REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #901
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

BBC Broadcasts:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #902
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
looking at those scenes, it looks like the aftermath of a warzone, crazy

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #903
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Scary as hell:

Just read this translation of a blog entry...I guess the Japanese do have black humour after all.
"Mitaka station has some trains running but all the shops there are closed including the bakery and... Starbucks! So this is really a national emergency now. However Mr Donuts had all their donut varieties in stock. The video store was open. So was the bank and there was no queue for the cash machines. Some restaurants were closed, others open. The bike shop was open so I got my bike tyres pumped to the max for a quick getaway. (Prime Minister Kan was right, this IS just like the Second World War. The French are evacuating. Brits and Americans have been advised to stay put.) Back at home, the rubbish was collected and the postman delivered yet another academic journal.."
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.

Last edited by Senna4ever; 03-14-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #904
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I don't think it's even that but Japan is 1st world country with 1st world resources, 1st world technology and 1st World education.

I don't mean to belittle 3rd world countries but it's not like helping a 3rd World Country in a crisis who don't have the same level of human & technological resources and aptitude.

At least that's what I make of it (with respect to resolving the power plant issue).
Yeah, that's definitely part of it. Personally I think bringing in a bunch of outsiders would likely just complicate and hamper the efforts.

I have faith the people working on it now are acting in the best interests of the country and they are as capable as anyone. I just wish there was a little more transparency with the details and not so much big brother bullsh!t.

I would happily take my gf on an extended holiday somewhere away from the looming vasectomy cloud assuming there was a serious threat of exposure where I am. I have a feeling that will not become public info until it is too late.

Just like the Sumatra Tsunami, this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I predict 50,000 people will be dead when this is all said and done. I sincerely hope I am wrong. Sincerely.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #905
Banned (ABWS)

Last edited by orange7; 03-14-2011 at 01:51 AM.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #906
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
dear fucking god please stop posting.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #907
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

this guy was found 15km out to sea on his roof

http://www.smh.com.au/world/man-foun...ml?from=smh_sb
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #908
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
this guy was found 15km out to sea on his roof

http://www.smh.com.au/world/man-foun...ml?from=smh_sb

wow..... wow

must have been horrible seeing ships/choppers pass by and not being noticed
and to have his wife swept away ugh...

Food is becoming scarce in Tokyo now too as fears/uncertainty grows

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72D1PX20110314

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-14-2011 at 02:37 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #909
SFICC-05*

Quick update:

The general mood in Tokyo is pretty solemn. I went around to a lot of places today and that's just what I felt from everyones faces, etc. Walking around the stations, people would crowd around the monitors every time the earthquake alarm sounded. There was another shaker in Nagoya today so everyone was a little bit nervous.

It was probably mentioned before but the news announced that there is a 70% chance for a M7+ in the next two days (from yesterday on), and a 50% of the same situation in the three days after that. Add that up with the whole nuclear reactor situation and you can imagine that a lot of people are starting to panic.

A few of my roommates have shared some stories about their coworkers all fleeing west towards Osaka, at least for a little peace of mind. Another roommate actually flew down to Fukuoka today to avoid the madness.

A coworker called a few ward offices in the city to ask if there were any shelters or these kinds of things in the case of a severe nuclear situation and all she got were no's. Needless to say, I'm sure that the reactors will be alright after reading some of the experts' opinions rather than the news, BUT being only 250 kms away from it all does invoke a tad bit of anxiety.
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #910
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
I'm sure this was posted before but I haven't seen it yet.

Looks so innocent at first then gradually gets higher and and crazier. The guy started recorded on the floor and kept backing up higher and higher on the staircase.

http://ca.gizmodo.com/5781566/this-i...an-tsunami-yet

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #911
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
third plant is having cooling problems now?
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #912
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
I have faith the people working on it now are acting in the best interests of the country and they are as capable as anyone. I just wish there was a little more transparency with the details and not so much big brother bullsh!t.
And how do you know there's not? You have inside info on what's REALLY going on there? Little psychic power at work maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #913
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And how do you know there's not? You have inside info on what's REALLY going on there? Little psychic power at work maybe?
He said he has FAITH in it... as in believing in the good will of others
Old 03-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #914
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

wow..... wow

must have been horrible seeing ships/choppers pass by and not being noticed
and to have his wife swept away ugh...

Food is becoming scarce in Tokyo now too as fears/uncertainty grows

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72D1PX20110314
I think I'd rather just die if I was him. Lost his wife, his home, everything........

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #915

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
He said he has FAITH in it... as in believing in the good will of others
I was referring to this part:

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #916
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I think I'd rather just die if I was him. Lost his wife, his home, everything........

^^ yeah they said he was acting normally/relieved until someone gave him a bottle of water to drink then he just broke down sobbing.. so sad

Okay so i was just reading around and found out that the #3 reactor in Fukushima (that had the larger explosion) uses MOX fueling (reprocessed plutonium + uranium)

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100823a7.html
http://www.oyetimes.com/news/asia/10...tor-3-explodes

Anyway this "truth" seeker has a blog and she writes about the dangers etc as she believes them to be

I know i know you guys are gonna say "troll / psycho" and maybe but she actually cites everything with what seems like credible sources, so far

anyway if anyone wants an interesting read (i only just started and am looking through the references) she thinks a mox meltdown will have the potential to be 2million times worse oO

http://sherriequestioningall.blogspo...-uses-mox.html

interesting read when its 8:30 and you havent fallen asleep yet that is

edit: so im reading the comments ppl left on her blog and they seem to discount her concerns :shrug: either way pretty scary situation

wt.. i thought we had a shoulder shrugging emote ;/

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-14-2011 at 07:32 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #917
Need to Seek Professional Help

Crazy.... cars piled up in a heap, including this Type-R

Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #918
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I was referring to this part:
The fact that regular Japanese citizens have no idea about whats going on with the plant is enough of an indicator for me that the government isn't being forthright with the information they have. No one knows whats going on there.

I completely understand why they are keeping tight lipped, but I don't agree with it. Same thing happened in Chernobyl. The explosions at the plant are hard to hide, otherwise we would probably know a lot less.

If you watch the CBC video featuring the interview with a Nuclear expert, he basically said the govt. is playing with words to downplay the severity of the radiation. Just because the current levels wont make your hair fall out and kill you in a couple of weeks, doesn't mean there isn't a serious problem.

Also, the US soldiers who had radiation all over their clothes and vehicles after being a significant distance away from the actual Nuclear site, and numerous embassies issuing warnings for non-essential personnel to return home. Politicians being whisked out of Japan on private airplanes. Do I need to go on?

People are telling me to eat seaweed and iodine pills. Call it a hunch, but I really think there is a lack of disclosure.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #919
SFICC-05*

Quote:
The fact that regular Japanese citizens have no idea about whats going on with the plant is enough of an indicator for me that the government isn't being forthright with the information they have. No one knows whats going on there.

I completely understand why they are keeping tight lipped, but I don't agree with it. Same thing happened in Chernobyl. The explosions at the plant are hard to hide, otherwise we would probably know a lot less.

If you watch the CBC video featuring the interview with a Nuclear expert, he basically said the govt. is playing with words to downplay the severity of the radiation. Just because the current levels wont make your hair fall out and kill you in a couple of weeks, doesn't mean there isn't a serious problem.

Also, the US soldiers who had radiation all over their clothes and vehicles after being a significant distance away from the actual Nuclear site, and numerous embassies issuing warnings for non-essential personnel to return home. Politicians being whisked out of Japan on private airplanes. Do I need to go on?

People are telling me to eat seaweed and iodine pills. Call it a hunch, but I really think there is a lack of disclosure.
Btw, where are you at and what's your take on it?

I'm really considering taking a morning bus tomorrow to Osaka to stay a few days.

Last edited by chun; 03-14-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #920

You also assume that the gov't and the officials and workers around the plant, actually KNOW everything. They're human, too, remember - they're not clairvoyant, they can't turn on their x-ray vision and see where the radiation is, and they can only guess (educated guesses, granted) at most of what's actually happening inside the reactors.

"Politicians being whisked out of Japan on private airplanes." - which means what? That your average politician is a pansy that specializes in covering his own ass?

Keep in mind that these people have to walk a thin line between keeping the public safe, and not inciting undue panic, which could lead to even more dangerous situations. People in Japan have to focus on BASIC SURVIVAL - regaling them all with horror stories of every worst-case scenario won't help anything. Telling everyone within 200 miles that they have to get the fuck out won't do any good if they CAN'T - remember, infrastructure is a mess, most peoples' cars in the area have been destroyed by the same tsunami that damaged the plant, there's little or no fuel available for the cars that are still drivable, and there's not a lot of places for them to drive ON.

Don't forget, BTW, that most of what you're seeing is not only being vetted by the government, but by the media it passes through. Try watching some news reports from some very different sources - compare coverage by CNN, BBC, and just for fun, Al Jazeera. Take a look at how similar they AREN'T.

It's easy to sit over here on the other side of the world and criticize how they're handling things, based on edited/sensationalized/biased media reports. Try actually thinking about what these people have to deal with - not just the public, but those charged with keeping them safe, and realize that "keeping them safe" sometime means you CAN'T tell them everything you know.
Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #921
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
IMHO if you want to discuss nuclear disaster conspiracy theories and fear mongering, you should start a new thread for it. We need more posts like the rescue story and the twitter translations, and less silliness and freakouts.

If you are still scared, I will post this link one more time. It explains exactly how nuclear power plants work, how they are built, what kind of safety measures they use, and what exactly is going on in Japan. It refers to Reactor 1, and people are saying #3 is failing. Well the problems/issues/solutions will be exactly the same, so again, nothing to worry about if things keep going the way they are going.

Also to keep updated on real news, check this link. It doesn't work for me, but a lot of sites don't load for me these days...

I will just say one more thing on the topic: Everything you read about nuclear disasters and core meltdowns are only there to scare you. There doesn't have to be any reality behind it. Don't fall for it. Read legit information (it's out there) and decide for yourself how to feel. Don't let the media manipulate you. Turn off the TV and stop reading CNN if you have to.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #922
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
seriously can someone plz ban all the people who troll in this tread, some of the stuff said is downright ridiculus, even by RS standards
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #923
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
I'm watching TVJapan (Mostly NHK stuff), which is free right now. Good info. Uptodate. Even if you don't understand Japanese, you can sort of understand. Channel 514. They're explaining what's inside a nuclear facility right now.

Last night, new footage of the disaster emerged from people who survived the quake and tsunami. There were also interviews with survivors. The news anchor and another woman reporting from one of the worst hit areas were so close to breaking down after the segment aired. I stopped watching. It was all too much. One elderly woman said she hung on for dear life and was lucky to have survived, but was wondering if death would have been easier. Her village was completely wiped out. Nothing left of it.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 03-14-2011 at 08:25 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #924
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
seriously can someone plz ban all the people who troll in this tread, some of the stuff said is downright ridiculus, even by RS standards
I tend to agree, but in a way, it brings out the real thoughts of these people. It tells us who they really are. Some of these people are very young and have not witnessed tragedy in their lives.

I see RS as a good place for people to learn and share stuff. I've certainly learned a lot about all kinds of things. Perhaps these younger people can learn about respect and proper behaviour, when it's OK to say stuff, etc. ........... 'cause they ain't getting it from their parents, that's for sure.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 03-14-2011 at 08:34 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #925

A bit of a long read, but worth it, as it explains (among other things) why Fukushima is NOT like Chernobyl: http://theenergycollective.com/barry...te-explanation

Written by nuclear physicists, BTW... not bloggers who google random information off the net and put it together in some semi-coherent way to support their own warped view of the world.
Quote:
This post thanked by: