REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #1451
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

horrry shiet

i have respect for that weatherman.

how on earth did he manage not to blow up on national television and just tell her to go fuck herself? i sure couldn't have.
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #1452
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
watch.thecomedynetwork.ca

Go there and watch jon stewart.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #1453
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
March 17th

March 23rd

http://ca.jalopnik.com/5785281/japan...-just-six-days
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #1454
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
^fuck man props to japan. takes us fucking months just to fix a road in vancity..

on the other hand i found this on a blog..

Quote:

There was only supposed to be 50 Elite Fukushima Workers going back in the Nuclear plants, doing a suicide mission to save their country…

But then, 130 more Nuclear Plant workers decided to join them.

Now that, is BOLD.

They know they’re either going to die, or make it out alive with Thyroid Cancer, and yet, they still did it.

I will forever respect these anonymous workers, may their families be proud.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #1455
My homepage has been set to RS

^^^^

This is why the Japanese culture is adored around the world, it is because they can actually put others ahead of themselves. The frequency of such altruistic act can only be found in Japan. If there is a God, I hope these real life hero can make it out alive and healthy. It is not easy to wake up in the morning and tell your son, daughter, and wife/husband that you are going on a suicide mission.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #1456
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
Not to take anything away from those guys, but if they follow safety procedures they are perfectly safe working at the plant. It's not a 50/50 chance of dying or getting cancer, that is fucking absurd. It's probably more like 0.0000000001% chance of getting cancer or dying.

So once again, everything gets blown out of proportion, whether it's a good story or a bad one.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #1457
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I was having a lecture on Nuclear Power plants today, I came across this type of Nuclear Reactor which has lower risk of nuclear meltdown.

http://www.nucleartourist.com/type/candu.htm
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #1458
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
I was having a lecture on Nuclear Power plants today, I came across this type of Nuclear Reactor which has lower risk of nuclear meltdown.

http://www.nucleartourist.com/type/candu.htm
I remember learning about CANDU reactors in high school ('84-'86), and one of the other benefits of it is that the use of heavy water as a moderator *and* coolant is what makes them far less prone to meltdown: in other designs (like Fukushima), if you loose the coolant water without stopping the reaction, the core can overheat very quickly... in a CANDU, if you lose the coolant, you also lose the moderator, and the reaction stops on its own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #1459

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts

A Japanese man talks about his efforts to save a dolphin that had been trapped in a flooded rice field since the March 11th tsunami: Taira found the dolphin struggling in the shallow seawater on Tuesday and after failing to net it, waded in to the field, which had yet to be sown with rice, to cradle the 1.2-meter (four foot) animal in his arms. “It was pretty weak by then, which was probably the only reason we could catch it,” he said. Taira and some friends wrapped the dolphin in wet towels and drove it back to the sea, where they set it free. The dolphin appeared to perk up when it was back in the Pacific, he said. “I don’t know if it will live, but it’s certainly a lot better than dying in a rice paddy,” Taira told the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #1460

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
No salt left at any grocery stores in HK.

We all know how amazingly well the Japanese have handled the situation. Imagine what it would be like in Hong Kong and China if it happened here? People go this fucking nuts as it is!
Last week, there was panic in China after rumors spread about dangerous levels of Japanese radiation reaching the country. It was rumored that iodized salt could protect people from radiation, so there was a huge rush on every store that sold salt.

According to China Daily Show, that ignorance-fueled shopping has made one man very rich:

China’s latest billionaire has acquired his new-found wealth practically overnight; in 2003, Lu’s salt-and-vinegar business sold out of every range of vinegar stocked, after locals became convinced the condiment provided protection from the SARS virus.

Lu invested all the family money in huge quantities of salt and vinegar, but by then, the crisis had passed and the vinegar craze was over.

“I was on a stopover in London and very hungry,” Lu recalled the origins of his unexpected success story. “The only thing I could buy at that hour were a traditional English delicacy: salt-and-vinegar crisps.’”

Lu was quickly hooked. He dropped out of college in 2002 and formed a business promoting the dish – but found fellow Chinese didn’t share his passion. Until last week, business for Lu’s ingredients was almost non-existent and Lu faced bankruptcy– but on Tuesday, trade began to pick up sharply.

By the weekend, Lu had sold the company to a Hebei-based conglomerate for a billion-dollar figure, invested in several coal mines, blown a million yuan on a Charlie Sheen-themed KTV-and-mahjong bender and established himself as a serious player in China’s burgeoning art market.

It isn’t entirely clear where the rumor came from, but Chinese authorities have arrested several people for spreading unfounded rumors about salt and radiation.

A short report about the salt-buying craze from NTDTV (an anti-CCP media outlet affiliated with Falun Gong )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wL5GS83A_kk
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #1461

Yes, I still smell people in HK boiling vinegar occasionally... They think it disinfects the air or some shit, as if air can be contaminated by cold or flu viruses
Old 03-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #1462
VLS Head Mod

holy shit, ANOTHER higher caliber earthquake just hit japan again

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/c...entid=28152960
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #1463
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I still smell people in HK boiling vinegar occasionally... They think it disinfects the air or some shit, as if air can be contaminated by cold or flu viruses
My parents did that when I was growing up. And they aren't idiots either, Engineer and Accountant. They just seem to swallow all of their hand-me-down wives tales.

Also.
omg. wtf. Aren't shallow quakes REALLY bad news?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #1464
Revscene Legend

Thanked 3,421 Times in 393 Posts
Quote:
You always talk shit about Chinese people and try to make them sound like they're complete dumbasses. In some cases I have to agree with you, but this time let's let science to the talking.

Quote:
Brown Rice Vinegar Sustains Good Health

Brown rice vinegar maintains good health by blocking two fatty peroxides from forming. One of these peroxides damages the free radicals in your body while the other facilitates cholesterol buildup on the walls of blood vessels. Both of these peroxides are prevented from doing damage by the amino acids in brown rice vinegar.
Brown Rice Vinegar as an Antiseptic

Brown rice vinegar is used in antiseptic medicines and can be used to cure athlete's foot. Brown rice vinegar has the potential to kill detrimental bacteria, such as those found in food, on contact.
On Black Vinegar and Thinning Blood

Black rice vinegar, known as black vinegar or kurosu, has blood-thinning properties and also has the ability to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Black Vinegar and Energy

Black vinegar boosts energy levels as it is a good source of citric acid---a compound crucial to the cell's production of energy.
Rice Vinegar and Lactic Acid Buildup

The amino acids in brown rice vinegar negate the lactic acid buildup in the blood which causes fatigue, irritability, stiffness and inflamed muscles. Lactic acid buildup can also lead to diseases.

dogeatcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #1465
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
^^^ Where is the medical journal where evidence of this is published?
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #1466
Revscene Legend

Thanked 3,421 Times in 393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
http://journal.shouxi.net/html/qikan...0867_8527.html

Here is a report of an experiment done by a Chinese labratory. It's in Chinese, but to sum it up, the bacterial median in the air was 5 before boiling of the vinegar, and 2 after. The experiment was done in comparison with an ultraviolet light, and the results for both were pretty much identical.
dogeatcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #1467
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,512 Times in 4,904 Posts
Quote:
in a 3000 year old scroll

can't laugh at ancient Chinese medicine

some of it is pure bullshit, but more than a few actually work.

If it weren't for Ancient Chinese inventions and discoveries, our world would be a little different.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #1468
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
No, the real question is "where the hell in that post does it say anything about boiling vinegar?"

Roll That Shit, Light That Shit, Smoke That Shit!

Quote:
(told to me by the stupidest person in the world)...
'Yeah, i've been to taco time before, but i got in trouble...I had a Mexican girlfriend who wanted to go to a mexican restaurant for our anniversery, so i took her to Taco Time"
91LS-VTak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogeatcookie View Post
You always talk shit about Chinese people and try to make them sound like they're complete dumbasses. In some cases I have to agree with you, but this time let's let science to the talking.
dude I have nothing against chinese people or traditions, in fact I am totally fascinated by traditions and history. Of all things to accuse me of, you picked a pretty bad one.

It's the NEW "traditions" caused by hysteria and fear-mongering that I point out as bullshit. This particular trend (NOT a tradition) really took off during SARS, which is caused by a VIRUS and has nothing to do with anti-bacterial properties of vinegar. Also, it is not airborne, so even if it was anti-viral, it would still be useless. Not that boiling vinegar would do anything to airborne illnesses anyway.

What you did was falsly accuse me of being anti Chinese (which in itself is funny) and post some bullshit fluff piece from a useless crap magazine to try to back up your point.

I have nothing against you, but you double failed here, sorry.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #1470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
My parents did that when I was growing up. And they aren't idiots either, Engineer and Accountant. They just seem to swallow all of their hand-me-down wives tales.

Also.
omg. wtf. Aren't shallow quakes REALLY bad news?
My own mother in law does it. (and for the record, I never said anyone was an "idiot" for doing it). She doesn't do too much of the weird chinese traditions and old wives tales, but she'll basically do whatever she thinks will help keep her family healthy. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a waste of effort (and it fucken stinks)
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #1471
Banned (ABWS)

jesus are we still talking about japan? libya is the new japan
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #1472
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Just to add fuel to the fire.
My parents did that boiling vinegar (white vinegar) for as long as I can remember. Many many years before SARS.

But what were we talking about again? How screwed Japan is?
Has there been news of the 2nd quake?

If you guys wanna debate proven/suspected/false chinese traditions, then let's take it to another thread k?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #1473

Japan is fine, the reactors are fine. I guess that's why there haven't been as many posts, and things are going off topic a bit.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:45 AM   #1474
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Japan is fine, the reactors are fine. I guess that's why there haven't been as many posts, and things are going off topic a bit.
If by fine, you mean that 2L water is still sold out everywhere, scheduled blackouts are still ongoing in Tokyo and that the economy is wiped for the next few years, yes, things are fine. I always do appreciate your blanket statements as the expert of all matters though.
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-28-2011, 04:51 AM   #1475
My homepage has been set to RS

^ sometimes, bottled water comes from the tap.. the contamination and the uncertainty that comes with it really messes you up.

Meanwhile, in reactor 2:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...rs-status.html

LATE MARCH 26 A worker measuring radiation levels of puddles of water near the reactor finds the readings exceed the scale of the instrument (meaning the level is extremely toxic) and is forced to leave the area immediately.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote