying 8Ft now

Quote:
(AFP) – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Japan's recent massive earthquake, one of the largest ever recorded, appears to have moved the island by about eight feet (2.4 meters), the US Geological Survey said.

"That's a reasonable number," USGS seismologist Paul Earle told AFP. "Eight feet, that's certainly going to be in the ballpark."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...455b5b59ec.191

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-12-2011 at 09:19 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #772
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domco View Post

but it's true that many think that a seismograph is used for early detection
Old 03-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #773
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
What's this map people are talking about? Lemme see!
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #774
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
man.... i got family living in the northern coastal region of japan.... i just hope they're ok... my families unable to get in contact with them.... sad shit... all we can do is pray they're hangin in there
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #775
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...pt=T1&iref=BN1

2 potential meltdowns?

wut.
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote